𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

Finally, Wang Yibo stood in front of the room, facing the lump on the bed and to his utter shock, Xiao Zhan was facing the doorway too.

Yibo was faced with the softest, most beautiful man. This man's hair was sticking everywhere, face seemingly more puffed up than usual due to sick. His usually-bright eyes were locked on Yibo, squinting, red-rimmed.

All this just made the Yibo's chest clench even more so—a number of emotions joining the already-mingling feelings. Love. Fondness. Love. Yearning. Worry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I haven't been here. I haven't been here for you. I failed you!

"Wang Yibo?" Xiao Zhan got up from the bed, astonishment and something else written all over his face.

"Zh...Zhan Ge..." Wang Yibo called, his voice shakier. Rougher. The crack in his voice very obvious. He watched as the man in front of him sharply with tear stained eyes, hoping to all the gods he can transfer all sense of security and love to this one beautiful man.

Xiao Zhan just stood there rooted on the spot and it took him a whole five minutes to recover.

"What are you doing here?" He finally spoke but Wang Yibo could hear the strain in his voice. His breathing seemed harsh from the way his chest went up and down. Zhan's one hand was under the blanket hiding how hard he was gripping on the bed sheet.

Wang Yibo was caught off guard for a moment at the question. "To see you."

It came out as a whine this time. It was a very broken whine, a very wet whine, a very pained whine. Yibo felt a lump forming in his throat but he kept his jaw clenched. He took an inhale through his nose, exhaling softly so as to keep himself intact.

Xiao Zhan shut his eyes, trying to calm himself from all the emotions he was feeling right now, counting from one to three before answering. "Please leave. I really don't want to see you. Not now and never!"

It hurts. Zhan treating him like this hurt. But Yibo knew he deserved it.

Sobs started spilling Yibo's mouth, the sound of sniffs engulfed the room.

The lump on Yibo's throat was starting to hurt and his vision was starting to get fucked up considering he couldn't really force down the overwhelming feeling of everything at that moment.

His omega wasn't saying anything—probably won't say anything.

Every time the younger man had felt his mouth open, it would be drowned out by more uncontrollable sobs, and he can't really blame himself. He won't push himself to talk. Instead, he let himself whisper encouragements, whisper words of comfort. Just to make himself better so that he could make Zhan better.

It's okay.

I'm here.

Zhan ge is here.

We are here.

Together.

"Just. Leave. Wang Yibo." Xiao Zhan's voice pierced through the silent room and deep into his heart.

Truth be told, no matter how they fought in the past, Zhan had never used that kind of tone with Yibo. He had always been kind, no netter how furious he was. Soft. Gentle. Never like this.

"I'll happily leave once we have a little chat, Zhan-ge." Yibo said, trying to sound normal, shrugging his shoulders, shoving his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

He did not want to spend the time crying. He was here to talk to his beloved and he just do it befire Xiao Zhan disappears again, which, he hoped that that, he would not let it happen. At least, not this time.

Xiao Zhan bit down fiercely on the inside of his cheek. He did not want to speak to Yibo. He wasn't ready for it and he knew that there wasn't a necessity for it. But... but he knew Yibo was stubborn. And he wouldn't stop pestering him until he gets what he wants.

"Let's get this over with," Xiao Zhan said stiffly, glancing over Yibo and to the room opposite, in which A-yaun lay peacefully asleep.

He couldn't help but watch as Yibo's eyes take in the apartment, lingering on the yellow-stained walls, the absence of a fridge and cooking range, and the plastic table with a kettle and a rice cooker that serves as the entire kitchen space.

And then, his eyes were back on him.

"Where were you during the past three years?" Yibo asked, sniffling his cries.

He had to be strong!

"I've been so worried about you, Zhan-ge," Wang Yibo said quietly, waking up to Xiao Zhan and taking his hand within his, holding it for the first time in three years.

Xiao Zhan's eyes widen when Yibo carefully grasps his hand. The other man is crouching at his side, his blue bangs falling endearingly into his dark, dark eyes. His hold is so gentle that Xiao Zhan can't bring himself to pull away.

In the face of such earnest, genuine kindness, Xiao Zhan could not hold onto his ire. Feelings that he was been suppressing bubble up to the surface. He was tired, so tired, and Yibo's compassion was enough to have a rush of traitorous tears pricking his eyes.

But still, he could not do this!

He could not give himself away to Yibo once again and end up hurt.

For now, he wasn't alone! He had a baby to take care of!

Xiao Zhan instantly pulled his hand away. "If you are done, leave."

Yibo's eyes started to well up in tears but he willed himself not to blink for as long as he was still in Xiao Zhan's room. But despite his best efforts, Yibo's tear rolled down his cheek, involuntarily.

"I'm really sorry," Wang Yibo cried. "I am sorry for leaving you alone at the hotel that day. I am sorry. Please... please forgive me!"

"I have got nothing to forgive you for." Xiao Zhan's words were cold, void of any emotions. "We are mere strangers."

"No!" Wang Yibo could not take this anymore. "Zhan Ge please... I know you are angry with me. You have every right to be angry with me. But... but please... don't push me away. Please... I... I cannot live without you. You... you are my..."

"Wang Yibo!" Xiao Zhan yelled.

Wang Yibo was taken aback by Xiao Zhan's tone and when he looked up to meet the others' eyes, he was surprised to see it burning with tears and... anger!

Through clenched teeth, he heard Xiao Zhan hiss, "You better remember this well. We. Are. No. Longer. Married."

And that, was enough to break every little part of his heart that he had within him, alive.

But now, dead!