Chapter 24: Arrested

Gauge groaned in agony as he shifted on an uncomfortable bed... more like cardboard; he opened his eyes to a dark cell that did not have windows. "Polly--?" He sat up immediately and found that his head was pounding. Gauge squared his shoulders, gritted his teeth, and slumped back on the bed; pain had won this battle. His utility belt was no longer around his waist. Additionally, the time displacer was nowhere to be seen, and he was handcuffed. Great day. His first instinct was to break out, but if he wanted to gain the trust of these people, he had to start somewhere... and he was weak, very weak, so he wasn't using his powers anytime soon. Gauge squinted as his cell door opened briefly, allowing someone to enter and sealed behind the visitor with a distinctive locking sound. It was dark, but he could make out the orange and black Tommy as he stood with a tablet and approached him. He pulled a chair from the corner of the room and sat across from Gauge. "So you keep saying you're from the future? But so far, I see someone who's forged a logo belonging to a Dynamic Patrol Hero." 

Gauge blinked in confusion... as far as he knew, this was his first time awake. "Oh, sorry, you've been out for three and a half hours. But you talk in your sleep when you get electrocuted... and you drool a lot. Kipp did a scan of your technology... it's incredibly sophisticated, even for Dynamic Patrol technology. When did they start issuing cloaking devices for spies?" 

"Where am I?" Gauge asked. He looked around and tried to stand up again, but Tommy stopped him by easing him back on the bed via his shoulders. Gauge moaned weakly at physical contact, "Easy. You just took over 400 volts to your nervous system. It really stings, doesn't it?" Tommy snickered; he knew firsthand what it felt like because D1 had done the same to him when they first met. "I'm not a spy... just merge with Polly, and you'll understand," Gauge tried to persuade weakly, but Tommy was unconvinced. "Your friend is not in any condition to merge; let's not worry about him now; let's talk about you," Tommy said as he slipped back into his chair. Gauge's face was changed to that of concern as the news came to him. "Wait? Is Polly okay?" Tommy could see the genuine worry on Gauge's face; even as he was stricken with constant agony because of the aftermath of the security droid's shock, he could tell he cared about his partner. "Tell me," Tommy changed the subject; he pulled out Gauge's things. "You're a tinkerer, like my nephew; this belt is full of little gadgets and gizmos; it's all impressive. But we don't know how any of it works. What's your call sign? Are you a sidekick? Senior member?"

"Junior member." Gauge specified right away. "I'm from a different time... but this is all wrong; you're blue... not orange, and there are five team members, right?" Tommy ignored Gauge and opened his utility belt. He pulled out an ID card, which was clearly a Dynamic Patrol ID, specialized and only issued to graduates of the hero training courses. Tommy had a matching one, "So... you're from a different time?" Tommy tried to follow; temporal mechanics and other concerns with time travel did not come to be his strongest subject in school, "Mmm...maybe a different universe, too?" Gauge slurred his speech a little but tried to focus. His tongue felt exceptionally numb. "Now that I think about it... that would explain why you're orange. Unless you've changed your form?"

"I can tell you the only time I've altered my appearance is to change my pattern. That's it." That explained the unkempt appearance of the cheeks and tail. "Well... Gauge," Tommy said, reading the name off of his card, "Have you considered that you've lost your mind? I mean, it's a possibility. Do they still do an intense psychological exam before you go to hero boot camp?"

"I know. It sounds crazy, but I'm telling you the truth. I swear." Tommy scrutinized Gauge carefully; his brow furrowed in deep thought as he processed the information. Despite his skepticism, there was a hint of curiosity in his eyes, a glimmer of possibility that perhaps there was more to Gauge's story than met the eye.

"Here's some advice: usually people who want to be proven innocent don't say 'I swear.' But you didn't attack my nephew or my cousin... so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt." Tommy said slowly, his voice cautious yet open-minded. "I'll hear you out. But you've got to give me some answers. How did you end up here?"

Gauge took a deep breath, his mind racing as he tried to figure out the best way to explain his situation without revealing too much. "It's a long story," He began, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "Make it not long." Tommy insisted, and Gauge sighed, "Basically, my brother and I were on a mission for my mom's company, and I think something went wrong with our time displacement device. We're from the year 2499. At first, things seemed to be right... sure, details were wrong here and there, but I chalked it up to historians not being detailed enough; I guess I didn't realize it wasn't the same universe. Huh... I guess under different circumstances, this would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries ever."

Tommy listened intently, his expression thoughtful as he absorbed Gauge's words. "And Polly? What is he to you?" He prompted, his curiosity piqued by the mention of Gauge's companion. Gauge's gaze softened, a flicker of pride crossing his features. "Polly's... my brother, he calls me his playmate sometimes. He's a strategist in training, support hero class." He admitted, choosing his words carefully.

Tommy nodded in understanding, his skepticism slowly giving way to empathy as he began to grasp the gravity of Gauge's situation. "Alright, Gauge," He said finally, his tone firm yet compassionate. "I believe you. But we're going to need to figure this out together. And if you're telling the truth about being from another time, universe... or both. Then we've got some serious work to do." Tommy noted as he looked at Gauge's identity card. He slipped it back into the belt and was prepared to leave. Little did Gauge know Polly was next door being interrogated by Cal; he was asking the exact same questions as Tommy was, down to the letter, and in the end, they would come together and check the facts against each other if they told the same story, they were fine. But if even the smallest of details were out of order, they would have a problem. Without a lie-detecting machine, this was the way to go. Gauge groaned again. He and Tommy wouldn't have this conversation if he could use his super strength, but since Polly wasn't around to forge the connection required to use his powers, Gauge was, in effect... just a normal dog. "Can you let me out of these cuffs at least?"

"No. I don't think so." Tommy confirmed; Gauge sighed and struggled against his cuffs. "Listen, just relax; the more you move around, the worse it's gonna feel." Then Tommy left, leaving Gauge alone with his own thoughts.