Chapter 16

Melody's pov

Wow, everything Duke just told me, sounds so surreal. Blair and Alpha Daniel are intimate and the baby is actually Duke's half-sister or brother.

The fact that he didn't reject me because he actually slept with Blair or believed that she would make a better mate for him than me, left me with a sense of relief.

But now I don't know how to act around him, I understand why he had to reject me and I'm not mad anymore. Even knowing it, I can't get the image of him rejecting me out my mind and I don't know how to go back to being the lovey-dovey couple we were before everything happened.

"What are you going to do Melody?" I said out loud while getting dressed in the clothes that Duke took from my closet.

The clothes smelled like home, and that alone caused me to start crying. Crying for the home I left without saying goodbye and the mate that left to protect me.

"Hey Mel, I was wondering if um you wanted to go into town with me," Duke asked outside the door, he sounded unsure and not like his usual confident self.

I don't want to stay in this cabin all day, might as well go see this town with him I thought.

"Sure, just give me a sec to put on my shoes".

"Alright, I'll be in the kitchen when you're ready" he answered.

Dressed out and out of the room, I head to the kitchen to meet with Duke.

"You look great," he said with a smile when he saw me.

"Thanks," I said with my own smile.

"Ready," he asked.

I just nodded yes and before feeling a light version of the sparks that mate feel when he grabbed my hands to walk me out.

"I miss this" he whispered so low, that I knew it wasn't meant for me to hear so I decided not to comment on it.

I got on the passenger side of his blue truck and Duke got in the diver's seat and off we went.

Just 5 minutes into the car ride and I was itching to talk about anything, but I wasn't sure what I should say or how to start a conversation with him. I didn't want to discuss any other big issues right now, I just wanted to feel some type of normalcy between us.

"So what happened to the blue hair?" Duke asked breaking our silence and my thoughts.

Should I tell him the truth, that I went through a depressed stage after he left and couldn't bring myself to dye it blue again and instead dyed it back to its original black color?

"I like it like this also, not that it matter. Whatever color your hair is, it still looks good on you," he says after I haven't answered his question in a while probably thinking that I didn't want to talk to him or something of that sort.

"Actually, I just bought some hair colors the other day and I was planning on adding some highlight to my hair but then I got kidnapped," I said and giggled at the last part.

"I'm sorry for that by the way, just taking you away from your home not even giving you a chance to decide for yourself. I was being selfish Melody and all I could think about was what I wanted. I wanted my mate and crazy because the person I wanted the most is the person I end up hurting the most."

"I understand now why you did what you did, and.." I didn't get a chance to finish before he interrupted me

"No Mel, you don't understand. I did everything without thinking about how it could all affect you, only thinking about me. I know I said I rejected you to protect you, but I honestly did it to buy time to create my scent masking formula so I could escape. The day I left I could have taken you with me, I didn't have to wait all this time just to kidnap you. I did so much wrong and I don't fault you for hating me Mel." he could barely get the last part out, the part about me hating him.

But did I hate Duke, no I didn't I answered right away in my mind.

Even when he rejected me, I couldn't bring myself to hate him, I was angry at him but I didn't hate him and I'm not going to let him spend the rest of his life thinking I ever hated him.

"I don't hate you, Duke, I didn't hate you when you reject me, I was angry but I didn't hate you," I said and watched him flinch at the word reject but nods his head in understanding.

"Also, after learning the truth I can't blame you for the way you handle the situation. You did the best you could do with the situation you were in, did you make some mistake yes but did you also accomplish your goal and the answer is yes. Whether it was for a selfish or selfless reason, your goal was to protect me from your father and you did that Duke and I can't thank you enough for that." I said and noticed that Duke's eyes were getting watery, I didn't want to make him cry so I said nothing else and held the hand he wasn't using to drive.

"Thank you for saying all that," Duke said after a while and I kissed the back of his hand in acknowledgment.

We ended up spending the day walking around the town and purchasing a couple of small items for me. It was the most relaxed I've seen Duke looked since I've woken up and as the sun went down we decided to grab a bite to eat at one of the diners in this town.

We walked in and right before we could make it our booth a pretty blond, blue eyes, heart-shaped face girl literally skipped to where Duke stood next to me and gave him a hug that lasted too long for my liking.

"D!! Where have you been? I missed you so much" she said reaching over to hug Duke again but I pulled him back and she had to catch herself before falling on the ground.

"Omg, D why didn't you tell me you had a sister," she said looking me up and down.

"She is so cute, she looks like you," she said giving me a sly smile like I didn't know what she was doing or at least trying to do.

More than anything I wanted to punch her and show her who looked like sisters and brother but I wasn't going to. This was Duke's friend, or associate or whatever so it's his responsibility to put her in her place or else I'll have to put him in his place.

"Actually Anna, this is my girlfriend. The one I'm always talking about, you saw her pictures the other day on my screen when you ask to use my phone." Duke said then proceed to give me a kiss on the cheek and a small oh left my mouth.

It's been a while since we kissed and even though it as just a small peck on the lips, it left me with a big old smile on my face. I had tuned out the conversation between Duke and Anna and took my seat in the booth. Tired of standing and giddy from that kiss, "oh ya she does look like the girl on your phone, my bad" Anna said before our waitress showed up.

"Are you guys ready to order yet?" asked the older lady.

"Not yet, just give us a couple of minutes" Anna answered for the table.

"Do you mind if I eat with you guys, it's been a while since I saw Duke and it'll be a great way for me to get to know your girlfriend?" Anna said to Duke.

"I just got her back Anna and I would like to spend this time alone with her, maybe some other time you can get to know her. Tonight I just want it to be us" he told her while waving her off and looking me in the eyes with a smile on his face.

I smile back and said, "ok so what's good at this diner",  ignoring Anna.

*** As always don't forget to like and follow me please and thank you.

**** My new Story (exclusively on Scriblyz >>>> https://scriblyz.com/series/37)

Check it out please and leave me a comment letting me know you came from Wattpad.

SECOND CHANCE MATE (it's a werewolf story)

"You don't deserve this second chance" he sneered at Rayna with crystal blue eyes that often looked her way with hatred. But in reality, if anybody should feel hatred towards them, it would be Rayna.