五十三

chapter fifty-three!

GAUCHE

THERE WERE ONLY A FEW OCCASIONS where Mina had felt nauseous from an overwhelming surge of emotions

THERE WERE ONLY A FEW OCCASIONS where Mina had felt nauseous from an overwhelming surge of emotions. The first time she did was on a stormy, Christmas evening at their relative's house in Gurye. With the sharp breeze of the winter night nipping at her skin, her relatives clapping in unison as if it served as an encouragement for her to sing, and her cousins' stares and giggles burning behind her back—it didn't take long until the discomfort in the pit of her stomach festered and she puked all over her beautiful, red dress. As a result, Minji being the more vocal one, spoke up on behalf of her and screamed at everyone with such a high-pitched shriek that only a six-year-old girl could project. Though she might have told them off with such a bossy tone, the message didn't have the intended impact since the tradition continued for years.

Then, there was her first Taekwondo competition where she puked before the game [got a nasty bloody nose and a chipped tooth, which was a traumatizing aftermath for a young girl]. It's gotten better over time, but it's not to say that the nausea is completely gone. It's been there when she had to leave her family for Japan or when Kageyama confessed to her—not that it was awful, but it was quite overwhelming for a girl who had never been romantically inclined before; and then when she sang in front of the whole school.

And also, now.

At six-thirty in the morning, still partially dressed with her school's button-up shirt on and some pyjamas. The light from her laptop screen cast a faint glow against her face, with eyes wide and frantically rereading the lines over and over again in hopes that she was not mistakenly changing up the words in the email. Though it was so bizarre, so unexpected that with the slightest bit of hope that she was holding onto, had grown into something more than she could have ever imagined.

Once again, congratulations on your evaluation assessment and securing a second-round audition! In the upcoming weeks, we will be contacting you to discuss the next steps...