Chapter 39: Construction

Building the Eclectus was a complex challenge. It was the first time anyone on Omoecoon had constructed a starship purely for venturing out into space in a long time. Kipp's stolen family scout, the primary method of interstellar travel for the Gel-Squad for a while, was scrapped, and its raw components were incorporated into this new design. This new shuttle could travel at warp speed and would be an asset in Omeocoon's future. It involved hours of intense construction from the Gel-Squad plus all 50 members of Kipp's engineering staff, who were surprisingly competent now compared to their earlier days. The population worked around the clock to get it operational. They were now 22 days into construction... and two months seemed optimistic— because Kipp kept changing the plans at the last minute.

Indecisiveness was one of Russell's biggest pet peeves. In the cockpit of their new vessel, D1 occupied the control station where the engineer would sit while underway. Kipp worked on a highly experimental piece of technology scavenged from the Destiny's storage lockers, which Kai claimed to have the ability to teleport people short distances; it was supposedly the device that moved Kai, Bodi, and Narr from one end of the Destiny to the other. In the absence of an escape pod, Kipp figured the device might be able to transport the crew from space to the surface of a planet or even another ship— but not without using high power. It also required specialized training because the operator would literally be dismantling the molecules of the passengers on one end and reassembling them at their destination. It required calculations in real-time if the operator didn't want the passengers to end up... spiced.

The hull was half completed, but some external panels had yet to be welded in place. This was done to provide easy access to the various components inside the ship. The interior was still being prepared to go, the control consoles were installed, and a user interface was programmed, but it still needed a 'comfortable' touch. That was Maxion's department, but he'd taken a break to check on his and Russell's child. In fact, many of the work crew were constantly in and out, but Kipp managed the entire workforce with his father's help. "Dad, I'm telling you, we have to reinforce the hull with titanium," Kipp growled at Russell, who was handling hardware in the way of installing the final components of his weapon system. "Proposing the same flawed strategy over and over again will not make it more effective, Kipp."

"Well?" Kai started from the very nose of the craft, the helm station. "You have your weapons system online, and the A.I believe that the D1 and Howie put together are functioning properly... more or less, and the propulsion is operational. I say we launch now and hope for the best."

"That is perhaps the most illogical statement I have ever heard from anyone on the team," D1 called out. Russell remained silent, but Kipp was almost inclined to agree with Kai. "What? Can you blame me?" Kai swiveled his chair to face the crew, "Well if we do launch. I suppose these superfluous elements from your solar sailor will help us survive in an emergency situation?" Russell stepped over and pointed to the console instead of touch control panels, which is what one would expect of this time; there was a joystick and a traditional throttle, something someone would see onboard an old-style aircraft.

"Hey. I hate tapping panels! I was on a solar sailor where you had to do everything by hand. Like the good old days, if I'm going to pilot, I actually want to feel the ship I'm piloting, the blending of man and machine. Call me crazy, but this is how my father trained me." Russell gave Kai a concerned gaze before retorting, "Okay... you're crazy." Then he returned to his work, having ignored Kai rolling his eyes. Cam entered the cockpit holding the straps of his bag as he usually did. He looked around in awe at the front cockpit and continued to move toward the work crew, his eyes moving in every direction but directly in front. Russell swiveled his chair and threw his hand up— which still held a futuristic tool; one could assume it served a purpose similar to that of a screwdriver. "Woah, Doc, be careful. You don't want to trip." Russell warned, and he was right. There were still exposed power conduits running all through the floor, and they carried high electric currents that would no doubt incapacitate the only medical professional they had. Cam was in the aft section, assembling the medical equipment,

"Hey buddy," Kai said affectionately, getting out of his chair and rushing over to Cam. They held hands as they spoke, "I've downloaded all of my files from the station onto the main computer core. But this... vessel... simply wasn't designed to tackle complex medical procedures, so wherever you go, please don't break every bone in your body. Yeah?" Kai nodded in resolve, "I'll try, but I think I might break a few on purpose if it means I get to visit my favorite mouse," There was that lousy humor again, but it always seemed to make Cam laugh. "I've been here all day. I think I'll take a break and start back up later."

"Okay. I guess I'll see you later then." Kai received a kiss on the cheek before Cam exited through the docking hatch. Kai stood there momentarily, rubbing his cheek where Cam had applied his lips. Russell silently approached, a wicked smile brewing on his face; he had his hands behind his back as if he were planning to make pleasant small talk. "Hey buddy," Russell mocked in a high-pitched tone. Kai snapped out of his funk and jumped in surprise; Tommy would often tell of his and Russell's earlier days when Russell was less mature and more prone to being feral. But Kai didn't seem to understand where the feralness ended, and the maturity began; Kai's cheeks glowed redder than his natural pigment. "It's not funny..!" A fit of laughter took over Kipp and Maxion, and Howie and D1 looked like deer in headlights as the joke went right through them.

Kipp was always under a console— half his body being swallowed as he performed his operations. His legs were active this time as his heels struck the ground during his laughing session.

"No... it's cute you like that mouse. But erm... don't tell him I told you this, but Cam likes to eat his mate alive after he's done with them." Russell's hands became playful claws as he faked the appearance of an unfriendly creature, perhaps a velociraptor or a T-rex. Kai hit him in the arm; they joked a bit and then returned to assembly.