‣ six

Even in her darkest moments, a blank canvas has the power to reveal its true colors without the need for a paintbrush in motion.

▲

Aurelia waits outside on the steps of the house, staring at the time on her lock screen. Only an hour has passed and she knows that Jackie isn't coming back any time soon, especially after her conversation with Aiden and what she heard. The male probably makes sure she doesn't come back, but Aurelia needs to talk to her. Her mind couldn't rest with the secrets and thoughts on leaving without at least trying to explain the situation to her roommate and causing her distress.

She wants to call her parents, but that would defeat the purpose of her wanting to go to school a state over, away from them. Aurelia remembers her father telling her that college is best experienced with independence.

"Exploring the campus, talking to people, and being completely away from parents are a few things that make college life fun." Her father told her as he helped move her things to the car a few days ago. " I know your momma is worried sick about sending you off, but just know I trust you. I trust that you can and will make the right decisions, ladybug. Make your own path for your life, we can only take you so far."

Aurelia remembered crying in her father's arms after he told her that. He knew she was nervous because this would be her first time officially being alone. Of course she had experienced other incidents where she was alone, making her own decisions and being independent when she was in high school. However, this is the real world. Aurelia is fully aware that she needs to grow up, and part of growing up is handling issues like this without being too anxious or nervous about it.

Aurelia stands from the step she is sitting on and grabs her tote bag. Nothing was inside it beside her pepper spray, wallet, phone, and her headphone. She had planned on just pulling an all-nighter at the local twenty-four library not too far from her dorm to avoid Jackie, but that's not going to cut it. Running away isn't going to solve anything, she needs to tell Jackie now, at this moment.

As she walks away from the house, Aurelia dials Jackie's number, wanting to ask her where the party was and if she could talk to her. There's just no way she would unblock Aiden's number, she was way too familiar with guys who use their charms and good choices of words to manipulate.

Though, during the days she has come across guys like him, they were always guys from high school. Unfortunately, their manipulative ways weren't always directed at her. Most of the time they were directed towards Sabrina, but fortunately, they had each other's backs and always pulled each other out of anything that didn't feel right. Like the one time a guy from her high school was at a party, and he kept wrapping his arms around Aurelia's shoulder, making her feel more uncomfortable than she already did being alone. Sabrina had stepped away to go to the bathroom, but the guy was nice at first, talking to her normally, but it turned uncomfortable and pushy when he started crossing boundaries: putting his hand on her shoulder and waist. When Aurelia finally said stop, he didn't take that for an answer. Which caused Sabrina to help her the moment she got back from the bathroom,