Chapter 5: Friends

Howie was in the leaning rest position for about 44 minutes because he kept putting his knees on the deck; Russell kept his word of resetting the timer. He'd broken down into pitiful tears. "Please... stop!" He pleaded, and eventually Russell relented, "Get up." He huffed. And so Howie did. "What did we learn?"

"Never... to... be... late." He strained in between exhausted breaths. Howie was a G2, so this physical pain of fatigue was real for him, so he would never be late again. "Good. Now that this is done. I suppose we're behind schedule, thanks to you." Russell said, planting his hands behind his back; he started to pace back and forth slowly, like a shark zeroing in on prey. Let's pick up from there:

"Now," Russell continued, his voice low and menacing, "We need to make up for lost time. And you, Howard, will have to work twice as hard to prove yourself. Tommy is expecting a security report tomorrow morning. I've had six protesters on the promenade today, and Cam wants to establish a protocol for getting new medicine from traders, so I guess we'll need to add a trading route to the 150-step plan." Howie nodded, wiping the gooey sweat from his brow with a trembling hand. He knew he had made a grave mistake by being late, and now he had to face the consequences. But he was determined to redeem himself in Russell's eyes.

"What do you need me to do?" Howie asked, his voice shaky but determined. Russell paused, his eyes narrowing as he considered his next move. "Carry the paperwork and be an official witness. That means doubling your efforts in training and no slacking off." Howie swallowed hard, steeling himself for the grueling tasks ahead. He knew he had to prove himself worthy of Russell's trust and respect again.

"And remember," Russell added, his tone stern, "Punctuality is key. You can't afford to be late again." With a nod, Howie braced himself for the challenges that lay ahead. He may have stumbled today, but he was determined to rise above his mistakes and prove himself as a capable member of society. "Have you been studying the manuals I gave to you?" Russell asked as he returned to the office. Howard followed behind, "Yes. I have been... they're very... thorough." The manuals in question were written by Russell and designed to catch Howie up on the latest concerning Omeocoon topics and miscellaneous things like manners and common sense items that most people would know, but Howie seemed not to know. "Very well... don't forget to study; your first exam will soon arrive."

"Exam?! You didn't tell me there were exams!"

Russell moved behind the desk, looking at Howard like he was an idiot. "Well, duh? When one studies, that usually implies an exam to test one's knowledge of what they've learned. Do you want to be a bum?"

"No, I don't."

"Good, then I suggest you look at chapters three and four, and then after that, you can-- Hey!" Russell shouted abruptly; this made Howard jump, but it didn't take him but a second to realize that Russell wasn't talking to him; he was talking to his raccoon boyfriend, at least that's what Howie and the rest of the station thought their relationship was... no one was really sure, Maxion, just so happened to have a little tailor shop on the other side of the promenade, across from Russell. "Where's my pen?!" He moved across the corridor, and Howie followed, taking his files from earlier off the desk. "I don't know what you're talking about." Maxion started coyly fixing the latest in Omeocoon appearance modifiers on display in his front windows, personal storage like backpacks and leg bags similar to the one he wore; he also had the leggings which were becoming commonplace in society now; it seemed it was easier to change the entirety of Omeocoon tradition when there were less than 6,000 people left alive in the whole of the civilization. "You know damn well what I mean! My pen! My favorite pen, it's lucky. My dad gave it to me when I was an extrusion, and I know you've been in my room, you trash bandit!"

Maxion glanced up from his workbench, his eyes wide with innocence. "Good morning to you, too. I don't know what you're talking about." He said innocently. Russell narrowed his eyes, unconvinced by Maxion's protestations of innocence. "Don't play dumb with me, Max. Just give it back."

"Oh! You mean this one?" He reached into his bag and pulled out the item, a sleek and stylish writing tool adorned with intricate designs and the official emblem of the office, which was the tribe that Russell was a part of. It was made of fine materials such as polished metal and luxurious wood.

Russell's frustration grew, his patience wearing thin. He reached for it, but Maxion pulled it out of view right away. Russell smacked his lips, "I don't have time for this, Max. That pen means a lot to me." Maxion's expression softened slightly, his playful demeanor fading as he met Russell's gaze. "Okay, okay. I may have borrowed it for a little while, well... If we pooled resources and moved in together, your stuff would be my stuff, and my stuff would be yours... therefore, it would be our pen." He admitted sheepishly. "But I promise I'll return it to you, good as new. But you have to do something for me first."

"Like break every bone inside of your stupid gooey body? Say less." Russell pounded a fist into the palm of his hand and then stepped closer to Maxion.

Maxion held up his hands defensively, a nervous chuckle escaping him. "Whoa, whoa, calm down, Russell," He said hastily, his tail twitching anxiously behind him. "I don't want any trouble. I need a little favor from you, that's all." Russell eyed Maxion warily, his expression unreadable. "What kind of favor?" He demanded, his tone sharp. Maxion shifted uncomfortably under Russell's intense gaze. "It's nothing big, really," He replied, trying to sound nonchalant. "Move in with me. It makes so much sense! We wouldn't have to take up so much space. And that's at a premium these days."

"Really? You have to do this right now?" Russell snipped; he glanced back at Howie, who was standing awkwardly; he didn't have the right to interfere, so clearly, he was standing there, looking pretty as an assistant should be. "We'll discuss this later," He added, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Maxion nodded eagerly, relieved that Russell hadn't immediately dismissed his request. "Of course, of course," He agreed quickly, a hopeful glint in his eyes. "Just let me know when you're ready to talk. Are we still on for tonight, though?"

Russell actually grinned a little and moved closer. Howie thought he would kiss Maxion, but Russell grabbed Maxion's wrist and tightly closed his hand around it; the bone-crushing sound effect was immediate. "Ah! Heh... that's a little tight, babe!"

"If you don't give me back that pen, we'll have our date in medical, but you'll be in a body cast. Doesn't that sound romantic?" Maxion smiled wearily at that, "Your threats don't work on me; I like it when you get all rough!" Maxion continued, he did like it like that. But this interaction would not end in the merging of their bodies. They were still in phase one of rekindling their relationship. This was new to both of them. But Maxion knew enough about the bunny to know when he wasn't joking around; he eased the pen out of Maxion's grip by gently massaging the bones in his wrist. "There," Russell said calmly; he'd won, so he got his pen back, and Maxion got his wrist back. He gripped it immediately, "So that's a yes?"

"You better not be late," Russell said once, and Howie knew the consequence of being late. Maxion was his favorite person, so it would be unfavorable to see him in medical. With that settled, Russell turned back to Howie. "Let's get back to work," He said briskly, his earlier frustration seemingly forgotten as he resumed his usual demeanor. Howie nodded, grateful for the distraction from the tense situation. As they headed back to their tasks, Howie couldn't help but wonder what would come of Maxion's request and how it would affect their dynamic in the office. But for now, he focused on the tasks at hand, determined to prove himself worthy of Russell's trust again.