三十七

chapter thirty-seven!

GAUCHE

"Congratulations!"

"Congratulations!"

AS THE DIRT CHEAP confetti erupts from its lousy packaging and creates a mess for many to clean after, it's followed by a series of applauses as to congratulate the umpteenth winner of the many games held inside the classroom. And while the students hand out the prize— Teriyaki burger coupons from a nearby fast-food chain at that! Mina on the other hand, raises her head from the depths of the flour bowl, a lone marshmallow situated in between the crack of her lips. With the white powder smeared all over her face, the brunette poorly resembled a Geisha's pale face.

Now, Mina didn't exactly mind digging through flour with her face like a hound dog tracking an animal, but the fact that she lost consecutively to folks was more than enough for some slight frustration to be expressed. She swallows the snack, wiping away the excess powder from her face and turns to congratulate the customer as well. Albeit a bit peeved from her losses, a smile forms on her lips until the customer heads out of the class doors.

"Wow, zero wins and fourteen losses," Arima hums when he skims through his clipboard. "Don't you think you're being a bit too nice on the customers?"

Mina wasn't being nice, not at all. She tries to focus at the task given but there were factors that caused some inner disturbance; like the fact that in about two hours, she was supposed to perform for a mass of people— the whole entire school alongside visitors, she should say! That gnawing idea in the back of her mind constantly throws off her focus and she ends up palpitating at the thought of it.

"Not being nice," A strained smile forms on her lips, taking another piece of tissue from its container before wiping away the smeared flour on her face. "Just... really bad at game."

A poor excuse at that but she believed the white lie momentarily relieved her from the weigh of the stress. She didn't have the courage to tell their class representative what troubles lie in her heart, let alone anyone else for that matter. It might be too childish, she thinks, to tell them the idea of wanting to run away— irresponsible too, surely.