▸ twenty-seven

Successful dates, much like successful pieces of art, are crafted with care, attention to detail, and an understanding of the beauty in imperfection. Just as a first date can leave a lasting impression, a beloved artwork has the power to captivate the soul and evoke emotions that linger long after the encounter. Both experiences are enriched by authenticity, vulnerability, and the willingness to embrace the unknown, creating moments of connection and inspiration that endure through time.

▬

Aurelia watched with a smile as Elijah strolled back to the car, carrying a bag brimming with food. After their museum visit, they wandered around the area, admiring the majestic pieces of art that were too grand to be confined within museum walls, instead displayed outside. They snapped photos, and for once, Aurelia didn't feel the usual shyness creeping in when being photographed.

Back in high school, Aurelia often found herself either hiding her face or avoiding participating in photos altogether. She lacked confidence and felt insecure about her appearance in pictures. However, she didn't mind capturing moments of her friends or her artwork. Being in front of the camera just wasn't her thing. But when Elijah stealthily snapped a picture of her admiring the outdoor art, she couldn't help but feel beautiful, especially when Elijah made sure she knew it.

The evening was still young, but dusk was approaching. Elijah settled into the driver's seat of his sleek gray car with a soft sigh. Aurelia glanced over at him, extending her hand to offer assistance as he adjusted himself in the seat. Despite not ordering much—she craved a chicken sandwich while he opted for a burger—they decided to share a large fry. He also grabbed a couple of bottled waters, considering Aurelia's preference for something non-sugary. As he handed her the bag, Aurelia reached into the back for his jacket, the one he had left behind when he picked her up, and draped it over her lap.

"Thank you," she murmured, smiling at the sweet gesture. "You really didn't have to, but thank you anyway."

"Well, I just thought you wouldn't want to risk getting your outfit dirty," he chuckled, taking the bag from her hand. "Here you go."

Elijah handed her the chicken sandwich first before grabbing his own burger. He placed the bag in the center compartment, positioning it between them for easy access to the fries.

"Did you always dream of running a tattoo parlor?" Aurelia inquired, unwrapping her sandwich and taking a satisfying bite, her gaze drifting everywhere but towards Elijah.

"Actually, no," he replied between bites, trying not to speak with his mouth full. "Surprisingly, my mother always pushed my brother and me towards the creative path, but she was more focused on Arthur's success than mine. It became evident pretty quickly that my mother only wanted one of us to be the family's shining star."

Aurelia winced at the revelation, covering her mouth with her hand as confusion washed over her features. This time, she looked directly at him. "What do you mean?"