Chapter 66: Fight

The Panthorians returned, chanting another song of the dammed, but this version differed from Bodi's— once again enforcing the idea that there would be a different rendition of the song for every opponent the Panthorians faced. They carried torches that lit their way as they came through the destroyed gates of the village. There were 23 Panthorians in Cuddles' entourage, and they all arrived to witness the breaking of Oscar's bones. The remaining 35 tribe members also reassembled to watch. Déjà vu for them; the last time someone fought for dominance, it was Tommy against Kallum. Cuddles inhaled a deep breath of fresh air as he beamed in anticipation. "Oscar, Russell, and Kallum. All sons of Keldar." Cuddles started as he finally met the Omeocoon. He said one hour, but here he was, arriving 30 minutes after the deadline he set himself. Punctuality was evidently not the Panthorian way. "It's been a long time. Do you like the chorus I've composed for you, Oscar? I've been waiting years for you to hear it." Cuddles said, his eyes darted toward Bodi and Tommy. "Chancellor." Cuddles greeted, surprisingly respectful, "And the orange one... what did you say your parents' names were?"

"Nice try, but I never told you my mother's name. I am Tommy, and I'll be the one fighting you." Tommy stepped forward, moving Oscar out of the way to safety. "I will protect the lives of my people, and I won't let you kill Oscar so that you can satisfy some vendetta or fetish you have with breaking people's bones." Cuddles laughed loudly, as did the rest of his men. "I already told you, squirrel. Family only from this point on. Plus, you're a generation one..?"

"Yes... but why does that matter?" Tommy scoffed, "You don't have bones. No crunch. Are you ready, Oscar?"

Russell stepped forward, "Now... Just wait one minute. Oscar is no match for you... a Jhat'Deege hasn't been performed in centuries... maybe we should make a few alterations to the rules. For instance, your muscles and height have doubled compared to the Panthorians that crashed here 400 years ago. You've evolved to kill the animals that live in the woods." Russell observed. It looked like Oscar wasn't the only one familiar with Panthorian lineage.

"What's your point?" Cuddles rolled his eyes dramatically, wanting to get to the bones. "Well, Tommy can't take you on alone. I propose that he and I merge together and fight you as one. That would semi-even the field and satisfy your desire for family-only bloodshed." Russell enunciated calmly, "Oh... and you know I'm a G2, so merging with Tommy would give you bones to break. And since it's Tommy's cousin who wants to claim one of you, it makes sense."

"Ah... Russell, fellow 'deserter', always the clever one. I must admit I didn't consider it that way!" Cuddles rubbed his chin, "Very well! I accept your terms. But only because I've never seen two Omeocoons merge and hold a fully functional form. Curiosity gnaws at me." He then turned to Oscar and gave him head pats like a dog. "I suppose this means your bones are safe for the time being. Well, proceed with your merging." Cuddles prompted Russell and Tommy before crossing his arms, sneering at them. "Dude. It's been forever since we've formed Tussell... plus... I'm a little shy... I've never done it in front of so many people." Tommy's voice was a whisper now; all eyes were on him and Russell; he was right to be concerned— merging was considered quite an intimate and private act. Even though goo was in their nature— Omeocoon didn't use their abilities every day. True, down to the core, their most impressive power was shapeshifting. But... in everyday life, those powers had little to no meaning. It was almost like how Earthens use their internal organs, vital to their survival, but not at the forefront of their entire personalities.

"No, it's okay. I want to do this for Bode. I felt like I was too hard on him in the briefing room. I should probably learn to be more patient with our youth... Seeing as how I have four children now." Russell briefly looked toward Ollie and Kody; they were looking back at their caregiver with heightened interest, feeling the same emotions as everyone else in the crowd. Russell appeared to be actively undergoing a personality change— he'd always been quite strict with most people, especially Kipp because he only expected the best from his family... now after nearly losing his son because of a vicious feud... he suddenly felt as though he needed to be more lenient, reconnecting with his brothers was the primary reasoning for this. It was a wake-up call, a reminder that he did not want to be like Kallum or their mother. If he did, his life would be attacked and destroyed like this village. "Well... if I can't change your mind." Tommy said, smiling with gratitude... at least he'd get to feel what it's like to have broken bones thanks to Russell's physical parameters. And he'd get to fight with his best friend. "Get on with it..." Cuddles muttered again after an exaggerated and, quite frankly... dramatic sigh; he made sure that the duo knew that he was growing impatient.