Chapter 7

"Melody sweetheart, can you please tell us what's going on? You've lost weight and you rarely smile or talk anymore. Did something happen?" my mother asked again like she does every week since that day and every time I give her the same answer," I'm good mom."

"Something is not right with her, Ally" I heard my father whisper to my mother before I walk out the house.

(We have to stop this) my wolf said to me after a few minutes of silence 

Ya we do, there's no point in making everyone else suffer I responded back. 

(Yes we are better than this)

I agreed, I was better than this and I was going to go back to being myself and move on from it all. Starting with a box of blue dye I said to my wolf, and with approval, I decided to skip school today and head to the store and pick up some hair dye. 

I got home a couple of hours later to find mom and dad still in the kitchen. 

"Melody what are you doing home? Did something happen at school?" my mother asked worriedly 

"No mom, I just wanted to dye my hair"

"You skipped school, just to dye your hair this is so unlike you Melody. You could have waited till after school" my father responded instead 

I didn't know how to answer his question or let him know dyeing my hair was my way of getting back to being me and thank god for mother's because my mom seemed to understand this and instead pulled my father aside and whispered something in his ears so low, I couldn't even hear it. 

"Fine go ahead but don't let this happen again, you got a couple of days left in school no need for you to be skipping," my dad said with a smile

"Thanks, dad and you too mom," I said before giving him a hug and my mother a kiss on the cheek. 

I ran upstairs and started the process of dying my hair, my favorite color blue. 

While waiting for the dye to set in, I thought about how crazy it was the week after Duke went missing. Everyone in the pack was looking for him, Blair was hysterical and the Alpha was short-tempered with everyone. The most awkward part was when the Alpha had a meeting for the un-mated females, it was the weirdest meeting ever.

"This might be weird but I need to know if any of you ladies were rejected by your mate sometime last month?" he asked looking over the crowd to see if anyone showed a reaction. I remember asking my wolf if he was talking about us and if we should say something about Duke being our mate, although he told everyone Blair was his mate. But my wolf said no, and I kept quiet wondering why he needed to know. 

"You will not be in trouble, you see before my son went missing he told me one of you ladies was claiming to be his mate and in order to get her to leave him alone he rejected her," he said with quotation marks around the word rejection.

  A couple of the girls in the crowd gasp and of course started looking at each other to see if they could pick up or sense who it was. In order to not stand out, I did the same thing, I looked at the girls sitting beside me and the one behind me but still, I said nothing, my wolf continued to encourage me not to say anything. 

By the time the meeting was over the Alpha was even more stressed out than before, I watched as he walked out the room with Blair following right behind him. 

I haven't thought about that meeting since that day but now as I wait for the dye to set I couldn't help but think of how weird it was, Duke never mentioned anything about a female pretending to be his mate, so I don't understand why the Alpha was asking those questions.

(He was searching for Duke's true mate) my wolf said. 

So the Alpha knows that Blair isn't Duke's true mate, so why not just tell the pack the truth I asked my wolf. 

(I don't know) she answered.

Later on that day,

I ended up calling Lauri over for a movie night with me and Ariel because I missed them especially Lauri since I've been giving her the cold shoulder. 

"Melody girl I am so mad at you, I really wanna know why you abandoned me for so long. I thought you loved me" she whispered the last part and pouted before I had a chance to respond Ariel hopped in the conversation with a hand over her heart and her head tilt back. 

"You, what about me? Her beloved little sister, if only you knew how much I missed you. You were like a missing person" she said pulling herself back together while Lauri nodded to show that she agreed with Ariel. 

"Ladies, I am sorry for how I've been. Just a lot of stress and pressure but your blue hair diva is back so stopped with drama activities and let's make up for the lost time." I said with my arms wide open waiting for a hug. They looked at each other first then me before running at the same time into my open arms and hugging me. (I miss this) my wolf said and I had to agree. 

"I'm glad you're back to being you again" my sister whispered before letting me go and I felt a little sadness wash over me because honestly, I would never be me again. The me I was before Duke is gone, and that's ok I can be a better me now I thought. 

I spent the rest of the night with my best friend and little sister watching movies and laughing, it had been a while since I laughed and it felt good. I was so happy that both Lauri and Ariel did not pry into why the sudden changes in my attitude, they knew one day I would explain it all to them but today wasn't the day and for that I was grateful.