Chapter 26

Melody's POV

We drove in a comfortable silence for a while, each of us lost in our own thoughts. At this point I don't even know what I was thinking about, my wolf quiet, leaving me to my thoughts.

"He used to be my hero," Duke broke the silence in a whisper.

"What happened to him?" I whispered.

"I don't know, he might have always been like this but before my mom's accident, it was different. He would tuck me in at night and proudly show me off to his friends and the other Alphas. It wasn't until what happened with my mother, did I see the kind of man he really is," he said.

"Duke, if you don't mind me asking but what happened the night the pack attacked," I asked unsure of how he would react to it. Instead of responding he quickly glance at me before taking a deep breath.

Shaking his head, he took another deep breath before speaking, "nobody really knows what happened that night."

"There's talk of what happened but nobody knows for sure except for my dad and mom. I was young, confused, and scared when the attacks started. My mom hid me in a closet as cliche as that sound but I remember her whispering your dad will be here soon. But he never came, I could hear her fighting the rogues and the last thing I heard was the glass window breaking."

He paused and shook his head again, I didn't know what to say. How do you respond to something like that, I really wanted to hug him but decided to settle for holding his hand since he was driving.

"I".

I started to say but stopped when he squeezed my hand, right now wasn't the time for me to talk.

"I remember hearing rumors before he forced people to stop talking about that night. That the rogues were here for my mom, they were supposed to kill her but instead left a crippled wolf. For the longest, I didn't believe it, but after how he treated my moms and what happened with Blair, I don't know what to think now."

Nothing was said after that if this was a couple of months ago, I would of assured Duke that his father would never do something like that. But I couldn't bring myself to say it, I couldn't lie to Duke like that because something inside of me was already blaming his father. Everything was somehow tied to that man, he either created the problem or is in the center. Abusing his power, mistreating his mate and taking advantage of his pack. He's not the alpha, leader or man I thought he was, at this point I don't even know who is our Alpha. I know there are two sides to every story but what could justify his actions, nothing he could say would justify this.

"I spent so many years just hating him for everything and it wasn't until I met you, things changed. It's been nothing but drama since we found each other but I'm glad, we found each other. I love you Melody and no matter what happens I'll always love you." My heart skipped a beat and next thing I know his lips were on mines and it felt like I was floating on cloud nine. "Soul mate," my wolf whispered in my head and I couldn't agree more. "Now, say it back" my wolf snapped ruining the moment and bringing me back to reality.

"I love you too, with all my heart and soul," I whispered over his shoulder, before placing a soft kiss under his jaw.

Taking a sharp breath, he pulled back and pointed outside to what looked like a prison minus the barbwires.

"When did we get here?" I asked quietly, this couldn't be the place his mom was living in.

"Before I started kissing you," he smiled.

"Focus Romeo, this place looks like a prison. Do you think your mom is still there?"

"Yup, she's still here".

"Ok, well let's get her out," I said with a new sense of determination.

Duke took a quick look at me and smile before nodding, "ok".

The plan was simple, in and out.

I would keep watch, Duke using the masking spray would sneak inside and escape out the back with his mother. As soon as they were in the car, we would drive off and nobody wouldn't know she was gone until morning.

Simple, in and out.

But somewhere along the lines of me keeping watch, Duke sneaking his mother out, we ended up driving away with the building on fire.