‣ twenty

Misunderstandings often weave themselves into the fabric of our interactions, transforming the delicate threads of communication into a nuanced dance of interpretation. In art, where expression transcends the boundaries of language, misunderstandings become the brushstrokes that add depth to the canvas of perception. Just as shadows define the contours of light, misinterpretations cast intriguing shadows upon the landscape of artistic dialogue, inviting us to explore the nuanced interplay between intention and reception.

▬

Nina was nothing like she imagined. Aurelia barely had anything to go off of. When Elijah told her that Nina agreed to meet her, she just started picturing what kind of person she would be like. She was really just hoping she wasn't nothing like Jackie. Nina is tall, pretty, and judging from her speech behavior, she could tell that she holds herself up to a very high standard.

"You're Nina?" She sniffles a bit, carefully wiping the tears from her cheek.

Nina smiles and walks towards her again, the sound of her sparkling heels bouncing off the empty bathroom walls. "Indeed, I am. I'm surprised Elijah didn't tell you anything about me. Then again, I'm not too surprised, but he did tell me a lot about you."

Nina takes the tissue from Aurelia's hand and carefully pat her tears away for her. Shy, Aurelia utters a small thank you before watching the woman toss the tissue in the bin. Aurelia found it hard to believe that Elijah talked about her. He hardly talks to her and she lives with him. However, she could tell just from that smile on Nina's face, that it had to be good things he told her, right?

"He did tell me a brief description of you, and your name. That's it." Aurelia explains, causing Nina to nod before linking arms with her.

"Well," she utters softly close to her ear. "Now that we found each other, let's take a walk around the event and get to know each other. Talking about Elijah will cause great boredom within."

Her tone is dramatic and Aurelia could tell it was a playful joke. She smiles and nods, allowing the beautiful women, who made almost everyone turn their heads, guide her through the event. As they stand in front of another artist's work, Nina unlinks their arms and walks closer to the piece.

"Maneater," Nina reads out softly, she crosses her arms and reads the description quietly. "Their words are stunning."

The painting was different shades of red, but the texture from the brush and sponge technique really did look beautiful. With the different hues, and texture, there is a clear picture of a woman in the frame. Aurelia stares at the canvas in awe, wondering how they master that technique so beautifully.

"Are you an art major?" Nina asks, her eyes still on the Maneater as she waits for Aurelia to speak.

"Oh," she clears her throat a bit before nodding. "Yes. Did Elijah not tell you?"