Chapter 31

Melody POV

"We're stopping now, so if anybody need to use the bathroom now is a perfect time," Duke said stopping the car at a pit stop. The parking lot was filled with cars and RV'S, a gas station and a restaurant. Looks like a town was a couple of miles from it and people came here to camp in the woods that were near.

So, there's probably other wolfs other, we should be careful, I thought.

"Don't worry they won't be able to sniff us, we're wearing the scent repellant," Duke said as if he read my mind.

"One day you're going to have to tell me what's in this scent repellant, and how you came up with it," Dani Duke's mother said in the backseat.

Truth be it told I was curious about it also, how did he come up with and what would happen if it got in the hands of the wrong people. Mate will keep us safe trust him, my wolf said.

"Mel darling, would you mind accompanying me to the restroom," Dani asked.

"Oh ya, it's no problem. I also gotta use it, " I said.

"I can take you the restroom mom," Duke said.

"Aww sweetheart, you do realize I'm a grown woman and you're an adult male. Imagine how that would look if you took me to the restroom. Stop your worrying, go get us some snacks and leave us ladies to handle our business."

I stop myself from laughing, Dani was hilarious and the look on Duke's face after getting told by his mother was priceless.

"Really babe, you're teaming up with my mom and laughing at me." Duke teased me before placing a sweet kiss on my cheeks. 

"Your mom is right there, stop," I said blushing.

"Don't let me stop you, I want some grandbabies." Dani teased me and I turned beet red from embarrassment. I was so not ready to have a child anytime unlike Duke who had a proud smile on his face.

"Well come on let's go, Mel, Duke go get the snacks."

"Alright then," he said before kissing me and his mom on the cheeks.

We walked in the gas station and headed straight to the girl's restroom while Duke looked around. A young blonde girl, who looks like she was in high school was working the register and I could see a couple of customers walking around.

We quickly used the restrooms, washed our hands and left to look for Duke.

"I never thought I would get a chance to meet my son's mate. For the longest, I thought I was going to die in that place without ever meeting the women who was made for my son." Dani said quietly and left me speechless, I didn't know what to say.

"Growing up I use to also wish your mother had a mateless brother, so he could be my mate and we could be family forever. Funny how it all worked out, we ended up being family in the end. How is your mother by the way Mel?"

"My mom is good probably worried sick about me, I have a little sister Ariel. She is so cute and such a drama queen but I love her. Growing up she never talked about you but then again nobody in the pack ever talked about you. It was like forbidden, I never thought it was strange until now. I'm sorry"  I said.

Dani grabbed my hands and held it, "there's nothing for you to be sorry about. Brad made it so nobody could talk about me not even your mother."

The way she said the not even your mother broke my heart, it seems like my mother was Dani's only friend and to have a friend who you consider a sister banned from talking about you must really hurt.

Shortly after that, we found Duke with an arm full of beef jerky and protein milk.

"Please don't tell me that this is it and you've already paid," I asked him.

"I was on my way to pay now, got everything."

I took one look at Duke's mother who was looking at him as if he had a third eye and started giggling.

"Ya, I'm not eating that," Dani said before heading towards the chips aisle.

"I'm following her," I teased Duke and followed his mom.

"Melody?" a teary nervous familiar voice whispered behind me.

I knew who it was but my body refused to turn around and face her. I wasn't ready and it felt like everything slowed down and I could hear every step she took. The ground below me shook with every step, my heart had stopped beating and tears where silently coming out my eyes.

I could see the look of concern and worry on Dani's face and I could feel Duke's eyes on me. I could tell he was also frozen in that moment, neither one of us thought we would run into her here. She finally reached me and touched my shoulder, the familiar touch broke the spell and I turned around. With teary eyes, I was face to face with my best friend.

"Lauri" I whispered.

She pulled me into a hug and we cried.

"Who is that?" Dani asked Duke.

"Mel's best friend, Lauri," Duke said.

"How did she find us?" Dani asked.

"I don't know, "Duke said.