Chapter 17: Family Matters

"Okay, what is so important that you had to pull me aside?" Russell asked. Even though he was in phase one, Maxion could already feel the unyielding effects of being close to multiple Omeocoons in the same room simultaneously. But, he felt the most potent effects being here with someone he loved more than anything else. "I'm going through mucusus," Maxion ripped the bandaid off right away, and Russell's eyes widened in shock, "Wh--?" He started; Maxion interrupted. He tried to grab Russell by the arms, hoping for physical contact, but Russell backed away immediately like Maxion had some infection; Maxion's hands retracted, returning to the position of being clasped together to hide shaking. "Don't touch me with that stuff!" Russell barked, his eyes darted between Maxion's eyes, which were becoming increasingly dilated, and his hands dripped with that transparent pastel pink goo. Was this really stage one? It looked like he was farther along than that. "Just listen to me, alright?" Maxion snarled viciously, "Cam wanted me to talk to you. He says that I have more options than ever before with mucusus. I wanted to get your opinion."

"What for?" Russell asked. He shrugged and crossed his arms, "To extrude!" Maxion showed off his hands again, and the gel was now between his fingers. Russell grimaced in disgust. He took a step back farther and resisted the urge to gag. "I can't," He said, Maxion glared in shock, "Why not? It's easy— just take off your clothes, and we can find a closet or something. It doesn't have to be perfect!" Maxion attempted to touch Russell again, but once more, the bunny weaved his way out of Maxion's grip, and the raccoon stomped his foot on the floor, "Ugh! Why are you making this hard? Just let it happen!"

"I can't, I love you. I do, but I can't!" Maxion's heart sank at Russell's words, the pain evident in his eyes as he struggled to find the right words to explain his refusal. "Maxion, it's not that I don't want it with you," He began, his voice tinged with regret, "But my family... my brothers, you know how I feel about that stuff."

Maxion's frustration boiled over, his emotions raw and unchecked. "What? We don't have time for that, Russell! Cam said I need to pick something immediately, or it'll be too late. Do you understand what that means? We could lose the chance to have a family for the next three years, plus this really hurts! It's like someone is punching me in the face repeatedly!"

Russell recoiled at the intensity of Maxion's outburst, his emotions swirling in turmoil along with his partner's. "I know, Maxion, I know," He murmured, his voice barely above a whisper, "But this... it's a big decision. We can't rush into it without considering all the consequences."

Maxion clenched his fists, the gooey substance oozing from his palms as he fought to contain his frustration. "Consequences? What consequences could be worse than losing the chance to bond with the one person I love most in this world?" Russell's heart ached at Maxion's words, the weight of their situation pressing down on him with unbearable force. "I'm sorry, Maxion," He whispered, his voice heavy with guilt, "But I can't do this. Not now, maybe... in the future?"

Tears welled up in Maxion's eyes, his heart breaking with every word Russell spoke. "Fine," he choked out, his voice trembling with emotion, "I'll do it with someone else! I don't need you!" He pushed past Russell without touching him to respect his wishes. That left Russell standing alone in the wake of their shattered relationship. The door slid shut peacefully behind him(because doors don't require physical contact to operate.) Russell sank to his knees, overcome with grief and regret. He knew that he had made the right decision, but that didn't make it any easier to bear the pain of losing Maxion.