五十二

chapter fifty-two!

GAUCHE

THIS IS NEW TERRITORY

To him, it's the unknown; a forbidden place that's never been that easily accessible. The Sakanoshita Market was the farthest that Kageyama has ever ventured into that's owned by the Ukai's [well, except for the lessons at the previous coach's home] and no more than that. He's never thought about what lies beyond this store either because there really wasn't any reason to—until now. Right behind the counter was a doorway that is covered by a traditional curtain. He didn't know where it led to until Mina entered and ushered him over, to which he found out was a little passage between the store and the house. The passageway was a little dark, faintly lit by a bulb that looks like it needed to be changed. On the sides and corners were boxes of stock, half-empty crates of drinks and other miscellaneous goods for the store.

"Sorry, a little messy right now because new stock," Mina smiles sheepishly before she slides the door open. "But come in!"

The girl takes off her shoes and sets them aside before moving to let the boy inside as well. If he could be honest and speak his mind out loud, Kageyama was quite nervous. He hasn't really been to other people's homes except for relatives, let alone a girl's home— who specifically is his girlfriend. His first home visit was his girlfriend's host family's home. A mere thought of it was so strange and when he told Mina, the girl could only laugh and say that she is honoured that she is his first. Again.

But that mere fact alone wasn't enough to create a short circuit in his brain. It's that a few minutes ago before they entered the place, Mina told him that there wasn't anyone present in the home except for the two of them. Them, alone in the house. A smile is plastered on her lips when she says that, so casual and unbothered that it felt like what she said wasn't such a big deal.

Was it not a big deal?

Because it was—to him, at least!

At some point, he second guessed himself and thought that perhaps he's overthinking this and that this must be quite common. But as he steps into the home and the homely scent lingers in the air, he swallows quite heavily. It felt like he was peeling another layer of Mina, to be able to see where she's spent most of her time outside of school. Kageyama could feel the heat rising to his ears and cheeks when there's the typical, hormonal teenage boy's thoughts festering in the back of his mind. He takes a deep breath and thinks of Hinata's stupid face to calm himself down before following Mina ahead of him.