Chapter 58: Mother

Maxion's heart was pounding, his fear of facing his mother again palpable. Kipp's reassuring grip on his hand was a lifeline as they disembarked from the Eclectus via the docking port. The comfort was a balm, but the looming of his mother was still daunting and never left the back of his mind. "It's... Its confrontation was terrifying. I never thought I'd see her again, let alone ask her for a favor as monumental as this. 'Hey, Mom! It's me, your son. The one who left you behind. I was wondering if I could borrow a ship. Something small... with space for, say... 60,000 people or so?' She's not going to take it well." Kipp's furrowed brow mirrored Maxion's unease. He hadn't even met his grandmother yet, and he already seemed to dislike her. "Yikes... your mom... when's the last time you spoke?"

"Like four or five years," Maxion responded deadpan. "Oh boy..." Kipp said, whistling afterward. He sighed as they descended a small ramp connecting the docking port to the ground of the shuttle bay where their ship was staying. A very classy ceramic-built pearl-white droid waited for them at the end of the runway. Kipp had never seen materials so fancy on a device designed for... routing plasma conduits and repairing impulse drives. When it spotted Maxion approaching, it sounded a computerized boatswain's whistle. "All personnel, Lord Maxion has arrived." It announced mechanically all the other droids were of an identical model to this one. Ceased all other work and faced Maxion, showing him acknowledgment. "Hi A1. Long time no see. How are you these days?" Maxion asked, "I am functioning within normal parameters." The droid answered. It was a sophisticated unit. Instead of treads, A1 floated using a very expensive and very cutting-edge technology. Its guitar-pick-like hands were also detached from its body. Kipp didn't expect to see any droids or A.I on an Omeocoon-based installation, but this one seemed to be in the lap of luxury and under relatively good care, and if her upkeep of older units were any indication, maybe they'd come out of this with a starship after all.

"The Lady Larren is expecting you in the main house at once. I will escort you immediately." The droid's announcement was expected, and Maxion braced himself for his mother's snobbish reception. "Sure, not like we have a choice," Maxion muttered, his resignation evident. "Will your feline be joining us?" A1 questioned. Maxion nodded, "Very well. He will need a guest pass to access the facility."

"Actually. Why not make it level three access?" Maxion asked; the droid clicked and whirred momentarily as if thinking about the request. "Very well. Please extend your hand, feline." Kipp hesitated, but after Maxion nudged him to proceed, he complied; the droid rapidly and quickly extended its guitar pick-shaped appendage and pricked the tip of Kipp's finger— he jumped in horror and yelled, revoking his hand. "Gah! Ow!" Kipp shook his hand as if trying to make the pain disappear. Maxion grabbed him, "It bit me!" Kipp yelled again. Kipp moved to retaliate against it, but Maxion held him back, trying to keep him calm, "Hey... hey! It didn't bite you, alright? It's just an ID chip. You know, like the ones they give us in Capital City. Although... in retrospect... I should've warned you... sorry. Here, I'm going to take off your glove. Just relax, alright?" Maxion removed the glove in question to get to Kipp's injury. Maxion reached into his bag to grab a bandaid for Kipp's oozing finger. Caring for it delicately.

"Level three family pass granted. Please follow me." Kipp huffed, slipping his glove back on after Maxion had applied the bandaid. He tailed behind his father as he followed the droid, which had neglected to wait for them. The corridor beyond was covered in windows; it was pristine white, brightly lit, and littered with the occasional droid floating by as Kipp and Maxion walked behind Kipp despite the throbbing pain of the micro-surgery performed on his finger. Still observed the beauty of the planet as they walked down the corridor. These pathways ran through the entire grounds and were clearly designed to analyze the landscape. It was probably worth millions of onits. It made sense that it was better viewed than hidden behind some bulkhead. "My finger? Why'd it do that?" Kipp said, looking at his hand.

"Well. Remember when I said that it was a chip? In order to access the facilities, you need that. I've still got mine, and now you have one too." Maxion smiled. If Russell were here, probably would've reacted to the 'bite' in the same way Kipp did. It was a bit of a surprise to any unsuspecting individual visiting the house; Maxion could understand the reaction; honestly, he expected his mother to have moved onto a less invasive procedure. "This is a little elaborate... wouldn't it be better to use a hover-cart or something?" Kipp asked with mild irritation. "We'll get there in due time. You've got to learn to be patient, Kipper." Kipp snarled in response and then continued looking around. "I thought you said that she lived on an asteroid. This is a little... much."

"I may have downplayed it a bit," Maxion responded, "A bit?" Kipp retorted. "Look, buddy. When we get up there, just let me do the talking, alright?" Kipp eyed Maxion, restraining his urge to be offended. Instead, he delicately disguised it by pretending to scoff dramatically and then chortle without tipping his hand. "What? Are you telling me to keep my mouth shut?"

"Just for a little while... I don't think she'll be that pleased to see me. So it's better if we get straight to the point without any... attitude."

"Attitude?!" Kipp crossed his arms and stopped immediately, kicking his heel against the ground like a raging bull. "See, that's what I'm talking about, right there." Maxion pointed to Kipp's mouth, and the feline-Omoecoon had half a mind to bite his father's finger, "Now, I'm not like Russell, where I will attempt to ground you if I feel like you've been too naughty. I'm the cool dad." Maxion praised himself with a grin and a gesture to his own person. "I understand your skill and your... appetite for wanting to help. But I just know my mother better than you do, and yes, I didn't forget our merge. It's just that... experiencing her in my mind is different than experiencing her in person. So I'm asking you to please just stay quiet."