▸ thirty-four

Dancing is like being intoxicated by the rhythm, a swirl of emotions spinning you into a state of euphoria. Yet, within each twirl lies the grounding reality, reminding you that even in the midst of abandon, there is a truth to every step you take.

▂

Andrew steps off of the bus and begins to walk along the sidewalk. He shoves his hands in his sweatpants, walking with his hood over his head. It didn't take long for him to see where the party was being held. There were people laughing and gathering at a house. As he gets closer, one of the guys looks at him. The crowd standing around begin to huddle up to him, as he makes a complete stop.

"Aye! Drew's here!" He greets, giving him a fist bump. "Damn dude Where have you been?"

Andrew shrugs as he looks around, trying to spot Sean, but unfortunately he is not outside. "I've been around, but you know me. I can't miss a party. Even if it's Aiden's party."

As the crowd laughs at his serious statement, one of the girls in the crowd smiles at him as she clings onto her boyfriend's arm. "Are you going to be dancing tonight? Please tell me you are."

Andrew smirks before shaking his head. "Unfortunately, I'm not staying too long."

"Boo," they all say in unison, before drinking and passing the rolled up weed around.

"What's the point of coming if you weren't going to stay until the end? That's no fun Drew!" Another guy complains playfully before finishing his drink off.

Andrew shrugs as he is handed the weed, he smokes it slowly, already noticing the cheap taste from it. He hands it to the next individual as he intakes it. The cloud of smoke pours from his mouth and into the air.

"Yeah," he chuckles as he shoves his hand back into his pockets. "Well, I have some people waiting for me, so I need to talk to Sean and then I'm going to blow out of here."

One of the guys, holds his cup to him, pushing subtle so it wouldn't look like he's urging him to take it. "How about one shot? I hope you aren't planning on staying here without taking at least one shot right?"

Andrew pulls his phone out, looking at the time, before shaking his head. "Not tonight, the weed was enough."

The male nods to the crowd as they all playfully boos him in the background. As he walks up the stairs to the small student home, he fists bumps a few people, greeting others verbally, and moves past others to find Sean. He wanted Sean to tell him everything before he decides to confront Aiden and everyone else in his friend group.

As he gets deeper into the party, he begins to see it. The zombie-like individuals stumbling around, a large smile on their faces. It looks familiar because he used to look the same way. He used to feel the same high when he first popped the pill Aiden had given him. He grabs the first guy that bumped into him and pulls him away from the part in a semi-empty room.