Chapter 45: Departure

Maxion, Cam, Kai, Kipp, and Cal waited outside the docking port. The final preparations for departure were completed, and they were now at the stage where all they had to do was push a button, and the ship would push off for its big mission. Now that the ship was tested and performed well, they just tightened the final nuts and bolts, including fixing that annoying thruster and the secondary systems, which had taken damage during its first fight. Kipp also introduced a fourth system control station, a mission specialist position, which was a configurable console that would give the mission commander access to all the vital systems and sensor data on board.

Cam nervously gripped the straps of his backpack and bounced on his heels nervously. "Tommy, it's not too late to change your mind. You can still come with us." Cam urged Tommy; he responded by shaking his head, "That's touching... Cam, really... but I believe in you. You will be an outstanding mission leader even though you don't want it. And I've gotta help Bodi settle in as Chancellor took Bode into a one-armed hug. Bodi did not pay any mind to his cousin as he entered a brawl with a Tamagotchi Kipp whipped up as an early present for his upcoming day of formation. Bodi threw a small tantrum when the virtual pet refused to obey his will.

"Okay... If that's what you want." Tommy hugged Cam now, and the mouse was not expecting that because he still held onto his back as Tommy awkwardly held him in between his arms. Kai moved over to Bodi, "Ugh! I don't understand why Chancellor!" Bodi stomped. He finally stopped playing with his game and paid attention to Kai. "Because you're the chancellor... you're not exactly a normal person anymore, Bode. You have authority, and people will want to hurt you." Kai explained. Bodi still couldn't understand, "Look, I'll be back in three months. That's no time."

"That's 91 days." Bodi rearranged. Kai smacked his lips, "You're just making yourself feel worse. They need a pilot, and I'm the best one. But I'll send you a message every day, and we'll be in communication range for the first two weeks, so I'll call you, I promise." Bodi settled for that and hugged his brother tightly.

Gauge approached with his hands behind his back. Russell eyed him suspiciously. "What is it, Gauge?" Russell asked undiplomatically. "Well... since Polly and I are gonna be here a while with Kipp gone and all... I figured he could use some help with the time machine... And I was wondering." Gauge paused dramatically, and Polly nudged him with his elbow, encouraging him to ask the question. Russell's eyebrows turned inward impatiently. He crossed his arms as usual. "Spit it out, Gauge."

"Can I go with the team?"

"No."

"But... I'm qualified and have a degree, so you need me. Russell, all I want to do is help you and your people, please." Gauge begged. He resorted to getting on his hands and knees. He hugged Russell's legs tightly, and Russell freaked out. He didn't appreciate physical touching from people he barely knew. Gauge really wanted to go. "No, damn it, stop touching my body!" Russell exclaimed. He tried to push Gauge as far away as possible, but Gauge's grip only tightened, his bone-crushing strength beginning to make Russell groan in agony. "Gauge... please. Alright, you can go!" He continued to try to push Gauge off his body, but the Earthen pup possessed a hideously painful ability to apply pressure on body parts that shouldn't be under such strain. Russell relented, realizing that Gauge's help might indeed be valuable despite his unorthodox methods of persuasion.

"Really?" Gauge looked up at Russell with blue eyes just like Tommy's. Perhaps that innocence prompted Russell to give his blessing, or maybe it was the broken bones. His voice strained with discomfort as he finally managed to pry Gauge off his legs. "If it's okay with Cam," Russell looked toward the mouse, who was still building his self-confidence at being the leader of this excursion.

Maxion was first offered captaincy, but he refused in the interest of avoiding responsibility. So, it fell to the medical mouse. He reluctantly nodded but smiled softly. "I suppose... you can tag along, Gauge... it could be interesting."

"But you better not cause any trouble." Russell pointed at Gauge. His face lit up with excitement, his enthusiasm bubbling over. "Thank you, Russell! I promise you won't regret this," He yelled, bouncing on his heels. He then hugged Russell, once again crushing his bones.

Russell squirmed and eventually elected to ooze out of Gauge's grip, much to the canine's surprise. "Be good, and don't crush any bones." Gauge shrugged. No promises." He smiled as he made his way onboard the ship. "And you," Russell said, eyeing Polly, "Are staying here and helping me defend the station. So, I hope you like security training."

"Actually. I think that Polly's skills would help me better. He's a strategic operations officer. I need him and his unique ability." Tommy explained. He finally sat down and read Russell's report, intrigued. Polly was probably the most intelligent person at the station next to D1, and he would be able to do the numbers for evacuation. Polly stuck his tongue out at Russell, no indentured servitude for him. Russell would have to find someone else to be his lapdog. "Very well," Russell said gruffly before he wrinkled his nose with contempt.

"Hey, babe... can Kipp and I borrow you for a second? Because I have to know." Maxion grabbed Russell by his elbow, pulling him aside for questioning. "You're going to stay behind and adopt those kids you arrested like a month ago?" He knew Russell didn't want to go, but he didn't think he wanted to expand the family. "Yes— they need strict guidance and discipline. I think that we can provide. I didn't always fashion myself a father, but I must admit, after being with Kipp and extruding with you... I think it may be growing on me. Also, Ollie and Kody can't stay in that cell forever, and since all the other children have found homes, I don't want them to be in limbo."

"Aw... Russell.... That is surprisingly cute of you." Maxion kissed Russell on the cheek, and Kipp brushed his tail against Russell's leg to grab his attention. "While you're getting all these kids, don't forget about the one that's been with you for the past two years." Kipp requested a hug with his arms wide. That was a seldom moment that Russell took advantage of immediately. They hugged, and Russell released Kipp and held him by his shoulder. "Take care of our boy. If anything happens to him, I'll never forgive you."

"Well? What if something happens to both of us?" Maxion inquired coyly. "Well then, I'll still never forgive you." Russell and Maxion kissed for real this time, on the lips, and held hands for a while. They reminisced about the last two years and then a little further. Talking about the friends they'd lost in the tragedy, they seldom spoke about those friends. But the moment seemed right. Maxion and Russell continued their conversation. Cal listened but did not make it obvious that he was intruding. He was disappointed; he wanted to be a father to those children, but he liked Tommy more. Unfortunately, Tommy didn't want kids but did not want to lose Tommy. He'd never felt closer to anyone and wanted to see where their relationship would lead, even if it did not involve children immediately.

"I know it's difficult. But you know what I said, and I'm not changing my mind. The time isn't right." Tommy watched Maxion and Russell and then Cal. He'd been with him long enough to know that he was past upset when his ears drooped below normal levels. "I know... I can still be the teacher, though. When I come back, I'll be able to teach new things about space... so it's not all that bad." Cal said, looking on the bright side. But Tommy could tell that he'd volunteered as an escape hatch. Time apart would be good for their relationship, but they still held their tails together and went all lovey-dovey before it was time for them to leave.

"Dad. For god's sake, please feed my bird." Kipp pleaded seriously. Kipp always had an affinity for birds, and it did not stop when he moved in with Russell. And when he went missing on the Destiny for those few days, the thing never stopped crying for him. He found his gel-wing making a nest two months ago when they found Cal mucking about in the forests of Omeocoon on the Falcon's last expedition mission. And it's been a part of their household ever since. "Who do you think's been feeding it the entire time you were throwing a fit on the Destiny?"

"Dad, eh... other Dad." Kipp smiled at Maxion, but his eyebrows hinted at sadness because he was leaving his father for three months, but they needed the best engineer. Maxion shrugged because it was indeed him who was taking care of the wing. "I promise I'll feed it." Russell glared at Maxion in pure jealousy. As the Eclectus prepared to depart, the crew—or rather, the family—said their final goodbyes and walked their friends to the docking port as they boarded the ship.

Almost the entire station population occupied the single biggest window upon the Eclectus' departure, cheering the vessel on as it went to warp.