Chapter 26: Uninhabitable

Kipp constantly looked out the small 4 x 4 window in Tommy's quarters. Tommy never asked for much in the way of personal indulgence, but when he did make a request, it was usually simple and unique. Tommy always ensured an adequate view of the constellations. Any size window would've been nice, and when compared to the ladder, just about half the quarters on the station did not have a porthole. He was lucky. Kipp avoided the stars and looked down at Omeocoon, particularly the atmosphere. Bodi shuffled over, making mechanical noises like a robot. When Kipp glanced over his shoulder, Bodi was all dressed up in an array of boxes and tin foil. "Bodi, what are you doing?" Kipp turned around to face Bodi, but when he realized he was doing something silly, he returned to the window. "I've decided. Please make me into a robot. That way, I could be just like D1; she's so cool," Bodi admired D1, but Kipp did not, not right now anyway.

"What are you trying to find?" Bodi asked Kipp, but he just watched the planet's surface. He took his fancy tablet out of his bag and activated it, the holographic display popping out of the cylindrical, silver-polished titanium tube. That was enough to impress Bodi. He quickly liquified and oozed out of his costume when he saw something more interesting. "What's that thing?" Bodi pointed at the screen where the display did an impressive dance of arrows and equations around an artistic representation of Omeocoon, "It's a simulation I've been running when I was on that ship. I was using the sensors to chart the chemical composition of our planet's surface. Even in a damaged state, the Destiny's sensor array is eons more advanced than our station's. I was able to chart most of the islands, and there are over 63,000 people down there. But I'm intrigued."

"Wait? I thought that there were only a few thousand left?" Bodi asked, eying Kipp's tablet as the cat tapped away at his tablet. "It's a wonder how accurate technology can be when it isn't a part of a derelict station. It was clear that Kipp was doing stuff with engineering. Bodi's tail wagged. He'd been watching Kipp do this kind of stuff for a few days now, but so far, it'd been more mechanics and physical work, not... math. "Oh. You're doing math... gross." Bodi stuck his tongue out in disgust, sighed, and withdrew from Kipp's vicinity. He slumped over the arm of the couch, and his body hit the cousins with a mild thump. Tommy was gone, Cal was gone, and now even Kai was gone. They were doing something with the prisoners and couldn't be bothered to keep Bodi or Kipp entertained. "No, I'm doing biology." Kipp noted, "Specifically bio-tech. But this isn't what I'm good at."

"Really? Does that mean you're trying to figure out a way to restore the atmosphere so we can go home faster?" Bodi asked. Kipp shook his head. "No, that's not it. When Tommy's brother detonated those charges in the upper atmosphere, they were meant to disrupt the chemical balance that allows an Omeocoon to maintain its solid shape, or at least that's what I think it was meant to do. Therefore, rendering their physical form dissipated, it was meant to kill them. But I think it ruined the atmosphere of the planet, too. The chemical composition is wrong. The shading of the clouds makes it look like it's been breathing through an exhaust pipe. Cam, D1, and Narr said that the planet would begin regenerating after some time, but it's not."

"Wait..? You got all of this by looking out a window?" Bodi asked with narrowed eyes of skepticism. Kipp gasped and turned toward Bodi, offended. "It's context clues, Bodi. I've lived in the woods long enough to know when the planet isn't looking how it should be, and I think I know enough about engineering to do basic calculations." Bodi did not respond, "Bodi?" Kipp asked. He frowned at his newfound companion and called his name again, but there was no response. Kipp moved toward Bodi, whose back was now facing away from him as he approached. Bodi was soundly asleep. "There's no way you're taking a nap. Bodi, I need your help," Kipp's volume increased drastically as he tried to bring Bodi back to the world of consciousness. "Bode." Kipp insisted. He took the pillow off the couch and attacked Bodi with it. He'd gotten in a good few hits before Bodi woke up. "Hey! What are you doing that for?"

"I need your help." Bodi opened his eyes, turning back toward Kipp briefly, but he continued to lie down. "No... I hate math. It's so boring and dumb, and I hate it. Goodnight." Bodi turned over again, "It's the middle of the day!" Kipp argued as Bodi's eyes fluttered closed again, "Look. Please, Bode?"

"I've been watching you work for almost two days straight on that ship, not to mention the stuff you've been doing here since you've stayed with us. What makes you think I could help?" Kipp sheepishly scratched the back of his head. "Well... you're cute." Bodi sat up and took the pillow from Kipp to disarm the kitty before he could do any more damage. He hugged it and sat crisscrossed on the sofa. "Go on... I'm listening." Bodi liked it when his ego was stroked a little, and there was nothing wrong with that. "I'm... what's that word you used earlier?" Bodi asked, "Intrigued." Kipp filled in the blank, "Ah, yes, that's it. I'm 'intrigued.' Why do you think I'm cute?"

"Well. It's not me specifically. But other people think you are. You walk on the promenade, and everyone talks about you. You're nice, and people like that. Before you were around, it was mostly Maxion struggling to make everyone happy. But you've helped him. As an individual, you're like a mascot." Kipp further enforced, "Well, thank you... I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I guess I am pretty popular." Bodi's grin formed into a wide-mouth smile as he snickered deviously, Kipp's eyes narrowed in mild annoyance. "Look... I complimented you. Don't let it smother your winning personality."

"Sorry. But I can't help it. You know I've been gone forever, so it's nice knowing my people like me."

"Well. That's great because I need you to persuade someone to help us. That dog who was here a few nights ago? My dad works with him as a part of the rehabilitation program. He used to be Kieran's IT specialist. And he'd be the most familiar with these charges. I need him to tell me about the charges." Bodi crossed his arms. "No, I don't want to talk to him. He's a jerk. He called me a dummy. Can't we just get Cam to help us? He knows biology stuff." Kipp shook his head, "Cam and Kai are still missing. I'm sure they're around here somewhere, but we can't wait for them. Additionally, I need someone who knows Kieran's operation inside and out, and I need him now. I'll bother Cam about the bio stuff come later."

"Why?" Bodi questioned. Kipp looked at his tablet again and bit the knuckle of his index finger. He was nervous about it, "Because if this simulation is right... our planet won't be able to support life for much longer."

Bodi's eyes widened in alarm at Kipp's words. "Are you serious? But we have to do something! We can't just sit around and wait for the worst to happen!" Kipp nodded solemnly. "Exactly. That's why we need to act fast. We can't afford to waste any time, and I think your winning personality might be able to persuade him to help, but I've heard he could be... temperamental." Bodi sighed heavily, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on him. "Alright, fine. I'll talk to him. But if he gives me any trouble, I'm out." Kipp was pleased to have successfully persuaded Bodi, and together, they departed in search of Howie.