‣ nineteen

Life, much like art, is subjective and open to criticism. Constructive feedback is invaluable, but it doesn't negate the validity of your emotions. Your feelings are allowed to be felt, and your opinions are allowed to be shared. Just because someone says your art is terrible or questions your worth doesn't mean you have to pretend it doesn't hurt. Embrace both the vulnerability and strength that come with expressing yourself through art and navigating the canvas of life.

▬

It's Friday and Aurelia's clearing off the final table of her shift at the cafe. As she cleans the table, her mind goes to the big event for the night. She doesn't know what's making her more nervous. The event itself or the fact that she's meeting Nina. She knows nothing about Nina, besides the fact that she's Elijah's friend.

It did feel good that she would be moving out tomorrow, but she still feels like there's a lot to be said. Elijah has been giving her that cold treatment, and since that day with Andrew, he hasn't been back to the penthouse. She spent the next day alone and confused. Aurelia replayed what went down in her head, but she still didn't understand why he's suddenly treating this way.

"What's got you deep in thought, mama." Desiree, her co-worker, asks as she wipes the counter down. "Did you have a fight with that fine friend of yours?"

Aurelia shakes her head and walks towards the counter, a slight frown resting upon her face. "How do you know for sure if someone's avoiding you?"

Desiree tilts her head and laughs. "It shouldn't be that hard to notice. They won't talk to you, try their best to not be in the same room as you. They might flat out ghost you."

"What did I do?" Aurelia whines as she sits at one of the tables close to the counter. "I didn't even say anything that would make him so cold and distant."

"So this is about a boy, right?" Desiree asks, leaning over the counter, resting her chin on both hands. "Is this about that friend of yours?"

"No. Another guy. A guy that's so confusing to understand." Aurelia tells her, watching her sigh before switching from leaning on both hands to one.

Desiree observes her carefully. "Maybe it has nothing to do with you then."

"What do you mean?"

"Perhaps he's avoiding you because of his feelings about himself," she explains, tossing the towel she was using on the side. "Basically nothing he's doing has anything to do with you. Maybe he needs time to get his thoughts together to talk to you."

Aurelia looks down at her hands, nodding as she listens to the woman talk to her. "If that is the case, I wish he would've told me he needs some time alone. The silent treatment really has me sitting here thinking I did something wrong."

"I'll see him later tonight though." She avoids Desiree's eyes this time. "I don't even know why I care so much. I can't even understand my own feelings."