Chapter 5

"I found my mate" I mumbled in his neck

Duke just responded by nodding and kissing my neck.

"We should talk now," I said

"Ummm" he mumbles in my neck before kissing it again, this time causing me to laugh.

Who knew all it would take was Duke hearing me laugh for him to pull back and smile at me.

"Come on let's sit down then" he walked me to the table and pulled out a chair for me, (such a gentleman) said my wolf and I just nod my response.

We sit there for what seemed like minutes just staring at each other before Duke cleared his throat and said "so what did you want to talk about little mate"

I smiled at the nickname, "well I want to know, what now? Like you're the next in line Alpha and I'm still school. How is that going to work?"

"You're still in school, how old are you? "He asked

"I'm 18 and I only got 3 months left before graduation"

Silence took over after I said that and it looked like Duke was having a conversation with his wolf.

"If it was up to my wolf, you would be marked right now and carried to my room and carrying our pups by the end of the month."

I knew at this point my face was completely red from hearing that but before I could say anything, he continued. "But I know finishing school means a lot to you or else you wouldn't have brought it up. So as hard as this is, I think we should keep us a secret."

"A secret" I strutted to say, was he embarrassed by us?

As if reading my mind, he quickly tried to explain what he meant. "It's not because I'm ashamed or embarrassed by you. I want to show off my beautiful mate to everyone" he paused to kiss the back of my hand easing my doubt.

"But we both have things we need to complete before we can take over the pack. You have school and as soon as dad finds out I have a mate he'll want you to drop everything and start training to be Alpha female."

Everything he said made sense except the part about him having to complete something.

"Ok we can keep us a secret" I said and a look of relief crossed his face.

"But what is it that you have to complete first, you don't go to school anymore," I asked and he smiled before answering me. "You really are perfect for me," he said instead and kissed me on the cheek.

Day one and he's already keeping secrets, I thought.

"It's not a secret love, I'll tell you about it but not right now. Just know I'm working on fixing something I broke a long time ago"

"Ok I can respect that," I said.

"I think we should be heading back to the BBQ in your honor"

"Do we have too?" he asked with a pout

I giggled before nodding my head yes and getting up to head to the exit

"Wait" yelled Duke pulling me back

"You need to spray this on" he handed me a small spray bottle with no label on it and a clear liquid inside

"What is this Duke?" I asked instead of taking it.

"It's a scent remover, it removes the scent of anyone that is on you"

"Wow, how did you get something like this? I never heard of this" I said in awed

As if trying to avoid eye contact, Duke looked over my shoulder and kept his eyes there while answering me. "Just something I came across, nothing to worry about"

Before I could say anything else he sprayed it one me, "what the hell Duke?" I snapped at him.

"Why would you spray something on me without my permission" I continued

"It was for the best and someone is coming this way" he said before spraying himself and putting the spray in his pocket.

"There you are" Said Lauri walking in on us

"I knew I would find you in the library, now enough hiding time to party" she continued as if Duke wasn't in the room.

"Ughhh" Duke cleared his throat causing Lauri to finally notice him. How can that girl be so oblivious I thought to myself?

"OMG Duke, I mean Alpha. I am so sorry Alpha Duke Sir" I could help but bust out laughing at Lauri.

"Stop laughing Melody, I don't want to get in trouble" she yelled at me causing me to stop laughing and Duke to growl.

"Do not yell at her!" he said to a shocked, confused and scared Lauri.

I knew I had to say something to stop Duke from making the situation worst and blurting our secret.

"Alpha" I stressed out causing his attention to focus back on me.

"Lauri was just joking, she's my best friend. This is normal for us and a lot of other people in the pack. We sometimes yell at each other, I might yell at someone and they yell back nothing to worry about it or step out of character for." I said hoping he caught my hint and he did because he winked at me and nod his head before turning around and apologizing to Lauri and telling us goodbye.

Now that is was just me and a still shocked Lauri, I started counting knowing that soon Lauri would snap out her state and demand to know everything. (You will not tell her anything, we promised mate) said my wolf, of course, I answered her.

"What was that all about? Why where you in here with Duke? Why did he go crazy Alpha on me because I yelled at you?" the questions poured and I had to take a deep breath before even speaking because I realized Lauri couldn't smell Duke on me, his spray thing worked. (I never doubt it would) said my wolf with pride.

"Ok calm down it's no biggie, we ran into each other before you came in and as for yelling at you, what I can say he's an Alpha who knows," I said hoping Lauri would believe me.

"Hmm ok, it seems like there's more to it than that when he saw me last week he was cool but I'll take your word for it."

"Now let's go have some fun," she said before grabbing my hands and leading me outside.

The first thing I saw when we step out in the backyard was Blair clinging to Duke's arm. It was as if I had a tunneled vision because all I could see was them and it was making me and my wolf angry. (How dare she touches mine) snapped my wolf.

As if Duke could feel my eyes on him, he turned and look at me before shaking his head as if telling me no. One look in his eyes and I could tell that's exactly what he was doing, I was a bit hurt by it but decided to shrug it off after all I did agree to keep us a secret. (I don't like it, why did you agree?) Asked my wolf but before I could answer her, Lauri asked me a question "why are you giving Blair the evil eye?"

Oh sh*t what was I supposed to say, I couldn't tell her it's because she's touching my mate.

"Is it about the cheesecake incident, because you know that girl's a b*tch" she whispered the last part so no one could hear her with our enhance hearing.

"You're right, forget it. Let's go dance" I said shaking off the feeling.