Chapter 3: In Silence

Kai could walk on his own, the pain was finally subsiding, and he was freed from all casts; now his only discomfort was in the chest, near his heart. That was to be expected; Cam once let it slip that part of his heart had been replaced by a rubber or something like that, which grossed him out, so he told his primary caregiver not to reveal any medical jargon as long as he was in medical, his wounds were completely healed, not even a scar. So they talked about other things, like... life stuff. Kai could eventually walk alone, but a part of him liked being around Cam. Real medic or not, he did possess a decent bedside manner. "Have you spoken to your cousin recently?" Cam asked randomly; sometimes Kai had forgotten that he 'lived' in medical. Because of the nature of the way they sleep, Cam could liquefy and fit into just about any space. He liked to be close to his work; that was his claim. "No. I haven't. He's busy, so I don't like to bother him... and you won't let me leave medical."

"Oh... right," Cam replied absentmindedly. "Is it true that Yar's ship is still here?"

"Yes! It's our ship now; it's a little thing, but Kipp hopes to get it working one day. But if you ask me... Let's get rid of it."

"Because of the nature of its origin?"

"Yes." Cam replied bluntly, "I don't blame you. It's only been three months... and I still can't believe I got out alive. What happened to all those survivors? The 40?"

"Oh, yeah. I was able to reverse the mind-numbing effects in their systems. They've all recovered, and most are still on the station."

"Oh? Did some take off?"

"Yes, some wanted to settle on the islands still kicking around. Kai sighed, memories of the harrowing experience flooding back to him. "It was a miracle we found them when we did," He murmured, his gaze distant. "If we had called for Yar's trick..." Cam nodded solemnly, understanding the gravity of the situation. "You were lucky," Cam agreed. "You're safe now."

"Yeah," Kai said softly, his mind drifting to the survivors and the horrors they had endured. "But they'll never be the same. None of us will." There was a moment of silence between them as they reflected on the events that had transpired. Eventually, Cam broke the silence with a lighter tone. "You'll be ready to go soon. I'm sure you can't wait to get out of here!"

"Yeah... I noticed that people avoid this place. It's lonely sometimes." Kai commented, "That might be because of me." Cam speculated sheepishly. He remembered that he was Kieran's right hand, and neither did the other inhabitants. "What do you mean by that?" Kai asked; of course, he and Cam's conversations mainly focused on positive things, so they never ventured into the depths of the charges that destroyed the planet's population or Kieran. They talked about his recovery or his brother's actions. Bodi had elected to stay with Tommy in his room. Then, Bodi encouraged Kai to stay with Tommy in that same room. Which, of course, he was happy to agree to. It was encouraged because with that explosion a while ago, most of the other quarters were destroyed, and a station that could once comfortably accommodate 500 passengers was suddenly capable of supporting 500 passengers, with the exception that they share– three individuals in a room. So, everyone was a little less comfortable.

"I... I'd rather not." Cam responded that Kai could understand that, so he dropped it. "Can you at least tell me a little about yourself? Meaning not about the mysterious reason why people avoid medical because of you."

"Well... I grew up in the Capital; I'm an only child. G1, I was a part of a split, but because of complications during formation, my counterpart didn't survive."

"Yeesh... sorry."

"Don't be. It's called twinless twinning. It happens sometimes. Mucusus isn't perfect."

"Right. So, what did you do before you ended up here?" Kai asked, genuinely curious about Cam's past.

"I was a... psychiatric tech at Cloudy Heights. However... the way I acquired my education... is why people don't come to medical." Cam wouldn't talk about it, but he changed his mind— he'd rather not hide it. He started his previous life on a lie; he didn't want to repeat that mistake. "I'm a fraud, a faker. I don't even have a medical degree... or basic medical training. I'm only here because they need my help." Cam spilled over, "If any other person is even remotely qualified to give medical care. Then I'd be in a cell."

"Oh. Well... you didn't do a pretty good job with me. And Narr tells me she learns a lot from you... so I wouldn't be so sure about that. I like talking to you, too." Kai said with a warm smile. Cam grunted and returned it. Speaking of the devil, Narr entered the room. "Salutations!" She chirped. Since the Yar incident, she'd been given a job as an actual DP warrant officer; she'd been given a uniform complete with silver bars that contained a black break on her collar, which denoted her status as a third-class Warrant Officer and a DP official. "I hope I didn't miss anything?" She asked; she used her wings to push up a chair and briefly lifted herself airborne to land on it correctly. "No... we were just talking about you, actually!" Kai sat up a little more. He was happy. Narr decided to stay. "I was doing my research project with D1."

"And what might that be?" Kai asked, his ear twitching from curiosity.

"Well, I don't think you should hear this. It could stress you out; too much stress equals heart palpitations. And I needn't remind you that 43% of your heart has been replaced by cardioelastium." She was correct; he wasn't sure if he was ready to tackle such things, but it was better to know rather than sit around.

Kai nodded understandingly, appreciating Narr's concern for his well-being. "I trust your judgment, Narr," he said, offering her a reassuring smile. "If you think I shouldn't hear about it, I'll respect that." But he didn't... Kai had a bit of a protective nature, knowing his brother was on the station and now cousin. He didn't want to be rude to his new friends.

"Thank you, Kai," Narr replied, returning his smile. "I just want to ensure you're taking care of yourself. You were my first real patient, so... I'm a bit attached."

"I understand," Kai said sincerely, glancing between Cam and Narr. "You've both been a huge help during my recovery." Cam nodded in agreement. "We're just doing our jobs," he said modestly, though there was warmth in his eyes.

"Well, you're both doing a fantastic job!" Kai insisted, his gratitude evident in his tone. "And I'm lucky to have you both looking out for me." Narr hopped at Kai's words. "We're lucky to have you, too," She said warmly. "Now, enough about me and my research. Let's talk about something more fun!" Kai chuckled, feeling grateful for the lighthearted shift in conversation. "Agreed," He said, relieved to leave the heavier topics behind for now. "So, what's new in your world, Narr?"

"Well, I'm halfway through an Omeocoon medical text, volume four. So, in a few days, I'll know as much about your physiology as any other doctor in your homeworld. And I've finished my first report for the Patrol. I was waiting for Tommy to read it. But he seems to be evasive."

"That's one way to describe it. Ever since Kori died, he's different. I feel like he's trying to avoid being thrust into the position of Chancellor."

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the leader of the planet dies, and there's no one left in the chain of command to rise to the position, isn't it customary to select a new one by way of voting?" Narr examined, but she focused on the medical practices rather than the leadership regarding Omeocoon customs. So, her reasoning was based on DP regulation.

"Well, no one here has received advanced leadership training. And he's saved the station many times. So people... like him. He protects us. He's still an icon; he's the first of our people to join the Patrol, so naturally, he's an icon." Cam analyzed.