Chapter 17

Lauri POV

It's been about 45 days since we've been traveling around, and still no signs of Melody. Parker was no longer snapping at us but I couldn't say he was acting like his normal self either. Something was off about him but he refused to talk about it so we would just him be. Now that our time is almost up, we're heading back to the pack, passing a couple of small towns that originally we ignored.

"I can't believe we didn't find our mates or Melody," Oliver said.

Parker scoffed and said, "what did you expect we're not sherlock".

"Do you always have to be so sarcastic?" Oliver asked his twin.

"I think it's part of Parker's charm, couldn't imagine him without it," I said interrupting them.

"You know it," he said sending me a smile and a wink.

Soon afterward my phone started to ring and Ariel's name flashed on the screen, "I gotta take this call, it's Ariel".

"Hey, Lauri, how are you, Oliver and his brother been doing?" she asked cheerfully, and I noticed that she was still calling Parker, just Oliver's brother.

"We're doing good, but look like we're coming back empty-handed. I haven't been able to find out anything about Melody and neither boys had luck finding their mates."

"It's ok Lauri, you did your best and I think the Alpha is getting close to finding out what happened. He's been taking it very seriously and has everyone watching and looking out for Duke and Melody. So don't stress it out, you did an amazing thing for my family," Ariel said.

"Thanks for saying that but I wanted to be the one to bring home your big sister, but I'm still happy the Alpha is also looking out for her, with him on it I'm sure they'll find them soon."

"Yup, well hurry back, I'll miss you, Lauri," she said and I never thought the day would come when Ariel would actually be looking forward to seeing me. But hearing her say just made my day, being an only child I've always wanted younger siblings and the closest thing to a sister I had was Melody.

"I miss you too," I told her honestly.

"And tell Oliver I said hi, see you soon Lauri ok bye, mom's calling me gotta go," she said quickly before hanging up.

"Hey Oliver, Ariel said hi," I told him.

"She's such a sweet a girl, you should of let me talk to her and see how she's holding up," he said.

"Really Octopus, are you that desperate for a mate that you're chasing Mel's kid sister" Parker snapped at him

"What the f*ck," I said and at the same time Oliver said "don't call me an Octopus before I punch you in your already f*cked up face"

"Really, you think you got what it to take me on, Octopus" Parker yelled in his face and that was all it took for Oliver to punch him.

"Stop, stop" I yelled but they kept going and that's when I started looking around for somebody to help me. It was then that I saw her, walking in a diner holding hands with a guy who's face I couldn't see, she was laughing with him. She looked happy, Melody really did run off to be with her rogue mate I thought.

"Can y'all stop!" I yelled at the twins, they both stopped.

"What is wrong with y'all, did you really have to punch him, Oliver? and you Parker why are you snapping at everyone? This was supposed to be a trip for us to find our mates and get info on Melody but instead, it's been a complete mess" I yelled at them.

"While you guys were fighting, I just saw Melody walk in a diner and I would have gone over there but yall dummies were busy fighting" I continued.

"Sorry Lauri," Oliver said looking guilty

"Did you say, Melody? As in Ariel's sister Melody?" Parker asked

"Yes, but I don't think she was kidnapped," I told him

"what do you mean?" Oliver asked

"I saw her with a guy, laughing and she looked happy. I think he might be her mate and she really did run away to be with him" I said sadly

"So what are we going to do?" Oliver asked

"I don't know go home and tell everybody the truth, I guess."

"Naw I don't think so," Parker said

"huh"

"We didn't come all this way just to go back and tell Ariel that her sister really did leave without saying anything to her. That's going to break her heart, that Melody chick needs to give us a real answer we can take back to her" he said almost as if he cared.

"Parker is right, we gotta at least talk to her," Oliver said agreeing with his brother.

Parker was right, I had to talk to Melody, hear it from her mouth before I can tell her family.

"Ok, so you guys go get cleaned up and I'll head to the diner," I told them before taking a deep breath to prepare myself to deal with the truth.

*** Vote and Follow