Chapter 15: Holographic

Gauge and Polly's transport was successful— thankfully. Because if this one had failed, they would've ended up in space floating around until they ran out of oxygen... well, until Gauge ran out of oxygen, Polly would've been fine. Gauge took the multitool back from Polly and switched it to scan mode. "This looks like some sort of bay, storage maybe?" Crates surrounded them; Polly didn't intend to be deposited there; he searched for a section of the station with a breathable atmosphere. Gauge couldn't be using up oxygen forever. He ran the multitool along some of the crates in the area. "Produce... expired... not surprising. These guys don't eat. But why would they have any of these? Let's see... oh! Tools? What do you reckon they used these for?"

"Uh... fixing stuff?" Polly said with a smile as he rolled his eyes playfully and crossed his arms. Gauge continued to scan. "I'm picking up on trace amounts of foot activity outside these walls. I think there are people out there. Should we try the holographic... thingy?" Polly nodded. "Remember, it's experimental, so we're not supposed to get too close to anyone."

"Yeah. For sure." Gauge confirmed he sent the device into yet another mode. A holographic grid projected itself around the surrounding area, and in a split second, a wall of light shrouded Polly and Gauge, and the recreation of the room took place; Polly and Gauge were now surrounded by a 'bubble' of invisibility cloak which they could see through perfectly. "I can't tell if it worked?"

"One sec." Polly effortlessly stepped out of the bubble and then looked right at Gauge. "Yeah. It works. I can't see you at all. Can you see me?" Polly stuck his tongue out and made a silly face. "Yes, I can definitely see you... unfortunately, but that means you can't venture off too far. I get it... you're an Omeocoon, but what if they have a roster of people or something?" That was fine with Polly; if this were a different time, just about any small thing could upset the wake of the timeline, and they'd go home to an entirely different world. "Let's leave the suits here, and we'll return for them later," Polly suggested; Gauge nodded.

"Good idea. It'll be easier to move around without them." With that, they carefully removed their outer garments, leaving Polly in his 'nakedness' and Gauge in his super suit. "Why did you wear the Nova Pup suit? It's not like anyone is gonna see you."

"Why'd you wear the belt? It's not like anyone is gonna see you." Gauge mocked, "Fair point." They left the time suits hidden behind a large crate that looked like it was collecting dust, which further increased the chances of their bay being abandoned, making sure to remember the location for later retrieval.

Once they were free of the bulky suits, they moved cautiously towards the cargo bay exit, staying close to the holographic grid to remain hidden; Polly was practically stepping on Gauge's heels as they approached the doorway. Gauge activated the scanner on his multitool again, checking for signs of life beyond.

"I'm picking up multiple life forms nearby," Gauge whispered, his voice barely audible. "We need to proceed with caution." Polly nodded, his expression serious as he prepared for whatever they might encounter. With that, they stepped out of the bay and into the corridor; this was the perfect place to be; the promenade was full of colorful, malleable, and cute-looking, gooey animal creatures. There were hundreds; luckily for Gauge and Polly, this was just about midday, when people were tending to shops, talking to one another, and just existing. The holographic cloak gave them a sense of security, but they knew they couldn't afford to let their guard down. Polly silently observed, "How long has it been since you've seen another one?"

"Uh? 15 years?" That was all of his life. Polly hadn't even reached the age of ascension yet, and he'd never been home. He wasn't even sure how he got to Earth. "They're so colorful and happy," Polly observed Gauge paused so that Polly could look at the people, and he watched in awe as they silently went about their business. Gauge smiled as he watched Polly observe his people. "I want to talk to one?"

"What happened to being careful?" Gauge looked over his shoulder at Polly, who showed no indication that he was joking. Gauge chuckled softly at Polly's eagerness but couldn't deny his curiosity. After all these years away from his home planet, seeing his fellow Omeocoons probably filled him with a sense of longing and nostalgia.

"I understand, Polly. It's been a long time since you've seen them." Gauge replied, his voice tinged with wistfulness, making him regret what he would say next. "But you know we can't. We don't know what kind of reception we'll receive here, especially considering the circumstances."

Polly nodded in understanding, his expression a little as he considered Gauge's words. "You're right. We should observe for a while longer before we make any moves. That's what we're here to do, observe... no interaction." Polly remembered sadly.

Gauge nodded in agreement, appreciating Polly's level-headedness. "Let's stick to the plan for now. We'll discreetly gather as much information as possible and then decide on our next course of action."

With that, they continued to blend into the crowd, observing their surroundings and keeping their ears open for any snippets of conversation that might shed light on the situation. As they moved through the promenade, they both couldn't shake the excitement and apprehension about finally being so close to these people. It felt exhilarating.