CHAPTER 23

Admitting I liked Roman out loud wasn't how I pictured the night going. I had been denying what I had been feeling about him for so long that finally admitting to it was like a weight lifted off my shoulder, but why did my chest feel heavy  and my stomach fill up with knots. Was it the fear of rejection? Was it doubt? Or was it me just being a chronic over thinker.

"But Yon, what if he doesn't feel the same way?" And she gives me a look that says otherwise. "Don't say dumb things like that Cléo, anyone can tell that man is obsessed with you," She says like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yeah, but what if he's just doing this because I'm just the warm available body he can always come back to," I spew out nonsense at this point. I mean I know, ok maybe there's an inkling that Roman feels the same way I do but I don't want to assume and be wrong and look like an absolute idiot. And I would want verbal confirmation because I start becoming delusional about people who don't feel the same.

"Jagi, you and I both know that Roman's only friends are Tako and Jeno, and newly Theodore. Also you already know how long it took you two to even get accustomed with each other and I don't think anyone has as much patience as you do," She says. I sigh, "I know but," She cuts me off, "No buts Cléo, everyone knows he likes you and you evidently like him back as well, now I just need the two of you to admit this to each other and all will be well with the world," She affirms.

"Now go put on something nice, we haven't gone out together in a long time, just me and you, no boys," She says and I smile. Didn't realize  how much I missed my best friend.

 𓈈

Making my way back to the dorm, I couldn't help and exhale loudly. It's been a crazy 24 hours and Cléo isn't making it easy on me. I decide to stop by Tako's apartment since I promise to come back, even though I'm coming back later than I promised. 

Without even knocking, I  walk into the apartment and take a seat on the couch. He comes out of the bathroom, trash bag in and looks at me, "I was starting to think you were never coming back," I roll my eyes in annoyance. 

"I told you I would come back, I had to make sure Cléo was okay, and I'm back right," I reply back sharply. 

"Since when did "be right back" translate to 3 hours," He sarcastically questions and I sigh.

"Alright man I get, I didn't realize how much time had passed, I apologize," I reply back in an apologetic tone. 

He laughs, "Ay man I was just joking around, I know how you get around Cléo, it's okay," I scoff at him. I snatch the trash bag from his hand and pick up the scattered cups on the counter.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean," I continue picking up the rest of the trash on his counter, not hearing a response I look at him to find him staring back at me.

"Oh spare me the excuses Roman, you and I both know that you like Cléo, everyone in the friend group does, well minus Theodore but he'll come to learn, actually scratch that I think he already knows," He says emphasizing already. 

"Well what makes you think I even like Cléo, and I'm not saying because I don't think she's likable, because she's a very likable person, she's caring and patient and extremely thoughtful. Sometimes I feel like I don't even deserve to know some like her, she's just so," I pause noticing Tako was just silently observing while I spewed my guts out about Cléo. I sigh in defeat, "Yeah okay maybe I have a may have developed a tiny crush, but can you blame me?" I ask.

"Honestly, no. I could tell from how close y'all have been lately," He confesses and chuckles," I haven't seen you so close to a girl, willingly since high school and it's been 3 years man," I roll my eyes but laugh along with him.