‣ thirteen

Within the fortress of anger, shielding all it touches, art emerges as a sanctuary for our reality. However, unlike anger, art chooses not to conceal but to reveal, unraveling the tapestry of emotions, ensuring that no sentiment remains hidden or untouched.

▂

Aurelia sits at the counter in the small kitchen space. Her phone is pressed against her ear and the purple gel pen is resting on her bottom lip. She waits for the call, trying to drown out the terrible background music. It has been twenty minutes since the man on the other end told her to hold. Twenty hold minutes of the same song being played over and over again. Her arm grows tired as she waits, causing her to pull her phone from her ear and just deciding to end the call. She lets out a long sigh before scratching out the retail job number and location on her notepad.

"I got thirty minutes before my next phone interview," she murmurs to herself as she reaches for her mug filled halfway with tea. "Thirty minutes to apply for more campus jobs."

Aurelia slowly begins to search the campus website, looking through the open positions available. She didn't need the money, but it would be irresponsible of her to spend the money in her savings account for little trinkets and other things when it could be saved for something important. Her parents made sure she was comfortable with money during her college days, but they didn't want her to rely on their money.

"You never ask for money," her father said as he chopped onions to put in the soup he was making. Her mother was on her way from the hospital, since she was done with the important patients already, and her father wanted to cook since it would be the first time, after a while, since they all sat down at the expensive dinner table to eat. Aurelia was sitting at the kitchen island serving as verbal support, since her father never really taught her the ways around the kitchen.

"But since You're moving out and to another state in less than a month, I think we should have that conversation." He continued before he began to chop the other half of the onion.

Aurelia picked up half of the carrot that he chopped and bit into it. "What conversation?"

"The money conversation." Her father swiped the onions into the medium sized pot and wiped his hand after with the towel that was hanging over his shoulder.

"Your mother and I saved up a little over thirty thousand in your college funds. The school you're going to attend in a month, tuition is no joke, but the money should help you get by for your first two years." Her father began to explain. "But you need to look for jobs earlier on, because who's to say that this art thing is going to help with financial stability?"

That day, she thought it was a no-brainer that she would need to find a job, but her father seemed troubled. Like, he wanted to tell her something but couldn't find the right words.

"I know. I know I need back plans just in case my art does get me nowhere." She told him with a smile, so he wouldn't feel guilty for saying what was on his mind. "That's why I'm also taking art history, and with my degree, I can always become an art teacher. A teacher just like you, pops."