Chapter 29: Conference

After about six hours, Tommy returned to Gauge, who squinted as the blinding light flooded the cell and then rescinded as the door sealed behind him. "Good morning, sleepy head. I figured a few hours alone with time to think would persuade you to open up to me a little more. So, tell me, what kind of powers do you have?" Tommy asked as he offered Gauge a ration bar. Gauge quickly read the label on the front. "No thanks. That's been expired for a week." Gauge wrinkled his nose in disgust, "Can I see Polly?" Tommy shook his head, "Look, we don't eat here... and the synthesizer system hasn't functioned properly in months; until my nephew fixes it, you'll have to make do with this ration bar and whatever else I give you. I'm not interested in starving you. I will have my doctor either force-feed you, or you could make it easy and just eat this. I promise you it's not that bad." Tommy continued to hold it out; ironically, he'd never consumed any solid food, so he wasn't sure if it was truly bad or not. Gauge, with resignation, took it with his shackled wrists and cumbersomely tried to tear the plastic packaging away from the goodies inside. Tommy sighed and snatched it back impatiently, opened it, and returned it to Gauge.

"Thanks." Gauge expressed, he sounded defeated. He just held it; he didn't eat it. He just had it in his hands, which only fueled Tommy's impatience. "You never answered my question... when can I see my brother." Gauge continued to press, less of a question and more of a demand that time. Tommy just looked at his tablet. "What kind of powers do you have?" Gauge frowned at Tommy, "Well... I have flight, a healing factor, super strength, and I can fire energy blasts out of my palms. That's actually a new one. My powers come from my bond with my brother; the closer I am to him. The stronger I am." Tommy looked up from his notes, intrigued by that. "Wait? So you're not an alien?"

"No, in my universe... some canines have been known to develop deep bonds with friends, enabling abilities like mine." Tommy was starting to believe that Gauge's story wasn't made up after all. They certainly didn't have anything like that in his Dynamic Patrol, but it sounded far too specific and convoluted to be made up on the spot... but then again, they could've told him to say that. "And you said I was the 'wrong' color or something along those lines?" Tommy continued, "Yes... well, in my universe. You're blue and white. Not orange and black." Gauge informed, that was strange for Tommy to hear. "And... my team..? Are they a thing?"

"Yes, there are still four additional members of Gel-Squad. Your second in command, medic, playmate, bodyguard, and your brother Kieran," That made Tommy stop abruptly in the middle of his log. "Wait? My brother? Then, if that's the case, how did Omeocoon end up like... this, in your universe?"

"Well, it happened when all the power plants went thermal runaway."

"At the same time..?" Tommy raised an eyebrow. Gauge shrugged at that, "That's what the historians say. Do you think I could ask something..?" Gauge inquired eagerly; he was just excited to be in the presence of his role model. Despite the difference of universes, Gauge was still obsessed with Tommy. The squirrel nodded subtly. Gauge's tail fluttered with happiness. "Oh, great! When you became a hero, did it take you long to gain the trust of your teachers? How long did it take you to become a senior member?" Gauge asked with sparkles in his eyes, which creeped Tommy out, "First of all, that's two questions. Second, you do realize I'm not your Tommy, right?"

"Oh, I know! You're even better than he is. I like you; you're... rustic and hardened. Like a cowboy."

"Cow... boy?" Tommy asked awkwardly, not knowing what that was. They did not have cows on Omeocoon; therefore, they did not have cowboys. "Please, my question." Gauge insisted, "Well when I was a junior member, I was the first of my people to join directly after my planet was integrated into the Dynamic Patrol. From there... I was a hard worker; my instructors called me a 'charger,' and I rose quickly. I achieved senior member in two months—the fastest in history. A lot of people praised me, but it was really to spit in the face of everyone who saw me as a refugee from a primitive planet when compared to the rest of the galaxy. Omeocoon was rather isolated and not as technologically advanced. It took us twice as long to become members. I wanted to represent my people. That's why I get to wear this jacket. And when you go home, I'm sure you'll have one too."

"Wowie... sounds deep. I wish I could merge with you; that way, you could show me everything in your mind... I'm jealous of you."

"Don't be. Each hero has their own path to follow, and the universe selected you to be your species for a reason. You shouldn't feel any less special than me or any other hero in your training group." Gauge was not expecting that... he was naturally very excited now. He'd almost forgotten that he was a prisoner here. "Thanks for that."

"Don't thank me, thank Beverley Stafford. She's the woman who sponsored my tests. I think about her a lot. You have a mother back home, yeah?" Gauge nodded. He missed his mother and father very much, but he knew they were right around the corner with just a jump through the time dilator. "I was split; my version of reproduction does not have parents, and that woman is the closest thing I have to a mother. My only biological brother is in the belly of this station, rotting away because he couldn't control his impulses."

"I think that's enough questions from you for now. You should eat." Tommy stood up. "No... I don't want it. But thank you."

"Gauge, it wasn't an option. I'm not above the force-feeding thing." Gauge sighed. He knew he couldn't refuse Tommy's orders. He was holding all of the cards. Reluctantly, he unwrapped the ration bar and took a small bite, forcing himself to swallow despite the stale taste. "Can I at least see Polly?" Gauge asked again, his voice tinged with desperation. Tommy hesitated for a moment before responding. "I'll consider it."