Chapter 48: Boot Camp

Russell turned on the light and blew his whistle without remorse. He filled it with air for 15 seconds. Entangled in blankets, Kody screamed as he fell from the height of his bunk bed and painfully hit the floor. Ollie, who was in the lower bunk, covered his head and face with his pillow and attempted to ignore the whistle. Howie lingered around, and in his hands, he hugged a tablet with the plan of the day. "Yeomen!" Russell turned his attention to Howie as he let the whistle fall, but he always kept it around his neck via lanyard. He had many things to do now: father and security chief, but he never forgot that Howie was still being rehabilitated, so he trained him, too. It was his brilliant idea to get to know his new children and his inmate all at the same time. "Yes?" Howie huffed with his attitude as usual, "What is the plan of the day?" Russell asked, briefly elevating himself on his tiptoes with his hands positioned behind his lower back. Howie paused and glared at Russell with a 'seriously.' Look on his face. He wrote the plan of the day. What's the point of asking him to recite it? Russell glared back, and that struck fear into Howie's heart. 

'Yeoman Howie,' turned his tablet on immediately as Russell eyed him and tapped away at the screen. Pulling up the spreadsheet. Of course, Russell already knew the plan. He just wanted Howie to say it out loud so his ego could be stroked effectively. "Let's see... first is physical training." Howie started with a low tone of voice. "Your volume is unsatisfactory, Yeoman. Try again." Russell growled sternly. Howie's eye twitched in irritation. He snarled and repeated himself, this time obnoxiously loud. "Physical training is up first, from 0530 to 0630! Followed by hygiene."

"Much better. Put some bass in your voice. You sound like a toothless gree-cat." Howie gritted his teeth, irritated by Russell's remarks, but he begrudgingly continued to recite the plan. "After hygiene, we'll have free time in the mess hall at 0700 hours. Following that, we'll move on to educational sessions from 0800 to 1100." His tone was strained, but he managed to keep it steady, knowing that any sign of defiance would lead to consequences.

Russell nodded approvingly at Howie's compliance. "Good. And what's on the agenda for the educational sessions today?" He prompted, eager to ensure that the day's activities proceeded according to his plan. "Ollie, Kody..? Are you listening?" Russell shuffled over to Ollie. As he groaned, he continued muffling his face with his pillow; Kody was standing at attention already— his coat already messed up.  

Howie glanced down at his tablet, quickly scanning through the schedule. "We have lessons in basic mathematics and literacy in the morning," He replied, his voice slightly softer now, the annoyance still lingering but somewhat subdued.

"Excellent. And after that?" Russell inquired, his demeanor firm as usual. "We have scheduled therapy sessions from 1100 to 1300," Howie continued, his tone becoming more resigned as he recited the remaining activities. "Good mental health is important. Especially for individuals who were being held captive in a lizard prison camp. Continue." Russell observed, "Then we have shape-shifting training with Tommy in the afternoon."

That caused Ollie to sit up immediately, "Hold on. Are we seeing Tommy today? Jeez, I'm a mess!" Ollie shouted, which seemed to get his vitalium pumping. He rushed out of bed and ripped open a drawer, scrambling through his personal hygiene items— which, as an Omeocoon, didn't include very many. Toothbrush, skin cream. He had to keep himself looking good; skin cream kept his colors vibrant and shiny. Anything else he could just alter at will, a different hairstyle? Easy. Longer tail? No sweat. He also had to shower. "You seemed to like being around Tommy? Maybe you could put that infatuation to good use and turn in your homework assignments from last night. Which you still owe me."

"Can't you get off my back, old man? You're giving me a headache!" Ollie said, rubbing his temple, "Are you sure it's me? Or is it your alcoholic withdrawal kicking in?" Russell smirked as he watched Ollie fiddle around with the drawer. Kody raised his hand, "What, Kody?"

"May I go to medical...? I think I have the sniffles." Kody asked peacefully, "No. You may not. Cam gave you a clean bill of health before he left. And I have no intention of feeding your Münchausen syndrome. We have physical training to do." The group departed after a further struggle with authority. "So. Is this familial connection permanent?" Ollie asked as Russell led them to the gym. "Yes. I hope that we'll get along, Ollie. You're a bit stubborn, like Kipp. But in time, I'm sure I can tame you." Ollie rolled his eyes. He wasn't a horse or some parakeet. He didn't need to be 'tamed.' But there was an upside. "Well... at least I get to be brothers with my best friend." Ollie put his arm around Kody's shoulders, and the kitty smiled wearily at that.