Chapter 25: Completion

Maxion and Russell's endeavor was successful. Maxion was no longer being swallowed alive by the excruciating effects of mucusus. Russell rested on his arms, and Maxion was close to him; they used Russell's loincloth as a rudimentary blanket. It was just them and the floor because the couch wasn't big enough for the both of them. Maxion was constantly playing with Russell's hair, and occasionally, his fingers did little dances on Russell's bare chest. "I'd forgotten how good your goo felt... it was very enlightening," Maxion commented. Russell giggled and smiled, "I don't really remember much... unfortunately. That stuff coming out of your hands was potent, but I liked it." Russell's gaze went toward the cocoon resting soundly in the corner of the room; it was not there four days ago. But it resided there now, and it was quite a vivid mixture of Russell and Maxion's shades.

"I suppose they'll need a name," Russell added. He and Maxion had been together four days, 6 hours, 11 minutes, and 32 seconds. That's how long it took for them to force their child out of their combined merge. It wasn't easy to do because their singular forms of bunny and raccoon made it difficult to solidify a being with a stable genetic foundation. If they'd consulted Cam, they would've expected this, but Russell was too excited to find him. But doing this was quite pleasurable and satisfying. "We should name him after someone influential. Like a Chancellor or a family member." Maxion proposed, and Russell thought the idea was fair. "Just as long as we don't name him Kallum or Oscar." Maxion nodded. "Speaking of family. Your mother came up quite a bit when we were together..? And the feelings were strong. I always knew you came up with money— like, a lot of it. But why do you hate her?"

"Why do you hate your mom?" Maxion echoed, "Stop deflecting," Russell frowned, his eyes never leaving Maxion even as the raccoon avoided Russell's emerald green irises. Maxion already knew why Russell didn't like his mother. The conditional love situation. This is probably why Russell exhibited odd behaviors, as did his siblings or 'genetic templates.' As Russell would often call them. Maxion sighed. It was true that he wasn't as open about that portion of his life. Kipp might've known some of it, but he went out of his way to hide his feelings about Mommy when he mixed and mingled with other Omeocoons and when he'd merged with Russell. He may have relaxed his defenses a little too much. "I don't hate her. She's just unbelievable. She's a big corporate investor for Jetson Private Hover Crafts. When they were still in infancy, she acquired a controlling stake, and we all know that the big DH-I acquired them. Have you ever heard of the M & L Mining Consortium?" Russell nodded in amazement, "Well, guess what the 'M' stands for?"

"Maxion." Russell realized that 'Maxion' was a family name passed down through generations; his father was named Maxion, and before that, his father, and so forth, until it came to the current Maxion of this generation. "And the L stands for?"

"Larren. Her name." That made sense; this extension of a family business made Maxion exceptionally wealthy. One wouldn't have thought just by looking at Max because he was rough around the edges. The only thing that gave him away was his mind. He was very secretive about it, which made even Russell curious. "Your old penthouse was near Central Park. Bashira Tower... I think?" Russell allowed the memory to surface. When they had the original group of friends, the photo that was carried around with Russell always, Maxion would often share his 5,000 square foot penthouse with what he considered to be his closest friends. "No, that was my place; her's was much bigger. It was a form-day gift. She wanted me to have a 'clubhouse,' but she didn't realize that she actually gave me a way out."

"She was never around. Is that why you hate her?" Russell inquired. He was sure the reasoning had been revealed, but the details were still fuzzy due to the mucusus goo. "No, that's what annoys me. She was always around and driving me crazy... and I don't hate her, but I just wished she would've paid me less attention. She was smothering me! That's why I joined the military, to get away from her. That's why I never wanted you to meet her because she wouldn't... like you." Russell laughed loudly, "Me? You think that she wouldn't like me?" Russell inquired. He was astonished by such an accusation. "What makes you say that?" Maxion shrugged and laughed with Russell, "Well... you're a farm boy..? I think that's the most accurate term for it."

"What." Russell glared; his laughing stopped immediately as offense quickly consumed him, "Her word, not mine." Maxion put his hands up and swiftly corrected. "I was a part of a tribe. Not a farm, Maxion. Oscar is the farmer. What else have you told her about me?" Maxion didn't verbally respond to that one. "Is she dead?" Russell wanted to know it was a little messed up that he believed the universe would've been better off without her. Maxion lowered his hands, and his eyes widened in shock. "What? No, she's not dead," Maxion exclaimed, which meant she lived off-world. "She lives on an asteroid she's mining; she's out there somewhere. She's getting ore and selling it to Jetson so they can melt it down and make hovercars. After all, Mommy has to ensure that her prime investment has enough material to keep its customers happy."

"Ah, well. She sounds like a very horrible woman." Russell stood up, and Maxion sat up and stared as Russell stretched out like a cat waking up from a nap. "Wait, Russ? Where are you off to?"

"Work... it's been four days, babe... Tommy's gonna replace me with Cal if I don't go be the security chief. If he's in his right mind, I left him in a tricky spot with Cameron." Russell remembered as he put on his pants and backpack. "But come on... stay a while." Maxion joined Russell quickly, taking his loincloth along in one hand. He pulled the bunny close before wrapping his tail around Russell's thigh as he hugged him, kissed him on the cheek, and fondled his floppy ears. "Tell you what, I'll only let you go if you promise to move in with me." Maxion proposed again, "I already said--" Russell started, but Maxion hushed him with one finger, "Yes, Russell, I know what you said. But I want to hear you say it again. Y'know... for reassurance." Maxion purred. He wrapped Russell's loincloth around his partner's waist as the bunny playfully rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'm moving in with you." Russell smiled, and Maxion did, too. The grip around the thigh tightened as Maxion secured the belt buckle around Russell's waist.

"Hey, tell you what? Why don't you join me?" Russell proposed that he never asked him to do anything security-related. "Wait? For real?" Maxion blinked in surprise. "Yeah, we never went on that date. Granted, you were smothering me with your goo for four days... and it felt really lovely, but it's nice to just... look at you." Russell continued, shrugged, and grinned coyly, "Think of it as a ride-along." He leaned in and kissed him. "What about Junior..?" Maxion looked toward the cocoon in the room. "Well, think about it. It's not like the kid is around yet. These next few months will probably be our last time alone for the next 16 years... or more."

"Well, that's not true. We've still got the Kipp." Maxion reminded Russell, inhaling sharply, sharing his thoughts on the other child under his wing, "Don't remind me. I messaged Tommy to keep him. If... you don't mind, I'd like to keep this just between us for a while, from the population and Kipp. I don't like to be under a petri dish."

Maxion nodded, "The station folks, I get, but why Kipp?"

"I mean... the kid gets a little jealous when he has to share me."

"So does that mean he'll give me a hard time when we bond?"

"I don't think so. You'd be a perfect dad. He likes you, and you've merged with him, right? He hasn't been able to relax like that... around anyone. When I first met him, he was a little silly and weird... but he's mature now, and I'm proud." Maxion tilted his head to one side as he released Russell's leg. "Wait a second? Why haven't you said any of this to your son?"

"Our son," Russell corrected, "And he'd let it go to his head," Russell said. He returned Maxion's gesture and slipped his leg sack around his thigh, speaking as he fastened the velcro, "But the point is, jealously is a basic and predominant extrusion trait, and although he's very close to the age of ascension... he still hasn't seemed to stop thinking like an 11-year-old."

"Kids will be kids." Maxion blew a raspberry before Russell led them out.