Chapter 27

Melody POV

As soon as Duke and his mother were in the car, I drove off. I didn't even have a chance to look at his mother or even say anything. My heart is racing and my mind laser focuses on just driving to safety. I hear sounds coming out of Duke's mouth but I just can't focus on the words, the flames were the last thing I remembered.

I'm not sure how long we drove or how fast I was going but when I couldn't see or smell smoke anymore that's when I started to calm down.

"Give her seconds, she looks like she's coming around," I heard Duke's mom say. For the first time that night I turned around and looked at her. She was everything I thought she would be as far as looks go, she looked amazing. Even with everything going around, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between her and Duke.

"Hey babe, pull over and let me drive. You did a great job, let me take over the driving," Duke and I just nodded before pulling over. He took over the driver seat but not before placing a kiss on my forehead. I decided to sit in the back with his mother instead of the passenger seat.

Once Duke started driving, I turned to look at his mother again. She was staring at me with kind eyes, her blonde hair a messy and a small sad smile on her face.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Hi, I'm Mel, Melody. I'm Melody, Duke's mate," I said pointing at Duke nervously. This is my mate's mother, my future mother in law, women I didn't even know exist until recently.

"I'm Danielle, so happy to meet you even if it's in this circumstance. My son is very lucky to have a mate like you, I never thought I would get to meet his mate. I'm happy he found you," she said with an honest smile which brought to tears to my eyes.

Duke's mother was a beautiful person inside and out, to think of how her mate treated her is disgusting.

"Mom's right I am very lucky and blessed to have you as my mate Melody. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been able to break my mom free." Duke said before giving me a quick glance, his mother beside me nodding.

"I'm very lucky to have him as a mate also, and I am so happy to meet you, Ms. Danielle." I said but was interrupted by her "call me Dani, we're family." Dani said before reaching over and gave me a hug.

"So tell me what's going on? Why did you guys break me free?" Dani asked.

"What do you mean, why did we break you free? Did you want to stay there?" Duke asked in a panic and I could only imagine what he's thinking about right now. That his mother actually wanted to be away from him and didn't want to be rescued.

"Of course not, not a day passed by did I not think about leaving. If it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't walk or shift, I would have left a long time ago and come for you. But I know there has to be a reason why you're reducing me like how you did. Your father wouldn't have allowed it, I'm sure he had you under an Alpha command."

Dani was right there was a reason for reducing her when we did but as for how it was done, that was another story. What was suppose to be a simple rescue mission turned into burning a whole building down? A building that had other people in it, somebody's mother or father, we just killed.

That thought alone caused me to gag, I wanted to throw up but nothing was coming out.

"What's wrong? Is everything ok with Melody?" Duke asked in a panic.

"I'm ok, just felt like throwing up," I said quietly.

"Are you pregnant?" Duke whispered but just because his mother couldn't shift didn't mean she didn't have enhance hearing.

His question caused me to blush, embarrassed to look at his mom before he could say anything else his mother spoke.

"I'm pretty sure it has to do with shock, I'm too young to be a grandma," she said humorously trying to lighten the mood.

"Are you sure? Do you need me to stop?" Duke asked in the same worried tone.

"I'm ok Duke, it's just the fire. There was people in that building, innocent people that died in that fire and," I couldn't even continue with what I had to say.

"Oh sweetheart, there was nobody else in that building. It was my idea to burn it down, it held so many bad memories I just wanted them gone." Dani said quietly while giving me a much-appreciated side hug.

"You see that building was more like a prison for one, he kept me there with no way to escape and little to no human contact. I have someone who comes over and leaves me with food, allows for me to bathe and cleans up before leaving. They take my wheelchair with them, leaving me no choice but to stay there. Nobody was inside but me tonight," Dani said sadly and my heart broke for her.

How can her soul mate treat her like this? I could feel Duke's anger in the front and I knew he was probably feeling 10 times worst.

There were no words to justify how Danielle was treated, what do you say at a time like this. I wanted to reach over, hug and kiss Duke until some of the pain lessened. I wanted to hug the sadness and pain in his mother's voice but a hug wasn't going to fix anything.

We will make him pay, my wolf growled in my head. Pay for hurting mate and his mother.

Note:

Fell Free to check out my other werewolf story A second chance, it's way different than this one and I'm trying out a new way of writing a story (so don't judge it too harsh). Also A Second Chance was featured on Scriblyz facebook ---> http://bit.ly/2n8jZOj (used a link shortner but it'll go to FB, so you can check it out comment and like please. I'm going to submit this story to them but I'm waiting until it's done or on the last 2 chapter.)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/100598902-a-second-chance-a-werewolf-story

com/story/100598902-a-second-chance-a-werewolf-story