Chapter 13: Needed

Howard grumbled all the way down to medical, but Cam tuned him out relatively quickly. Fortunately, D1 was there to forge a conversation. "I overheard your discussion with Russell in his office. Do you really believe him to be a threat to himself?" D1 asked coldly. Cam had forgotten that D1's 'eyes' and 'ears' were vastly superior to any organic ones within the vicinity, and sure enough, the robot was already aware of the situation. "I don't know. But he needs help with his demons." Cam shuttered, and Howard rolled his eyes. "You're just like I remember, scared of everything. I don't know what Kieran ever saw in you. No wonder he only used you for equipment and nonsensical missions. You're a coward. If Tommy is causing you annoyance, then you should show him what to do!" Howard showed Cam a balled fist. In his imagination, he was ringing out Tommy's neck.

"Violence isn't always the answer. I want to try and help him." Cam responded, "Oh, would you give it a rest? You're not a real doctor. You don't actually have to 'do no harm.' If Tommy's suffering, let him suffer." Howard reiterated, and Cam's eye twitched; just as he said that, a group of people came down the hallway and shot him various nasty glares. "So the Kieran duo is back together? Be careful; they might blow us up!" The leader said just about everyone on the promenade went to laughing at Cam and Howie. Cam stopped in his tracks, "See, these people don't deserve your help." Howie chuckled. It was amazing how he didn't care.

"You know what? I'm getting tired of hearing that. Everyone keeps telling me I'm not a real doctor. I've heard it from Russell, Tommy, and just about everyone. It's funny how you all keep saying that until you become a patient and need some kind of treatment. You should use wiser words because if I'm not a doctor. I can technically refuse to treat you."

Howard's expression darkened at Cam's words, his frustration boiling over. "You think you can refuse to help people? Do you think you have that kind of power? You're nothing but a glorified technician playing doctor. You don't know the first thing about real medicine, and the second they find someone that does--" Cam's jaw clenched as he fought to keep his composure. "They'll replace me!" He cut off, "I've heard it before! I may not have a medical degree, but I've spent years studying and learning everything I can about our people's physiology so that I can treat injuries and illnesses. And unlike you, I actually care about helping people, not hurting them!"

D1 interjected, her voice calm but firm. "Gentlemen, please. This bickering is unproductive. Howard, Cam's dedication to his work and his patients is admirable, regardless of whether or not he has a formal medical education. And Cam, resorting to insults will not resolve the underlying issues here."

Howard sneered at D1, clearly unimpressed by her intervention. "Stay out of this, robot. This is between me and Cam." Cam took a deep breath, trying to rein in his anger. "Look, Howard, I understand that you're going through a rough time right now, but taking it out on others won't solve anything." Howard scoffed, crossing his arms defiantly. "Look at you, acting all high and mighty. Anyone with a laser scalper and half a brain could do what you do."

"You know what? Why do you just get lost?" Cam turned toward the entire population of the station and increased his voice. Now, he was upset, and the tears he'd held back for so long had come to fruition. "All of you get lost!" They were just outside of the lift, and everyone watched Cam as he lost it. "I can't let you go. Russell will kill me!" Howie seemed shocked now, "Exactly. I want you to get yelled at. I'm tired of being 'subordinate' to everyone who feels like they want to take shots at me! I won't take it from Tommy, and I certainly won't from you! You're worse than me, and you actually liked working for Kieran. You're sick." Cam poked Howie in the chest roughly before he entered the elevator and pushed his floor; the doors closed, and the final thing that Howie saw was Cam's glare. Howie scoffed, crossing his arms, "Temperamental rodent. He's so sensitive." Howie started to take off, but D1 got in his way.

"Move, robot!" He snarled, "Your shift has not yet concluded. You must return to Russell's office and wait for him there." D1 stood her ground, unmoved by Howard's attempts to brush her aside. "I cannot allow you to leave your assigned duty station, Howard. It is imperative that you remain in Russell's office until he returns."

Howard's frustration boiled over, his face turning dark blue with anger. "I don't have to take orders from a glorified tin can like you! My shift is over!" D1 remained unfazed, her voice calm but firm. "I am programmed to ensure the safety and efficiency of this station. Refusing to comply with my directives will only result in further consequences for you. I may be a glorified tin can, but my taser is fully operational. Ask Tommy."

Howard clenched his fists, his temper flaring. "You think you can threaten me? You're just a machine; you don't have any real power over me!" D1's was determined as she responded, "I may be an artificial intelligence, but I am tasked with maintaining order and protocol on this station. If you continue to resist, I will be forced to take appropriate action."

Howard glared at D1, weighing his options. Finally, with a frustrated huff, he begrudgingly turned and returned to Russell's office, seething with anger and resentment. As Howard disappeared from view, D1 watched him go with a sense of satisfaction. She may be a robot, but she understood the importance of her role in maintaining order and ensuring the safety of everyone on the station. Without further interruption, she could focus on her duties with Howard back where he belonged.