‣ eight

In life, like interpreting art, perspectives differ. Yet, as artists grasp their creation's truth, those intimately involved in a situation often hold a deeper understanding of its reality.

▲

 ▰

Aurelia takes a deep breath, staring at the blank canvas in front of her. She was under a lot of pressure, and seeing the girl to her right and the person to her left just, sketched away overwhelmed her.

"Remember, don't think about it," Arthur, the famous artist who decided to spend his off season teaching at her university. The same artist she became so obsessed with when she first started high school. "If you spend time thinking, you take away the time you have to feel. Just put your pencil to the canvas and sketch."

Nibbling at her bottom lip, she slowly begins to move her pencil across the blank canvas. Two medium sized circles. They were perfect circles, a skill she perfected when she took her first art class. However, she couldn't move any further than that. Her thoughts were slowly creeping in, making her hands shake.

"Simple."

Startled, she turns her head towards her teacher, Arthur, the man with paintings that could make a blind person cry. His work is amazing and here he is, eyeing her sad excuse for a beautiful piece. Aurelia knew she had other pieces, ones she would be more than confident enough to show him, but this, this wasn't her, this was not her best. After uttering the most heart crushing words about her unfinished, barely started, work he walks away, eyeing the other students in the class work.

Aurelia swallows down nervously, looking down at her hands before closing her eyes. Here she thought art history was going to be tough. Something told her to wait until the next year to sign up for this class, but she knew she wouldn't be able to be guided by the best. Arthur is the best, having him mentor her was the only reason she really wanted to be accepted at the school.

"Don't worry," the girl beside her whispers. "I took his class two years ago when he was teaching Australia, and freshmen never make it up to this point. So clearly you have some talent."

When the girl turns back to her work, Aurelia just sits there and sighs before bringing her pencil back to the canvas. After the class is over, Aurelia takes the large blank piece of paper and puts it neatly in her large bag. She could see a lot of the students asking him questions, and even joking around with him. She knew she was the first freshman to ever be accepted in one of his classes, but she could tell the other artists were on a whole other level compared to her.

"Think of those pieces as final exams," Arthur announces to everyone as people stuck around and others pack up. "Fail to impress me and yourself, you failed this class."