Chapter 10

Lauri's POV

For the first time, I had nothing to say, I couldn't speak. It felt as if my mind was slowly processing and breaking down the news that Melody is gone. My best friend is gone, she just picked up and left without saying goodbye.

"Are you sure she didn't tell you anything about a mate, Lauri?" Mrs. Jameson asked me again and although I can feel my head nodding, I don't have the voice to say it. Melody found her mate and didn't even tell me. We're best friends and she couldn't trust me with that detail, (she's your best friend, there has to be more to the situation.) my wolf chimed in.

"I..." I tried to speak but couldn't say it, much less concentrate on my thoughts with Ariel crying and Mr. Jameson trying to comfort her. Mrs. Jameson keeps asking me the same questions, I decided to step out of the house.

"Where are you going?" I heard Mrs. Jameson call out and Mr. Jameson quickly telling her "give her some space to think, she'll be back".

Space to think was exactly what I needed, after all, Melody's phone was left behind so there was no way we could contact her.

I wasn't going to go far from their house, after all, I needed to tell her parents about how she's been acting lately. But in what seemed like minutes I found myself outside the Alpha's house just staring at it. How long I stood there, I don't know or even why I was there didn't make any sense. But my wolf wouldn't allow me to leave or to stop staring, something was causing her to focus heavily on the Alpha's house.

"What are you doing out here?" Snapped Blair opening the door to the house, which shocked me out my trance.

"Hey Blair," I said quietly, couldn't even bring myself to snap back at her.

"So do you want something or not?" she snapped again.

I took the time to stare at Blair and noticed her belly was growing, and she was starting to show more and I felt a bit of sadness for her baby. Her mate and the father of her child was also missing, I hope Duke is also ok I thought.

"No sorry to bother you, a lot on my mind. I see your belly is getting bigger, you must be missing Duke." I said

"I'm carrying an Alpha, of course, my stomach is getting bigger." Was her only response.

"Umm ok, well I see you soon and I hope they find Duke soon," I said

"Of course they will, we have everyone out looking for him. My mate will be home soon and I'll be your Alpha female once we complete the matting." She answered with a smirk on her face which for some reason cause my wolf to growl at her.

"Excuse me, how dare you growl at your Alpha female? You've always been jealous of me Lauri and once I become Alpha female I'll make sure you stay in your place and good luck finding your stupid friend that ran away with that rogue." She yelled before closing the door in my face but not before hearing another growl come out my mouth.

Forget her, I told my wolf calming her down, we have to focus on finding Melody. (She will never be my Alpha female) my wolf said and I couldn't help but smile at that.

Couple of minutes later I was back at the Jameson house and I was ready to help them find my best friend.

"Lauri you're back" said Ariel while hugging me.

"Yup, sorry about earlier Mr. and Mrs. Jameson I was just having a hard time believing that she's gone. I just talked to Melody and after the past couple of months of her being depressed, she was acting like her old self. I don't know what happened to make her depressed, she never wanted to talk about it. Since she was back to her old self, I figured sooner or later she would tell me what happened. I don't know how I can help, but I'm going to stay here and help you guys find Mel." I said.

"Aren't you suppose to leave soon to travel around and find your mate?" Mr. Jameson asked

"Lauri no we would never ask you to pause your life, we know finding your mate is important to you." Said Mrs. Jameson

"Melody right now is more important to me than that trip, I couldn't enjoy that trip knowing she was missing. I just couldn't, please let me help" I said

"Thank you Lauri" Mrs. Jameson whispered.

"Lauri, can you spend the night?" Ariel asked all of a sudden and looking at her red swollen eyes, I couldn't say no. Melody was my best friend but she was Ariel's big sister, I can only imagine the pain she was going through.

I stayed also for dinner with the Jameson, which unlike their normal dinners filled with laughter and jokes this was quiet. Nobody really paying attention to their food or eating.

"I wish there was a way to find out if any of the other packs have heard anything about those rogues. The Alpha didn't tell us much when Duke disappeared and he's the alpha's son." Said Mrs. Jameson breaking the silence.

"What about Lauri?" asked Ariel?

Everyone turns to look at her to continue "I mean the Alpha already gave you permission to travel to the other packs to find your mate. So while looking for him, you can also look for my sister." She said stunning the already quiet room into an even quieter atmosphere.

"Wow that's a great idea, Ariel, I could gather information from other packs and see if anyone heard of the rogues taking people," I said

"No, no, no this sounds dangerous." Said, Mr. Jameson

"Yes we can't have you traveling around, alone like that Lauri" Mrs. Jameson added.

"I'm not traveling alone, it was going to be a surprise for Melody but my cousin Oliver and Parker are coming tomorrow to travel with me," I said excitedly.

"No it still sounds dangerous." Said Mrs. Jameson

"It's not I was already planning on visiting those packs, an extra question about rogues won't bother anyone." I defended

"Let's sleep on it." Mrs. Jameson said again and everyone decided to leave the conversation at that.

That night I slept in Ariel's bed and watched her fall asleep determined whether Mrs. Jameson agreed or not I was going to help them find Melody and get answers from her.