Chapter 23

Ariel POV

"Good afternoon sleepy head," dad said when I came down.

"Afternoon, already".

"Yup, you slept in today. What's going on?" he asked with concern.

"Nothing dad, I kinda stayed up late last night talking to a friend," I told him quickly. He had enough on his mind with mom and Melody still missing.

He smiled, but it was one of those smiles that didn't reach the eyes and you can tell it was fake.

"That's good to hear sweetheart," he said before placing a kiss on my forehead and walking out.

After dad left and I made something to eat, my phone started ringing.

"Ariel, is everything ok?" Lauri asked.

"umm ya, are you ok Lauri?" I asked

"We didn't talk last night, we always talk and I help you fall asleep. I stayed up waiting for you to call then I got tired and fell asleep."

Wow, now I felt bad about spending two hours on the phone with Parker I totally forgot about Lauri and how she's usually the one who stays up with me until I fall asleep.

"I'm so sorry Lauri, I kinda forgot."

"How? Did something happen with your mom?" she asked quickly.

"No, I kinda lost track of time talking to a friend". I was kind of hesitate to say friend, but I didn't want her to know it was her cousin Parker.

"Oh ok, was it a boy?"

I bust out laughing, why would she assume it was a boy.

"Why would you think it was a boy? It could have been Taylor."

"The fact that you laughed before answering, just confirmed everything," she said before giggling.

"Just a friend, but Lauri I have a question. What happened to the pack Luna?"

"I don't know, why are you asking about her?"

"No reason, just curious. I never hear about her or see her? With Duke missing I thought maybe she could talk to my mom" I lied.

"Your mom doesn't need to talk to her and Ariel I don't know why but the pack don't talk about her. Don't ask the Alpha about her either, I don't know why but we were always told not to ask about her."

"Ok thanks, Lauri. Well, I gotta go, I'll call you tonight."

Something was wrong here, why can't we ask about the Luna. It didn't sound like she was dead, so what happened to her. I decided to go and find mom and ask her if she knew anything.

I found her in the bedroom she shared with dad just sitting reading a book.

"Hey mom, can I talk to you?" I asked her quietly.

"Come on inside, and talk to me," she said

I came in and sat next to her, not really knowing where to start.

"Your hair got longer, are you thinking about cutting?" she asked me.

"Oh, I didn't even realize it. Do it look nice?"

"You look pretty with it, let it grow out some more. So what did you want to talk about? Boys maybe?" she asked

Really, why is everybody assuming it's a boy.

"Oh, it is a boy, you're blushing. What's his name?" she asked with a giggle.

"It's not what you think, he's just a friend."

"So what's his name? Are you going to bring him over? I want to meet him".

No way was Parker coming over or my mom meeting him, last night was probably just a mistake.

"Actually mom, I want to talk about our Luna. I want to know what happened to her?"

"Oh, did you ask the alpha?" she whispered

"No, I tried Lauri but she didn't know anything and I thought you might know something."

"Go close the door," told me.

"Why? what's going on?"

"Just close the door, Ariel," she said through gritted teeth.

What's going on here? Mom never acted like this in the past, what is it about the Luna that's making everyone act out of character.

A part of me was starting to freak out, I closed the door. But before I could turn around and face my mother, I actually considered whether or not this was safe.

"Now I want the truth young lady, why are you asking about the Luna?"

Should I tell her the truth, I've never been one to lie to my mother but I wasn't sure of how she would act if she found out the truth.

"Come here, I'm probably scaring you and I'm sorry. But nobody talk's about Danielle for a reason and the fact that you're here asking about her is weird. I know the only reason for that is because you found out something."

I still didn't know what to say, this was the first time I heard the Luna's name.

"Her name was Danielle?" I asked

"Her name is Danielle, our Luna is still alive. She's not dead, she was my best friends until she found out Brad was her mate. Everything changed afterward, she had to be the Luna and I wasn't mated to your dad. So I wasn't important enough to be her friend, according to Brad that is. It wasn't until she had Duke, things changed and I started seeing more of her. So please tell me what you know, out of everybody I'm the only person who's not under an alpha command when it comes to Danielle."

"Ok mom, I'll let you everything but you have to promise you won't freak out."

"I won't freak out Ariel, I can handle anything you found out about Danielle."

"It's not really about Danielle, more like what happened to Duke and Melody and that's why mom I don't know if I can tell you. "

I could see the automatic change in mom's eyes after I mentioned Melody's name.

She took a deep breath before pulling me into a hug. " I love you and Melody so much and I want her back. But I would never do anything to put you or her in any danger. The fact that you were able to ask about the Luna means that whatever you heard, came from the Alpha's mouth. I'm probably gonna be pissed off with what you found out but I promise I won't act out and try to attack anyone."

Her words gave me all the confidence I needed to tell her the truth. I was already tired of keeping this secret. Knowing that my mom wouldn't do something stupid, made telling her an easy task.

" Well, I think Duke is Melody's mate and he kidnapped her because the Alpha forced him to reject her for Blair, who's really pregnant with the Alpha's baby," I said quickly.

"I'm going to need you to slow down and start from the beginning Ariel, can you do that?" she asked and I nodded before telling her everything.

*** SPECIAL REQUEST

Hey guys, I'm sorry this chapter was late, I've been working with  this on this project and it's taking a lot of my time. But if you can help me by taking this short survey then I'll have time to finish this story. So if you can help me by taking this survey, I would greatly appreciate it http://bit.ly/2gys5dT .