Chapter 56: Fallen

The escape pod landed flawlessly. Although, it had some difficulties. Mainly pilot error. Tommy might've had an instruction manual and advice from Kipp's engineering staff about how to fix this thing. But he knew next to nothing when it came to piloting. After touching down, Russell nearly rocketed off the pod, thrilled to be off that death trap. Tommy followed him. "Well. I can see that the pilot gene certainly didn't fall on you, did it, Tommy?" Russell commented, huffing fresh oxygen as Tommy rubbed his back and hunched over, grabbing his knees like he was about to vomit. Fortunately for their species, such a task was impossible unless unusual circumstances were involved to induce vomiting. "Are you okay, Russell?" Bodi asked as he disembarked from the pod with Ollie and Kody. "I'll live."

Kody looked around and looked nervous, as usual. "Is that it?" He pointed to the large stone walls surrounding several structures. Russell stood up straighter and examined the site; most notably, no more hunters were present. Despite the terms by which they left last time, Russell still felt anxious around his former home. The gates were wide open, as instituted by the new council in charge of the village. This was a welcome change as it meant that the tribe members were now free to roam the forest as they pleased without being labeled as deserters. "Well, it seems that Maggie is doing well for herself." Ollie planted his hands on his hips as he looked at the village. Tommy eyed him with astonishment. "How did you know about that?" Tommy asked. He couldn't help but grin as he observed Ollie's unexpected familiarity with the village, "Oh. Russell gave Kody and me access to his personal database. It has logs of everything that happened. So that way, I don't have to play catch up." Ollie commented. Tommy was impressed by that little sliver of initiative.

Russell led them to what he assumed would be the front gate, but observing the large metal doors— it was tagged with spray paint and blown off the hinges; Russell's mouth was slightly agape as he furrowed his eyebrows he ran a hand along the surface of the door, observing the red logo, which was hastily painted as a sign of warning. It appeared they were attacked. Tommy followed behind Russell quickly and observed the damage; "Stay behind me." He ordered Ollie, Kody, and his cousin. Bodi seemed to sense danger. But he would not respect Tommy's orders, so he moved alongside; Tommy scanned Bodi's defiance, "Bode." Tommy warned sternly. "Tommy, no! I want to come with you. Please... I can help." Tommy nodded, ignoring the subtle rebellion. "Fine. But if I say run, you run. Do you understand me? This isn't a game." Tommy ordered firmly, taking Bodi by his arm. He was technically not allowed to order the Chancellor around, but he was Bodi's sole protector in the absence of Kai. He reserved the right to defend his Chancellor and cousin. Bodi nodded. "Well. I suppose you want to come along too?" Russell sighed at Ollie and Kody as he looked over his shoulder. They didn't answer, but the body language was clear.

"What happened?" Tommy asked Russell as his eyes darted around, separating from the team's younger members. He observed the damage. "I'm investigating," Russell replied coldly— Tommy groaned at that; he recognized the symbol; the sphere featured shades of orange with streaks of red and was instantly recognizable as the symbol of Mars. Home to the human race. "Poachers." Tommy pointed out immediately, "That's the symbol for Mars. Remember?" Tommy stated, attempting to jog Russell's memory; during their several merges, Russell was indeed aware of all the common Patrol symbols for each race... but he didn't think the humans were still alive. Let alone able to make it far enough to attack his former tribe, Russell rushed into the village and looked at the various buildings that used to make up the promenade. Some were torched beyond recognition, houses, shops... bodies. "Hello?" Bodi called out in cupped hands, his voice echoing into the distance. The group paused to observe the serene atmosphere, waiting for someone to call back. But there was nothing.

Bodi stepped back, rubbing his armband... something like this had happened to his village. They were lost to a disaster— he had some idea of what Russell was probably feeling right now, gutted, on the verge of tears perhaps. Wanting to hurt everyone and everything in his path. Wanting to take off on a whirlwind space adventure to avoid the pain. "I guess we know what became of those humans. They figured out a way off that island and then... wanted revenge. It's my fault." Tommy started. Russell hissed, "No! It's not your fault. We should've just killed those humans when we had the chance!" Tommy's shoulders slumped as he took in Russell's fierce reaction, the air thick with tension and unshed grief. "We can't change the past," Russell said softly, his voice barely carrying. "But we can make sure they didn't suffer in vain. We need to find the poachers. They couldn't have gone that far."

Tommy asked, treading lightly. "What makes you think anyone is still alive?" Russell ventured deeper into the village, refusing to respond to the inquiry; Tommy and the rest followed, and their steps became more cautious, eyes scanning for any sign of life or clues to what had transpired. With his keen senses and familiarity with the village, Russell led the way. They passed through what once was a bustling village center, where people once occupied homes and worked in shops that sold clothing and other miscellaneous trinkets, now reduced to ashes and rubble. Here and there, personal items lay scattered, a haunting reminder of the lives violently interrupted.

Kody, who'd been quiet since their arrival, suddenly stopped in his tracks, his eyes fixed on a small, charred doll lying unowned beside a fountain that had ceased to flow. "There were children here," He whispered, the weight of the tragedy settling heavily on his shoulders. The group shared a moment of silence. Each lost in their thoughts about the magnitude of the loss. "Let's move on," Russell ordered, leading them to the security station... where Blade would work, where he was forced to stay in solitary confinement. "What's over here... Russell." Bodi asked as they entered, he'd been meticulously scanning the area, but before Russell could answer, Ollie called out, "Over here!" He was standing at the entrance to what appeared to be a bunker or safe room, its door ajar but unscathed by the destruction. Tommy and Russell rushed over. But as Russell stepped down to be the first one, Tommy took hold of his shoulder. "Russell... you don't have to go down there."

"Why? Because it's where they tortured me?" Russell asked frantically, "If someone is alive down there, Tommy, I have to know." Tommy nodded. His approval was more of a formality. He wasn't so sure if he could change Russell's mind about descending into the hell that was his forced absorption of the tribe. They followed behind him.