Chapter 43: Bombardment

"Someone is attacking us," Russell confirmed finally. His eyes looked up toward the main viewer, and sure enough, there were two small fighters taking sweeps at the station's hull. "How many ships?" Cal questioned. It was the first time anyone had attacked him in years. He was understandably used to being viciously assaulted by random attackers. " Three ships, they look like scouts. Two pilots for each craft."

"Hail the lead vessel," Tommy ordered. Russell made it so. The speakers emitted a low tone as a notification that the channel was now open. "This is Dynamic Patrol Hero Tommy on detachment to Omeocoon station Alpha-Beta. Ceasefire and identify yourselves." The screen above them shifted from the view of open space to a nasty-looking alien creature. Her skin was blue with hits of white specked across her features like freckles; her eyes were all black and bulging out of the sides of her head. "This is raider pilot Gree'Vixar of the Empathian High Guard. Your station contains supplies and technology that we require. Surrender, and we will spare your people." Her voice was gruff and left room for little to no negotiation.

Russell snarled, "And who are you to think you have claim to an Omeocoon station?" He hissed. Tommy would've rathered he left out some of that nasty attitude, but his mindset was unwavering. "The Omeocoon supreme authority has fallen. Your government is no longer recognized. Prepare to be boarded." Tommy scoffed and pulled Bodi into view; the bunny smiled awkwardly; he was horrified at being in the spotlight. "This is our supreme authority right here. Now stop shooting at us." The transmission ended, and the fire continued. The audacity was unbelievable. "Will your new ship fly?" Tommy questioned Kipp. Kipp, who was beginning to observe the engineering reports, looked at Tommy, surprised. "No... I mean, yes, in theory. It will, but I still haven't fixed—"

"You and Russell go." He was going to mention that one thruster, which continued to be a problem for him, D1, and Kai. None of them seemed to be able to narrow it down to the time frame required for the ship to operate within safe perimeters. But it could fly... in theory. Theoretically, the Challenger could also fly, but it exploded because of a technical malfunction that could've been prevented. However, without proper completion, the Eclectus was a lost cause. He just needed a few more days to get it right... but he didn't have time. "Go, worry about it later." Tommy pushed them out of the room.

Kipp and Russell ran down the corridor into the shuttle bay. "What were you going to say?" Russell panted as they moved toward the ship quickly, "Wha?" Kipp's ear twitched. He needed clarification. "In the conning tower... said in theory? What does that mean?"

"Well, the ship is ready to fly, but that RCS thruster is still having trouble with cooling, and we still haven't finished programming the computer; we don't have an auto-control system."

"Auto control system? What is that?" Russell asked as they rounded a corner. Kipp enlightened him, "Well. It's the part that our onboard A.I controls. It's like a co-pilot. You know the mode that a thermostat gets into whenever you want it to adjust the temperature in a room by itself?" Kipp explained quickly. Russell nodded along, half-listening, "I understand. And without this system, can we fly?" Kipp hesitated momentarily before nodding, "Yes. But Kai better be a great pilot because, without computer control, the rear dorsal portal generator would need to be vented manually in order to stop the engines from reaching thermal runaway."

Russell cringed and then shushed Kipp. "Buddy, please— I can't take your technobabble. It's like you're speaking a different language. Just do what you have to do." Russell's mind raced with the gravity of the situation. The prospect of facing off against hostile raiders without a fully operational ship was daunting. There was no time to dwell on it. Kipp's brow furrowed in concentration. "I'll do my best, Dad... don't worry. But we have to move fast," He replied. Kipp dashed to the computer terminal outside the docking hatch, quickly assessing the status of the ship's systems. "We're almost there," He muttered to himself, his fingers dancing across the touch panel as he initiated the final sequence.