Chapter 6: Weather

The area of interest was flooded with a blinding purple light; of course, they'd arrived during a sand storm, which Omeocoon was notorious for. But they were in the Capital city; Gauge's eyes were locked on the skyscrapers he could see from the main street they'd materialized in. Polly was right beside him. His first instinct was to check the time displacement device. To the typical, untrained eye, it looked like a camcorder sitting on a tripod, but to Polly and Gauge, this device was their only way home. "Steady as she goes?" Gauge proposed he held an instrument to monitor life signs and other things. This multitool was also from Insight, so it was incredibly sophisticated, "What's the atmosphere, Doc Brown?" Polly toyed on Back To The Future again; he had to admit this was pretty exciting. Gauge smiled at that, "No radio, no heat source—nobody's home. The atmosphere is 71% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. And traces of Aragon gas." A stray lightning bolt struck the side of one of the buildings and caused the windows on the side to explode in a powerful wave of glass and sawdust; Gauge flinched. "Now that's weather." 

"Just like home." Polly added, being from the vastness of space, he could remember being met with harsh conditions,  "Only if you're breathing through an exhaust pipe! This storm is wreaking havoc on the equipment; I think if I were breathing this in, I'd be dead in like... three minutes!" Guage added, "Don't be dramatic." It was good that they were wearing special suits similar to space suits, but they were much more compact and properly aligned with their DP super suit color schemes, well, at least for Gauge; for Polly, that was just his pattern. But these were not just meant to protect them from the atmosphere; they were also meant to keep the effects of time from punishing them too harshly. This technology was dormant for so long, it was unpredictable, and it was best to take precautions. "Well, this is 2102. But it's much different than I was expecting. I wrote a report on this era once in sixth grade... I didn't think it was this bad."  Even though they were talking through radio, the sheer strength of the wind and the power of the sand grazing up against their suits was enough to cause Gauge and Polly to yell over the sound of it. "Reports never fully prepare you for the real thing," Polly added again. "We should try the teleportation matrix; there's nothing to see here." Gauge agreed; Polly turned toward his brother and moved closer as he watched him manipulate this device again. "Where should we go?" 

"Mom gave us 48 hours, and then we have to head back... let's not waste too much time," Polly warned. He knew Gauge was excited, but sometimes his enthusiasm must be restrained. 

"You're no fun!" 

"I'm a strategist, it's my job." 

Gauge chuckled, acknowledging Polly's point. "Fair enough," He conceded. "Let's make the most of our time then." Polly nodded in agreement. Although a helmet surrounded his head, he maneuvered his torso to mimic a nod. "Any particular destination in mind?" Gauge tapped on the interface of the teleportation matrix, pulling up a holographic map of the city. "Uh? How about anywhere that's not here... and somewhere with a mirror? These suits probably messed up my hair."

"You're a shapeshifter? Why would your hair be messed up?" Gauge replied, "I still have personal care routines!" Gauge rolled his eyes, "How about we just start with City Hall? That's where they commanded the Capital, Chancellor's chambers, I think it's called? Isn't it?" 

 "You tell me... I've only been here once and never in this time frame." So it was decided, and with a few more adjustments to the teleportation matrix, Gauge set the coordinates for the central district. The area shimmered with energy as the teleportation process began.

The duo's mission was successful; they'd traveled across time but were unaware of the dangers of crossing universes.