Chapter 54: Home

The crew continued on their journey once they'd finished with the planet. They'd collected enough fuel-charged water to last them another 600 lightyears. In addition, they harvested perishables, which meant that Gauge no longer had to live off a bag of IV fluid, as long as he didn't mind eating straight fruit until they found something more delectable for him to snack on. Rapidly making their way toward the coordinates Maxion imputed into the main computer. Kai monitored the course and kept an eye on space as they approached. "That looks like a nebula," Kai commented in awe as they approached the large disturbance in space. Maxion stood next to Kai, nodding in confirmation. "A class four nebula, to be exact." Kai nodded slowly, "Your mom owns an entire nebula? Is that legal?" Maxion sighed and answered, "When you're rich, you can buy whatever you want." Maxion smiled, but Kipp could tell that behind his eyes, he was suffering in silence. The ship accelerated into a patch open to space, allowing the crew to slip into the nebula.

 The interior was just as pretty as the exterior—a vibrant sea of gas and dust, glowing in a symphony of colors. Hues of pink and purple mix with swathes of deep blues and fiery oranges, each color seemingly telling a story as the Ecletus flew into range of a spherical object floating in the center of the nebula's space, a moon.

It was about the size of Earth's moon and was protected by a shield grid, which shimmered in gold and silver, encased by a blue energy field that protected it from the nebula's radiation. "What is that?" Gauge asked excitedly, "I've never seen anything like it!" His tail wagged as he looked out the window. Cam and Cal observed in curiosity as well. "It's called an artificial moon."

"Wait? So your mom... built a habitable world?" Kipp asked with his engineer's curiosity. Terraforming planets was not impossible. Many mega corporations accomplished that goal and then advertised their 'perfect' planets to those born on less fortunate planets. In 2049, the start-up company Avalon, from the Kitarrian homeworld, offered domestic units on a planet they'd colonized, and the business only exploded from there. But as far as Kipp knew, they terraformed plants that already existed. He'd never heard of anyone creating one from scratch. The technology to do so would've been... extraordinary.

"When you're as rich as god, you can have whatever you want. My mom liked the nebula and thought it was pretty. So she claimed it and made it home; she brought in a specialized team of engineers. It took her years to synthesize the core, and from there, basic materials were added: atmosphere, water, and landscape. Not only is it the residence, but it's also the primary refinery for all of the ore she mines and cycles through the galaxy."

"That's all fine and dandy, but how do we get past that force field?" Kai asked. He slowed the ship to a halt, and they waited for a solution. Maxion inched over to the helm, inputting a set of codes into the console. The shield grid flickered as Maxion's fingers played over the console, each keystroke echoing with the weight of authority and knowledge. There was a silent moment, the tension almost tangible, as they all watched the golden-silver web oscillate, the blue energy field pulsating with each entered command.

Then, like the unveiling of a secret passage long forgotten, a section of the shield grid dissolved, opening a gateway into this manufactured paradise. Maxion turned to the crew, his eyes carrying a glimmer of pride as he smiled in surprise. "Still works." He commented to himself. He would've expected his mother to have changed the codes. Either she forgot to, or her son still meant something to her, at least a little bit.

"We have a small window before it reactivates," He said, his voice carrying the undercurrent of a past wrapped in opulence and expectation. "Kai, go ahead."

Kai, with a steady hand, guided the ship through the opening. They glided into the artificial moon's embrace, its iridescent clouds reflecting off the hull. The nebula created a similar effect to a planet's sun, its luminescence creating a vibrant hue that lit up the surface. They still required the ship's exterior lighting as they flew over the lush greenery and vast oceans. Several intricate structures hinted at a sophisticated blend of technology and luxury. Refineries, guest houses, and facilities that couldn't quite be named but all the same followed the all-glass and stainless steel architecture uniformity. Because the nebula blocked off most sunlight, the shield also served as an additional artificial source of heat and light. As they approached, the crew were all enveloped in their own thoughts; some were nervous, and some seemed impressed by the wealth bleeding from this moon's veins.

As the Ecletus descended towards a docking bay, the crew was left to marvel at the sight. Kai landed it perfectly. The ship vibrated slightly as it touched the ground. "Securing engines, prepping starboard hatch," Kipp informed; everyone stood up, and Maxion rubbed his arms awkwardly. "Uh... maybe you should all stay behind for a few hours. I don't want my mom to get overwhelmed with so many people at once." The rest of the crew groaned simultaneously, "But you've gotta let us come!" Kai begged practically on his hands and knees. "I've never seen anything like this. Please, Max."

Maxion chuckled at the crew's eagerness. But if they knew his mother like he knew his mother, they wouldn't be jumping at the chance to step foot on her fake moon. "But... I will take Kipp." Kipp perked up, very surprised by that. He had little interest in meeting Maxion's mother— he'd seen all he needed to see during his merge with Maxion. "Wait a minute..? You want me to come with you?"

"Sure, why not? You should meet your gramma. If that's the term you prefer... and I want to come. I want to show you this place." Kipp looked around the cabin, seemingly seeking the approval of someone who didn't exist. The pressure of his friends seemed to weigh in on his decision. "If he doesn't go. I'll go!" Gauge volunteered, and Kipp rose out of his chair. "Nope. I'll go." He said quickly as if the spot were indeed up for grabs. Gauge frowned, seemingly disappointed by Kipp's decision— however, he understood the sentiment. "Then it's settled. Kipp and I will take a little trip and return for you all in a few hours. Hopefully, with some news."

Cam approached Maxion and nodded. "Okay... just be careful, you understand..? Come back to us." There was a hug for both of them. Cam wasn't sure if he would've been able to forgive himself if anything happened to them. Kipp and Maxion gave him a second chance, the first to do so. It felt like just yesterday they had their first exchange in the woods when Max and Kipp first captured him. They were friends now. Kipp and Maxion said their final goodbyes and exited the ship via the docking port.