Chapter 49: Cube

"What... is... it?" Gauge asked; he looked disgusted as he observed Kipp slide a tray before him. On it was a perfectly square block of beige. If exposed to radiation, it looked like it would jump off the tray and start crawling around like a spider. "It's a block of nutrients. I haven't had much experience with cooking. But I programmed the matter synthesizer to come up with this: Omeocoon doesn't eat. But I'm pretty sure this consumable will solve your IV problem! So I'm pretty proud of it. Go on, try it." Kipp urged innocently. His pupils dilated with excitement, just like an Earthen feline would, and his tail moved in the background. He was obviously thrilled with his creation. And so was everyone else. The entire crew of the Eclectus surrounded Gauge at the table and eyed him, just like everyone else eyed Tommy when he took that sip of coffee.

"It looks... beige." Gauge picked up the fork, his hand trembling with fear. He started by poking it... it was firmer than he was expecting. He took a chunk out of the corner; his fork ran through roughly; it certainly wasn't like butter. After collecting the corner, he slowly brought the fork up to his mouth, his teeth closing around the tines of the fork. "Now... chew... slowly," Kipp instructed as if Gauge had never eaten a day in his life. Gauge's taste buds reacted immediately, and the flavor was so vile that the direct comparison would've been dirty socks or something else equally foul. The texture was like sandpaper. Gauge pushed all of it into his cheek and used it as a pocket. Filing for a trashcan later. "How is it?" Kipp asked with astonishment.

Gauge's eyes began to water as the color visibly drained from his body. He nodded slowly to avoid speaking. "It... it's good." Gauge said with his mouth still full. It was disgusting. "Well, sallow." Maxion laughed. He could see the despair on Gauge's face. It was nasty. Gauge could no longer hold it in, so he gaged, and Cam sprung into action immediately, reaching for a trashcan. Gauge vomited into it as soon as it was in range. He even took it from the medic and continued until everything he'd eaten was out of his stomach, which was basically nothing because he was being fed intravenously. Everyone laughed at that except for Kipp, who asked in furrowed brow bewilderment, "What happened? Is it bad?"

"Bad? Kipp... never touch anything related to food again. Stick to engineering." That made the population chuckle again. Even Cal, who seemed to radiate militaristic seriousness, was having a laugh. "It tastes like dirty socks. It's disgusting!" Kipp scoffed dramatically. He seriously thought he was a master chef or something, and he was genuinely offended. "I think I'll stick to being fed with a tube." Cam shook his head as he picked up the tray, turning to recycle it in the same synthesizer slot that fabricated it. "You can't just keep getting fed with IV Gauge... it's not good for you. You're risking bruising, infection, vitamin overdoses, and vein inflammation. Not to mention the lack of flavor." Ironic someone who did not eat mentioned flavor, Gauge thought that Omeocoon would've viewed such things as irrelevant, but he enjoyed learning new things about Polly's species.

"If I have to eat one of those cubes again, I'll riot." Gauge threatened, "I'll keep tweaking the recipe. I'm sorry it's not to your liking, Princess." Kipp glared. His tone was suddenly less chipper and more salty. "I'll work on the taste a bit. But I'm sorry, it's not a souffle." Gauge tried to defuse the situation, "Hey. I appreciate you trying to make me food. But, this is awful."

"Are you ready for your actual next meal?" Cam asked, "Yes, please." Gauge sighed in relief. He moved to roll up his sleeve when D1 chirped over the cabin speaker. "Excuse me. Long-range sensors have detected a class one planetoid."

"Class one?" Cam questioned. He looked up at the ceiling as if trying to make eye contact with the disembodied voice operating the ship. "Class one, habitable to humanoid life with conditions comparable to Earth," D1 explained. Kai, who was in the corner drafting a message for his brother and his cousin, sat up straighter. "Range?"

"2.3 light years. approximates 42 minutes at warp two." D1 illustrated. Of course, their ship could go faster than that, but they'd been reducing their power output to save on fuel. When they left the station, they barely had enough to begin with, departing under the idea that they'd find fuel along the way. "Could it be a possible source of fuel?" Kipp inquired. "Does it have food?" Gauge asked after Kipp. "At this range. I estimate a strong chance of both. Habitability is also a chance. However, I can not analyze the surface until we are within range." D1 continued, and Kai looked toward Cam as mission commander. The choice was ultimately his. "We should set a course for the nearest outpost."

"I don't know. Last time I was at an outpost, I had a stowaway." Kai eyed Maxion, who grinned in return. That was the first time they'd met when Maxion stumbled onto Kai's solar sailor in a drunken state. To Maxion, it felt like two years ago. But for Kai, with the time dilation, it felt like a few short months. Cam weighed in, gripping the straps of his backpack anxiously, "Well... I suppose I don't want to have stowaways... okay, the Eclecus will perform its first planetary landing." Cam made up his mind. Kai nodded, dropping his tablet and standing up. He started up the short distance of steps to the cockpit, "The course has been laid in." D1 added being one step ahead, the crew felt the ship shift in direction as D1 altered the warp stream to align with the planet's coordinates. "Kipp, Cal, I could use you up there for landing prep." Kipp's attitude shifted again, replacing the offendedness with his engineering whim as he pounced behind Kai. His first landing. Cal accompanied him, moving ahead. Maxion stood in the way of the hatch, and Cal groaned as he observed him. "Move," Cal said forcefully as he brushed Maxion aside. Once again, Cal behaved in a strange fashion. He did the same thing back on the station, seeming displeased with his presence for no reason. Kipp remained behind and allowed the rest of the staff to continue, including everyone. This would be the first time in space for most of the crew, with the exception of Kai and Maxion. It was understandable they'd want to witness the landing.

"What was that about?" Kipp asked his secondary father with a raised eyebrow of concern. "I'm not sure. That's the second time he's done that!" Maxion crossed his arms as his face twitched with agitation; it was rare for him to glare at anything. Maxion was usually all smiles and laughs. But now he was upset. "Kipp. I'm likable, right..? Why doesn't that bunny like me." Maxion asked as he kicked the edge of the steps. Kipp shrugged, "Well... maybe you should just ask him. That's what I would do." Maxion's glare softened into a smile, but his arms remained crossed. "Did Russell tell you that?"

"The source of which I receive my advice does not matter. The point is, you should talk to him. Merge with him if you want... but I think you're fine. It's probably just a misunderstanding. Just talk to him, Pop." Kipp shrugged, and Maxion nodded. "Okay. But I feel like it's not going to work." Maxion said, moving up the stairs. "Well, I'll talk to him first... you know. Warm him up. So it's not really that much of a surprise when you come to talk to him." Maxion's tail moved briefly at the proposal. "Really? Thanks, bud. Y'know... I'm glad I'm bonding with Russell because if our marriage doesn't work out, at least you'd still be my kid." Maxion took Kipp into a one-armed hug as they ascended the steps. "I know."