五十四

chapter fifty-four!

GAUCHE

THERE'S A HARSH TOUCH TO THIS WINTER

It was far colder than before. The temperature plummeted, stealing away sensation and gnawing at toes, regardless of the thickness of socks. Mina absentmindedly toyed with the frayed strands of her scarf on the desk, casting occasional glances at the door. Being alone in the classroom created an eerie stillness, as if she inhabited a world of her own. The quiet was both gentle and unsettling, with only the sound of the wind and snow against the window panes breaking the silence.

She was lost deep in her thoughts when the doors slid open and she looks up, the small smile on her face slowly faltering. In the soft glow of the pale blue light casting from the snowy weather outside, with hands and cheeks flushed from the frigid weather, he held such a look which Mina feared to see on his face. A mixture of emotions that swirled in those eyes of his were veiled behind a hardened mask, brows furrowed as he bit his lips like he was holding back a million things to say right now. A simple glance was all it took for the dread to settle in the pits of Mina's stomach. She prayed for days and nights that something like this would never happen, but fate doesn't always play kindly in everyone's favour.

A silent interlude lingered between them. Mina exhaled slowly, her gaze descending to her lap, where she absently fiddled with a small, torn piece of skin beside her fingernail. There's so many ways this could play out and the only way she could settle her anxiousness was to distract herself with something, even though she's supposed to be saying something right now. She should be saying something— anything to explain her point of view but nothing comes out of her mouth. Mina bit her lips to fight the stinging in her eyes, acutely aware that a wave of emotion was about to overcome her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He finally speaks up after a while, his voice resonating in the quiet classroom. The faint sound of the cold wind outside subtly weaves through the silence. "Or were you just planning on leaving without saying anything?"