Chapter 21: Hidden Practice

Kai and Cal's story time went on for about three hours until it was interrupted by the insensitive banging of a visitor on the front door. "That's odd? Why wouldn't they use the doorbell?" Kai asked as he got up from his spot and opened the door using the access panel. "Hel—?" He couldn't even get it out; a blue and white dog rushed in past Kai, and Cal got up and started to stop him from venturing too far inside, but his much taller and muscular appearance seemed enough to stop him now. He tried to back out the door, but Kai blocked the exit. "Hey, I don't know if you're new here, but usually, it's customary to request permission before entering someone else's quarters." Kai had every right to be annoyed, but instead, he laughed it off nervously and tried to move closer. Upon inspection, he noticed that this person was wearing shifting inhibitors.

"Wait a second? Are you that rehabilitation guy? The one that was at the meeting a few weeks ago?" Cal recognized Howie; he was that dog Omeocoon helping bandage people up after the aftermath of the power plant explosion, but today, he was panicking, out of breath, and looked like he'd just bruised his eye. "It looks like someone punched you. Do you want some help?" Cal asked, concern etched in his voice. Howie nodded, his breath coming in ragged gasps as he tried to compose himself.

"Yeah, I... I was attacked," Howie managed to say between breaths, his voice trembling with fear and pain. "I need... I need to hide. Please." Kai didn't like it... if he was in these inhibitors, it meant he was a criminal, and what did Cal mean by rehabilitation? Cal quickly ushered Howie into their quarters, closing the door behind him. "Sit down, let us look at that eye," Cal said gently, guiding Howie to a nearby chair. Kai fetched a first aid kit while Cal examined the bruise, his brow furrowing in concern.

As Kai cleaned and treated Howie's wound, Cal softly asked, "What happened, Howie? Who attacked you?" Howie took a shaky breath, his hands trembling as he recounted the events that led him to their doorstep. He had been ambushed by a flying tablet from Tommy's hands. But, of course, he would probably try to blow it out of proportion in a twisted way. He enjoyed attention, and he was going to get it in any way he could from these suckers if only he knew that Tommy also lived here. "Tommy, that monster attacked me, he's completely crazy. He's out to get me." Howie whispered, his voice barely audible.

Kai and Cal exchanged a solemn look, their hearts heavy with suspicion for Howie's plight; sure, Tommy was... off recently, but he'd never outright attack someone for no reason. "Wait a second? You're saying my cousin attacked you? Tommy's one of the nicest people I've ever met, and he's my family... I haven't known him long, but he's still a hero. He's been through a lot but wouldn't attack you." Howie shook his head rapidly in fear. "No, trust me. He's lost his mind. You can go out there on the promenade and ask people yourself. There are witnesses."

Howie winced in pain as Kai 'unintentionally' pressed the wet towel a little too firmly against Howie's black eye. "Sorry," Kai said quickly, but he wasn't really. He was protective of Tommy just like he was of Bodi. Speaking of which, Tommy, D1, Kipp, and Bodi entered the space. "Kippy?" Cal exclaimed. He jumped off the sofa and quickly approached the kitty, who was equally happy to see the larger bunny. "Wow? Did you get taller? It feels like just yesterday you were like a stuffed animal." He said hello to Bodi as well before Tommy responded.

"Well, you know how extrusions get that little growth spurt before they reach the age of ascension. I think those new garments make you look very nice too. Like a true engineer. Anyway, I'll be looking after him for a few days." Tommy said, patting Kipp on the shoulder, "Is there something wrong with Russell?" Cal asked, and Tommy shook his head. "No, he and Maxion are going through mucusus. They want to extrude." Tommy actually smiled at that, despite Russell dragging him into medical against his will. He was happy for his playmate. And technically... since Cam was missing, Tommy was off the hook. "Oh. How exciting for them. I never thought about a bunny and a raccoon. Will that work?" Kai asked as he treated Howard's wounds. "Wait, what does that mean?" Kipp wedges in between because he lived in the woods and hadn't received the primary schooling required of new offspring like the others had. Tommy looked toward Kipp and figured it would be best to explain it to him. "It means you'll have a little brother or sister."

"Really?" Kipp seemed to be disgusted by that thought, "Erm... I'm not too sure about sharing Russell with someone else. I kind of like having him to myself." Everyone in the room laughed at that, "Tommy saved us from the intruders." Bodi blurted out, and that new knowledge disrupted Kai's fit of laughter. Horrified, he got up and moved over with the first aid kit. "What? Intruders? Are you okay?" He asked in a panic as he squished Bodi's face with his hands and tried to examine him. "Uh, hello? Isn't anyone going to help me?" Howie asked impatiently, and the room looked toward the canine Omeocoon. "That's the guy from the hallway. He called me a dummy! What's he doing here?" Tommy glared at Howie, "Since Russell is indisposed, you're my project now." Tommy did not hesitate to exhale a deep sigh of disappointment. "What's that supposed to mean? I have to stay here?"

"You go where I go; I need your help right now," Tommy informed. Howie didn't hesitate to try and leave the room. But when Tommy ordered him to stay, he whined in response but complied. "So what's going to happen with that intruder?" Kai asked; he was still concerned about his brother's health— but Bodi tried to pull out of Kai's grip. "I'm assembling a search party for his... friend; he slipped into a vent before I could grab him. I'm going to join."

"I'll come too." Cal volunteered; he'd been memorizing the station's schematics. "I think I could be useful." He further persuaded, Tommy nodded, "I need everyone's help now. We're all going." Kai squirmed at that, "Maybe the younger ones should stay behind... it could be dangerous for them."

"They should have the opportunity to participate. This is their home, and I want them involved." Cal's tail squirmed excitedly as he took Tommy's hand in intimacy. "A minute ago, you were... irritable, I noticed. What changed your mind?"

"I realized I was hurting someone... and I never would've thought I would lose my perspective. I used to be bubbly and kind and a pacifist. I don't want to lose myself again." Tommy approached Kai, "I have a different mission for you— find our doctor and tell him I said it's okay." Kai furrowed his eyebrow; he and Cam's conversation was private as far as he knew. Surely, Tommy couldn't have been referring to this. He wasn't sure of what to make of that. "He'll know what it means." Tommy nodded. As Kai absorbed Tommy's instructions, he nodded in understanding, still puzzled by the cryptic message for the doctor. "I'll find him and pass along your message," Kai affirmed. Meanwhile, Cal gathered his resolve, determined to contribute to the search party despite his initial reservations. "I'm ready to assist in any way I can," Cal declared, his voice steady with determination. Tommy's hand provided a reassuring anchor, grounding him amidst the uncertainty and danger ahead. With their resolve strengthened, the group prepared to embark on their mission, each member bringing their unique skills and strengths to the table.