Chapter 62: Adoption

Bodi and Tommy remained close to Oscar as they ventured deeper into the forest's heart. "I don't know if I told you... but I'm the Chancellor..?" Bodi piped up, still just as chipper now as he was in the bunker, despite the situation. He knew full well that Oscar remembered the introduction he had given as he was coming down the hatch; it had only happened about 20 minutes ago, but that didn't matter because he was just trying to make conversation, figuring the topic by which it started would be irrelevant. "Mhm." Oscar hummed with disinterest. Bodi furrowed his brow, seemingly displeased with the response. Oscar changed the subject quickly, reaching their destination, a cave. Bodi could already see the shadows being projected from torches as a group of large animals were loud and at play with one another, bringing mugs of some unknown fluid to their lips... just having fun, unaware of the trio of Omeocoons at their front door.

Tommy laughed to himself, shaking his head as he spotted the mouth of a cave. "Somethin' funny, Tom?" Oscar asked, chortling at the squirrel's reaction. "It's just that... well... we had a fun time with caves just like this one back in the day when we first came home two years ago." Tommy smiled; he liked to reminisce, and now, here Bodi was, entering a cave to claim what would perhaps be his most important asset. "Well... all jokes aside, I'll warn you; Panthorians can be as mad as wet hens and act like meatheads. You just have to keep an open mind and an open heart." Oscar pointed to Bodi's lower abdomen, which was the location of the Omeocoon heart; if Bodi had one, that was.

"Go in there and find a friend, Chancellor... and er... I'd say you're pretty... sweet... too sweet. Panthorians carry a reputation for bein' ugly. They're routy and have a deep connection with honor. If you want to talk... you've gotta be a little mean. Oh! And do not drink the voidfire brew. It's not for the faint of heart. The Panthorians specialize in makin' that swill; it's the only reason they're out here; they'd rather have a place that grows leaves that get them busted up and drunk than a place that grows food necessary for their survival. They've even got a sayin' for it, 'Panthorians were created with two livers, not two stomachs for a reason.' Yep, all these nasty plants around here, poisonous to species like Earthens, are just like candy to them. That brew is highly intoxicatin'. Omeocoon cannot handle it; it's twice as potent as Earthen whiskey. If they offer you any, just take it. And while they're not lookin', toss that junk over your shoulder."

"What happens if he drinks it?" Tommy questioned, not to say he didn't trust his cousin... but if peer pressured... Bodi will drink this— brew or whatever it was. "He'll either be out of his mind until the cows come home, or he'll die from alcoholic poisonin', take your pick," Oscar informed, never sugarcoating it. "Are you sure I can't go in with him?" Tommy asked bluntly after hearing that.

"No. Panthorians often only bond with one individual— it's easier for them to lock onto one person, trust me. Now, I will say they won't be too unfamiliar with Omeocoons... Because of the tribe fallin', we've had to enlist some help from the Panthorians. For some reason, the vegetation on the island is degradin'. We have rations; they have heightened strength, and we need them for protection and utility." Tommy could further explain that degradation, "It's the atmosphere withering away." Tommy sighed, "It's already beginning to affect the environment. Make sure when you go in there... you tell them about that too, yeah?" Tommy instructed, and Bodi understood the assignment.

Oscar smiled warmly before gesturing to the entrance, stepping out of the way, and allowing Bodi to enter. Bodi slowly made his way in, and Tommy and Oscar vanished in his first few steps. Bodi was in a new setting almost instantly, standing in the middle of the arm wrestling match he was looking at through the shadows earlier. Unlike Omeocoon, who offered many forms— Panthorians only came in bunny resemblance, but they did feature many individual colors. They also expressed individuality in their body suits and collars. Which was expected wear for Panthorians. Oscar's words echoed in Bodi's mind: 'Be a little mean...' not too hard.

Some were six feet tall, and others were nine. They all had four arms, which vaguely reminded Bodi of a gel-crawler or an Earthen tarantula. The Panthorians arm wrestling seemed an excellent place to start; Bodi approached the duel in the center of the room, and a crowd of others surrounded them, chanting in encouragement. "Uh... hello..?" Bodi spoke awkwardly. They paid him little attention. That was rude. He repeated himself, but this time at an increased volume; the chanting and the irrelevancy rose above him. "Hi, I'm Bodi." He waved, but still, they continued to ignore him. "Hey!" Bodi bellowed, stomped his foot, and pounded his fist on the table until the arm wrestling ceased. The entire population glared at him as if he'd lost his mind(to be fair, he was undoubtedly missing half of it.) His hands danced awkwardly as he was surrounded. "Look, another one of those Omeocoon. They want us to move rocks again." One of them started, the population laughed, and Bodi was pushed from behind. "So? Do you like having broken bones?" One of them snarled.

Bodi innocently smiled, finally dialogue! "No. I'm a generation one. I don't have any bones. My brother does, though." They all dramatically enunciated a synchronized, 'ooo.' Before laughing again. "That must make him special; I suppose we'll have to find a different way to rip him a new one." The one who seemed to be the leader of the bunch said, pounding her fist into her palm. Unable to pick up social queues, Bodi seemed unphased by the threats. "Do you have any nip? Remember, that's our deal; we work, you give us nip." A fluffy green one asked; he crossed his lower arms and was relatively impatient when demanding something Bodi didn't even have. Many repeated the phrase 'nip' as if saying the word would bring this substance into existence. "Well... I don't know what that means, but I'm looking for a friend. An 'attendant.' Do any of you want to volunteer? I don't mind picking someone if you don't."

"This isn't an adoption center. Look, either you give us nip, or we break every bone in your body!" The female repeated. Bodi opened his mouth, starting to become a little flustered. He planned to correct her again, putting up a finger at the mention of bones. "Take him to Cuddles!" There was a cheer of consensus; Bodi stammered, "Uh... I... Please don't take me to Cuddles. I just want to make friends, I swear!" Bodi pleaded, but the female lifted him and squeezed him tightly. Bodi suffered mild discomfort. "No! Wait!"

"Nope. Too late, you've already offended us. You have no work and no payment in the form of treats. Then you'll face the wrath of the most fearless and bone-crushing Panthorian who's ever roamed this planet." Bodi gulped nervously, not quite what he was expecting.