Chapter 11: Gifts

Russell made his way out after Howard and Cameron, and D1 was nowhere to be found, so he assumed she had taken off with them or gone her own way. No matter, he'd had quite a strange day. First, he had to discipline Howard, and now he had to reprimand his best friend. Maxion's corner of the station was a small unused classroom where new enlisted workers would come to learn the trade. It was not designed as a tailor shop, but Max made due. As Russell walked by, Maxion's outstretched tail pulled Russell into the room by surprise; he gently pushed the bunny up against the wall, leaving his tail coiled around his leg as his fingers did a tango on his chest, "Maxion, I don't have time for this," Russell frowned, "But I wanted to give you your anniversary gift!" Maxion added cutely. He kissed Russell on the lips, and when the bunny did not resist, he took that as an invitation. "Oh? And I suppose the gift is you letting me organize all this useless junk?"

Russell looked around the room; when he moved aboard, Maxion didn't hesitate to stuff all his collectibles from his years as a 'scavenger' into the room; he was indeed a hoarder. "Not quite!" He pulled Russell away from the doors and had him, Russell, on a pedestal where he could examine his ripped-up tribal wear. Two years as an enlisted security chief and a lifetime as a tribe member left his signature garments quite tarnished. He rubbed his chin and examined his outfit with curiosity. "You know— I always wondered why you kept wearing this stuff despite leaving your tribe... in all honesty, you need a new outfit," Maxion said. He was already taking Russell's measurements on an old-fashioned notepad, with a pencil and paper... and then he coiled Russell's form around in a measuring tape.

"Max, I don't have time for this!" Russell immediately tried to step off, "I promise we'll do something later, but I really gotta go!" Maxion insisted; he pulled Russell back onto the podium like a show pony and continued his brainstorming, biting his lip as he did. "It won't take but thirty minutes! I already did it; I have to make it fit your body. I could have it done in 15 minutes! I want you to look pretty for our date." Russell looked down at his outfit, "This belonged to my dad... and before him, his dad. It's all I've got left of him besides that pen. I feel like you know that, Maxion." Russell said, unamused.

Maxion nodded, and he stepped away into the depths of his collection. But was still in earshot of Russell. "You know that spy suit that you borrowed? And lost." Maxion started as he walked away to locate his suit crafting items. "The super snug one that was really uncomfortable? I can remember it— I'm glad I lost it." Russell crossed his arms and smiled triumphantly. Maxion returned with a familiar rubberized fabric and presented it to Russell. "Look what I made you! This is the gift. It would be best to have a new suit; you haven't changed your style since we met five years ago. This is the stuff I made my leg bag out of and the stealth suit you lost. And I kind of like what Cal's got going on, so I took inspiration," Maxion demonstrated the material's flexibility; black and grey latex-like synthetic fiber stretched easily. "This is the latest in Omeocoon design! It morphs and stretches with you as you use your shapeshifting powers! And it feels great like you're not even wearing pants!"

"Wait... you want to give me pants?" Russell questioned in horror, and Maxion nodded. "I know, my love, it's new, but I think you'd like it, and you'll look super sexy. The rest of the team will be jealous when they see you in your shiny new uniform! Plus, you'll blend in better with the rest of us. Let's be honest... the worn leather doesn't exactly scream futuristic. Trust me. I'll make your new pack out of the same stuff so you can match, and I'll give you toe inserts to make you more 'Omeocoon.' So?" Maxion asked. Russell looked down at his torn attire. He felt like giving up his old clothes was like throwing away a piece of himself. "Look, if you don't like it, I'll fix your old stuff, no sweat! After I shot through it, I saw you tried to do a patch job on your bag. I give you props for effort... but you need a sewing lesson." Maxion gave extra incentive. And Russell rubbed his chin, and after a moment of thought, he nodded. And Maxion jumped in excitement, immediately getting to work.