Chapter 16: Check Up

Maxion was in medical for about an hour, and he'd been scanned, poked, and then scanned again; he'd given samples and had been the sample himself, as had to be processed through several machines in gooey form, a centrifuge that spun rapidly, and a machine that extruded Maxion out through a tiny hole. Maxion went through the various medical procedures while Cam bit an electronic pen, held a tablet, made notes, and continued examining Maxion. Maxion couldn't help but feel discomfort, his Mucusus firmly set in, and the combination of being forced into machine after machine and then being spun at 15000 RPM and then having to deal with Cam's emotional distress made him feel annoyed and angry. Being scanned and processed in gooey form was a strange experience: the spinning machine and the extrusion process added to the surreal nature of it all.

Despite the discomfort, Maxion remained cooperative, knowing that these procedures were necessary for his well-being. He trusted Cam to do his job efficiently and effectively, and more importantly, he considered the mouse a friend. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Maxion emerged from the medical procedures, feeling relieved but also dizzy and disoriented. Maxion was shown to one of the rooms, where he put his leg bag back on. He took this time to steady himself before regaining his bearings. He sat on one of the examination beds, waiting for Cam to return with a final verdict.

Maxion was already aware of the situation with Tommy, so Cam filled him in, so he tried not to rush him. But the urges were coming very quickly. Cam rendered the room. "Well... it's confirmed you're in the early stages of Mucusus. Congratulations." Cam forced a smile, but his deadpan tone indicated he was emotionally exhausted. "And at what stage... will I become crazed and uncontrollable?" Maxion asked seriously. He clasped his hands together to stop them from shaking. "Well, there are four stages. You're in stage one. So I can easily correct this for you if you wish. With medication and therapy... the feelings will dissipate within a few weeks, and you will stay away from other Omeocoons. You'd be in isolation."

"Wait, hold on? I thought that once Mucusus started, it couldn't be stopped." Maxion perked up. He'd been through schooling and knew that Mucusus was one of the most critical times an Omeocoon could be in. It symbolized a right of passage and a chance to expand themselves... with a partner. Provided Russell was open to that. "Well, medical technology has come a long way since the apocalypse hit; Narr and I have been working to make the transition through Mucusus easier. I don't anticipate everyone on the station will be wanting to procreate. We only have a few couples on board, and no one seems to be pairing off yet. The easiest way to get through it would've been to bond with someone. You can try that, or the treatments... now don't get me wrong... it will still be painful, but not as painful as riding it out."

"Would you like to start the treatments?" Cam asked. He already had a tablet, which would seemingly be a consent form. "Wait? Do you think I could think about it?" Cam hiccuped, "No! When your cycle enters stage three, it'll be impossible to treat. You should start them immediately." Maxion froze as Cam tried to hand him the consent form. Maxion's mind raced with conflicting emotions and thoughts. The news of being in the early stages of Mucusus brought anxiety. He knew the seriousness of the condition and the potential consequences if left untreated. However, the idea of undergoing treatment and being isolated filled him with a sense of dread.

He looked at Cam, searching for reassurance or guidance, but the exhausted expression on the mouse's face only heightened his apprehension. Maxion weighed his options carefully, considering the potential risks and benefits of starting the treatments immediately versus waiting to see if the condition progressed. "Don't I have any other options?" He took the tablet from Cam's outstretched hand and examined it in greater detail.

Cam nodded in acknowledgment, his fatigue evident in every movement. "Well. You could split into two extrusions... which, if I'm being honest— you're still young, and I'm not sure if your mass can accommodate children, so there is a high chance one of your extrusions will not survive... or." Cam paused, "Or what?" Maxion continued to probe, "Well, you could share your Mucusus with Russell. You've been back together for a while, right..? He has Kipp. Perhaps he'd like another child. Extrusions like Kipp often benefit from siblings to bond with. That way, he can form proper social skills... he was living in a cave before he met us. That would be the best way to get through your cycle."

"I was going to tell him about it in my shop, but I freaked out! Plus, he doesn't want it. He's focused on his job and Kipp."

"Not entirely. How can you be sure he doesn't want it if you haven't asked him?" Cam brought up a logical question. Maxion paused for thought, "I don't know... I figured he'd be interested in his job."

"If he were, would he have taken Kipp in? Or even tried to rekindle his relationship with you. He likes you. And I think, given the right circumstances, he'd bond with you— give it time... but don't take too long." Cam took the tablet back, "Maybe you should ask him because once these treatments start, you're not going to be able to reproduce... it'll be impossible, and you'd have to wait another three years unless Russell's cycle comes around. So go, talk to Russell. And you come back when you've made a decision. Then maybe we can talk about genetic compatibility instead of these 'treatments.' So, if you want to have a child, it's best if I have you both here. I've never heard of a bunny and a raccoon from trying for an extrusion, but I won't be able to tell for sure until you both submit a sample." Maxion laughed tiredly, "Don't you have enough samples of me?"

Cam and Maxion's attention turned toward the hydraulic door as it slid open, and in came Russell with Tommy, who was still trying to resist the urge to shapeshift into something less friendly and attack his playmate. or perhaps he'd liquefy and slip into one of the vents. Still, again, the question of where he would go lingered in his mind. "Just let me go! Why don't you listen? I don't need help!" Cam scurried away into a corner; as soon as he heard the duo going past the front desk, Cam shifted himself into a chair. He could replicate it perfectly, and it was now hidden from view. "Oh, look...! H–hey, babe, we were just talking about you!" Maxion was happy to see Russell. His tail moved happily. "Hi, Tom."

"Hi." Tommy glared at Maxion but tried not to be rude, "Would you tell your hard-headed partner that I don't need help? See? Cam isn't even here!" The trio looked around the room, and Russell approached the chair that hadn't been there before and kicked the leg. Cam's face magically popped out of the backrest. "Ow! Why!?" He shouted, "Stop being a bum, Cam! Tommy needs help."

"No. I refuse to treat him! Find someone else!" Cam retorted before his face rescinded back into the fabric of the chair he was trying to impersonate. "Look, he doesn't want to help me. Let's go." Tommy said quickly. Russell tightened his grip around Tommy's arm; he squirmed and winced, and Russell wouldn't budge. "I wouldn't want to help you either with that attitude. It compromises your natural charm. Maybe try apologizing because until he clears you— you're not the leader of Gel-Squad." That seemed to shut Tommy up into thought. Russell patiently waited for him to come to his senses. Tommy straightened his posture and looked at Russell with defiance and resignation. "Fine. I'm sorry, Cam. I didn't mean to threaten you. Kai and Bodi are all the family I have left, so forgive me if I'm a little overprotective." His voice softened, betraying the underlying turmoil he was experiencing. As they completed the dialogue, Maxion watched the exchange with a mixture of concern, empathy, and impatience. He understood all too well the challenges of facing inner demons. He also wanted to talk to his partner. "Rus? Do you think we could talk?" Maxion blurted out suddenly. That made everyone stop, "Can't it wait until later? I still need to go to the office. I just came to drop Tommy off."

"No... it can't, you silly bunny." Maxion chuckled awkwardly. Russell frowned but nodded at that. And together, they left.

Cam's face emerged from the chair again, his expression softened slightly at Tommy's apology. "It's alright, Tommy. I understand that this situation is difficult for you... but I still can't help you." Tommy crossed his arms... at first, he didn't want Cam's help, but now that he refused to give it... it was a little annoying. "Why not?" Tommy questioned. Cam sighed and continued, "Because after I'm done helping my last few patients... I'm leaving the station."