十六

chapter sixteen!

GAUCHE

Exams were only a month away

The end of the school term was closing in and summer break was inbound, but before anyone could truly bask under the warmth of the sunlight and revitalize themselves by jumping into the ocean's blues, there were exams to conquer— the worthy ones claimed the fulfillment and joy of being free unlike the ones who failed. There were make-up tests to redeem themselves and if not; well, one could only imagine the trouble of it.

Mina could vividly reminisce the scene of how the exam week played out back home— it was dull.

A regular school routine that most South Korean students had was the same as Mina. She woke up around seven in the morning, prepped up for school and got there an hour after. And then classes ensued, like any school out there until the end of the day, which was around four in the afternoon. Normally, it would've ended there but there was cram school too— another place to take extra time into honing your skills in different subjects; it was night school, if described right.

Another four hours were spent in that establishment, being confined in the same space as kids from different schools who gathered to increase their chances of getting good marks. And then Mina went home at eight, finally stripped out of the school uniform that felt suffocating. She ate her meals alone often times because of her mother's job; being a nurse split their times together in small pieces. Plus, her father was a doctor too so that added up to the complication. Her own sister attended school overseas as well.

And when it was all cleaned up, she sat in her room again and studied.

She constantly reviewed the notes written on the notebook while the videotape of the online course teacher on the tablet played out in the background.