Chapter 33: Freedom

Russell entered Polly's cell, where the mouse lurked in a corner. Russell could only make out his eyes as they caught the dim lighting in the room; the rest of him was a vague silhouette. "Okay, come out. You're not scaring me." Russell pitched as he crossed his arms. Polly sighed and crossed into the light, allowing for complete visibility. "I already told you everything I can. Just let me and my friend go." Russell read the report, but he still didn't believe they were from a different timeline, universe... or both. Even though the evidence was clearly there, the technology required to create a cloaking device was highly sophisticated— Russell had known about Xalorians who possessed advanced technology, like teleportation devices and the like. This multi-tool was much more advanced than the average toy, but still, 'time jumping' was simply illogical. When analyzed by Kipp and D1, they determined the device to be more than just a cloaking machine. It contained multiple pathways, which suggested it could do much more.

"Hello, Polly. I know we've met before, but I think we should formally reintroduce ourselves, seeing as how you might've been under a false identity when we first met. I'm Russell, the chief of security. Why don't you have a seat?" Russell introduced himself again because he and Polly were already aquatinted; Polly refused to sit— he stood up, which suggested he was a defiant spirit; however, unlike some of the past prisoners, Polly lacked the signature shifting inhibitors as would be required with Omeocoon. This meant he could escape from the cell anytime, but something kept him. His dog, the one called 'Gauge,' didn't have enough strength to fight. Polly knew this, which meant that he was thinking strategically; he would not leave his friend behind; this must've been the playmate he'd accidentally mentioned when they were talking in the hallway. "So? Another bunny. There are a lot of bunnies around here."

"Well... it is one of the most common Omeocoon forms. That's to be expected." Russell informed. Polly hummed softly and then turned his gaze away from Russell. "I guess when you said that your playmate was an earth beagle, you were telling the truth." Russell chuckled softly as he remembered their conversation again. "Can you tell me a little more about yourself, Polly?"

"You mean besides what I already told the other bunny? Cal, I think it was?" Russell nodded; Polly sighed heavily like a pouting teenager and repeated what he told Cal. "I'm Polly. A junior member of the Dynamic Patrol Hero Subdivision, I'm rated as a strategist. My serial number is Alpha-017-A1. I currently work at my mother's startup; she's the one who sent us here. When I first came to Gauge, our mother briefly studied me. She's a scientist. She said I have an abnormality, like a higher capacity for processing information and performing advanced computations— like a computer or, more precisely, a supercomputer."

"What she was describing was a unique ability. Those are special powers that about a quarter of our population have. That must make you an outstanding strategist for the patrol. You must be a good support hero."

"You're not the first person to say that. My shapeshifting abilities make me a good infiltrator as well." Polly rolled his eyes; he'd heard it many times before. He was 'unique' or whatever. He didn't feel unique. He felt rotten because if it weren't for him and his drive to want to help Russell, he and Gauge would've been home now. "When will it be enough? Damnit, Russell, I helped you! I'm not a criminal, and you know it: My brother and I didn't have any ill intentions toward you. I swear."

"Well, Polly, I can't deny the fact that you helped me. Because of you, my kid will be a part of this crew. So I owe you for that."

"Cool, repay me by releasing me," Polly stated bluntly. Russell thought about it for a moment; he sighed; every fabric of his being told him that keeping Polly and Gauge here against their will was wrong. Polly was an Omeocoon; if he couldn't even trust a member of his own species, he'd be just like Kieran, paranoid and willing to kill millions when he didn't get his way. Russell moved to the door and opened it. "Your device and belts are inside a storage locker outside the room. Get your brother and go home," Russell ordered. Polly made a B-line for the door, and he ran at maximum speed. But before he could cross the threshold, Russell grabbed his elbow. "Don't come back here. Do you understand? If you come back, I won't be able to protect you."

Russell's voice was firm, but his tone showed a hint of understanding. Polly hesitated momentarily, his eyes meeting Russell's with defiance and resignation. "I understand," He finally replied, his voice filled with bitterness. Russell released his grip on Polly's elbow, allowing him to leave the cell. As Polly hurried away down the corridor, Russell couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty that lingered in the air. He knew he had made the right decision in letting Polly and Gauge go, but he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that their paths would cross again, and next time, it might not be under such amicable circumstances. With a heavy sigh, Russell exited the compartment and returned to his duties, knowing that he had done what he believed to be right, even if it meant taking a risk.