Chapter 6

It took about 4 days for Lauri and Ariel to notice something was different about me and kept asking me about it. I brushed it off as just happiness that school was almost over, which was partly true.

8 days later mom tried to take my temperature because I asked her to teach me how to make some of her desserts with strawberries in it, starting with her cheesecake. It's not that I couldn't cook, I just didn't like to cook or bake.

"Ray, get me the thermometer. Melody is sick" mom had yelled to dad, who came rushing down the stairs with the emergency bag.

"What's wrong with her?" Dad asked with worry eyes. I had just stood there, looking at my mother like she grew an extra head.

"She asked for me to teach her how to make my cheesecake" my mother whispered as if I wasn't in the room. Dad looked stunned, and then burst out laughing. "Really guys, it's not funny and dad stop encouraging her"

Instead he kissed my forehead and kissed my mom's before walking out. (Us and mate) said my wolf and I had to agree and smile at the small exchange.

3 days later I made mini strawberries cheesecakes for a snacks and watched Duke ate all but the two he fed me during one of our secret picnic dates.

It took 15 days later for me to start noticing something was up with Duke. Plus 7 days of him avoiding me that confirmed something was wrong. I should have seen the sign, but I was busy enjoying having a mate.

Tomorrow will make it day 42 since the last time I saw him, since the last time anyone one pack saw him before he was taken by rogues. I thought I would be over it by now, but just thinking about it feels like its taking place right now.

The memories and pain came flashing back just from that simple thought.

After 7 days of not seeing Duke, and my wolf whining in my head for his wolf, I got a text from him asking me to meet him in our spot. I hope he tells us what's going on, I can't deal with the secrets, I thought (me too) said my wolf quietly.

I made it to out spot and found Duke waiting for me, his back turned from me as he watched the lake, but I knew he could tell I was there the way his back stiffened.

The moment he turned around, I knew I wasn't going to like what he had to say, his face was blank and his eyes held no warmth or live for me in it just blank.

I couldn't move, I was frozen in my spot. I've never seen him look like that, my wolf whimpered in my head from the cold treatment her mate was giving us. Instead of walking towards us he turned back around and I thought he was going to ignore me again, so I decide to take a step closer maybe even hug him. But I barely got to arm's length before he started speaking. "This is an alpha's command, you will not tell anyone regardless of rank that I am your true mate."

An alpha command on your mate, I was confused and hurt but I had to accept "yes alpha I accept" I heard myself answer him in a detached voice and saw him visibly flinch from the tone I use.

"Are you going to tell me why?" I asked in the same tone, although I could already tell what the answer would be like.

Instead of an answer I got nothing but silence. We stood there, his back to me, this attitude towards me, why I asked my wolf.

"I Duke Verne reject Melody Ann Jameson as my mate"

It took a couple of seconds for the pain to hit me and for my brain to realize what had happen.

"Why" I cried as the tears poured from my eyes

"Accept the rejection" was all he said

"No, not until you tell me why. You can't just reject me and not tell me why you ass hole" I yelled before grabbing a rock off the ground and throwing it at him.

He still remained silent, so I started throwing more rocks at him, until he yelled for me to stop and turned around to face me.

By then my vision was blurred from crying and my heart was hurting. "Please just accept it, Melody" he sounded almost as broken as me, but how could he be hurt this was his idea.

"You know what fuck you Duke, I Melody Ann Jameson accept Duke Verne rejection. Good riddance, I hope whatever reason because you to reject me was worth it because I will NEVER ACCEPT YOU AGAIN!!!" I yelled at him before throwing the last rock at him and walking away deciding not to look back.

2 days later the Alpha called a pack meeting and announced Duke found his true mate, I thought this was his crazy way of apologizing but instead he walked out with Blair.

"I would like to introduce the pack to my mate Blair Knight" he spat out causing everyone in the audience to look shock. At that moment I felt like I couldn't breathe, it couldn't be worst then that I thought but it got worst "and we're expecting our first pup" said Blair happily, everyone in the audience gasps and I felt my heart break completely, the tiny string of hope that was keeping it whole just broke.

I could feel Duke Eyes on me and I could hear the commotion going around, people demanding to know why he hasn't marked her, why are they just now telling us this?

"Quiet down everyone" Duke's father yelled at the crowd

"Tonight Duke will mark her and you'll have your new alpha female and soon an heir. We kept their relationship a secret to protect the pair, as you know rogues have been kidnapping alpha females. But now we can celebrate my son finding his mate and their mating tonight. "The crowd cheered but like a broken record my mind kept repeating "he'll be marking her tonight". Marking her would make it permanent, it was true he really picked her over me. I could feel my wolf trying to force her way out of me, as my heart crumbled, the pain from the betrayal becoming too much before I passed out.

"Oh Melody, I'm so happy you're awake" my mom said rushing to me and hugging me.

"Where... what's going on mom?" I asked her

"You had food poisoning sweetheart and passed out at the pack meeting"

Food poisoning, that's not right I passed out because Duke betrayed me. I don't know how long I was out for but I needed to know did he already mark her. I had to find out if I was spared the pain, "did the marking already take place?"

My mother looked pained for a second before answering me "it never happened, Duke was taken by a rogue who was attempting to kidnapped Blair. He's been gone for the past 3 days, everyone is looking for him and poor Blair her mate is missing and she's pregnant. "

It took a couple of minutes for everything to process before I found myself crying again for the missing mate that betrayed me.

That was the last time I saw Duke, and although he rejected just imagining what he's going through right now at the hands of those rogue, always brought a fresh batch of tears.

(I miss mate) said my wolf and I nod yes while the tears slide down my eyes and I feel asleep.

<Thinking about changing Melody name to Janelle, should I? Once again this is a raw chapter, so plenty of errors I will fix later on.>

I would love for someone to comment, even if it's to say hi.