Chapter 36: Backstage

Kai stepped on Tommy's toes immediately after the crowd started cheering. Tommy felt mild irritation, but it was superficial at best. "Are you insane? Bodi can't be Chancellor. He's not even old enough to decide what toothpaste to use," Kai strained, "Bodi isn't Chancellor, he's a temp. Please listen for a second?" Tommy held his hands up defensively as Kai moved closer, getting ready to do something more than step on toes. Kai glared; he was prepared to attack Tommy again; he felt as though as though he couldn't trust his own cousin. "We're kind of like Omeocoon's governing council. You, Cal, Russell, and everyone else, no decision is run by a single person."

"I suppose we have it that way." Kai agreed, "Okay. So what we need is a person who's willing to be the face of Omeocoon. It has to be someone nice, cute, honest, empathetic, and lovable. Maxion told me about what happened on your ship. Bodi helped him, and we need a person like that to represent Omeocoon when we rejoin the patrol. He can do it, Kai. Just believe in him. I know... it sounds like I'm crazy, but he doesn't have to make command decisions. We can do that for him until we find someone else."

"So my brother is a controllable puppet? That's even worse!"

"No. He's not a puppet; he's a tool. We can use him to unite our people. We've still gotta convince the island populations to join us when we evacuate. And already Bodi has convinced 400 people to agree with our plan." Kai listened to Tommy's words, frustrated, but he slowly realized that Tommy might've been right. He could see the logic behind Tommy's argument, but it still didn't sit quite right with him. "Using Bodi as an instrument to unite our people... It just feels wrong, Tommy. He's not a puppet, and he shouldn't be treated like one," Kai replied, his tone firm but not accusatory.

Tommy sighed, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "I know, Kai. And I'm not saying it's ideal. But we're facing an unprecedented crisis here, and we have to do whatever it takes to save our people. Bodi has a way of connecting with others that the rest of us simply don't have. He's genuine and compassionate, and... if I'm being honest... reminds me of myself when I was new to being a Hero. Isn't it worth it if he can help us rally support for our plan?"

Kai paused, considering Tommy's words carefully. He couldn't deny the truth in what Tommy was saying. Bodi had already proven himself to be a natural leader in his own way, and it was time to acknowledge that and utilize his strengths for the greater good. "Can't you just be Chancellor?" Kai whined, trying to change Tommy's mind about the plan. "No. It has to be him. I'm a superhero, not a leader. It can only be Bode."

After a moment of reflection, Kai nodded, still hesitant. "Alright, Tommy. I hear you. Let's give Bodi a chance, but I want to be the one to help him understand the gravity of the situation and the responsibilities that come with it. We can't afford any missteps."

Tommy's expression softened, a sense of relief washing over him. "Of course, Kai, you're his big brother. We'll do whatever it takes to save our people together. I won't do anything to hurt him; he's my cousin, I love him. And I love you." Tommy placed both hands on Kai's shoulders, pulled his cousin closer, and kissed him on his forehead. The new leadership beginning for Omeocoon started with Bodi, and Tommy knew he'd made the right choice.