‣ fourteen

In the existence of humans, our mistakes compose the harsh notes, but it is the harmonious colors of regret that paints growth and transforms the art inside our souls into a masterpiece on the canvas we call life.

▬

Aurelia has her knees up to her chest as she stares at the butterfly sun-catcher hanging from the rear view mirror of Elijah's car. The butterfly looks like the butterfly tattoo on his forearm. It was royal blue and hot pink, two colors she couldn't imagine going so well together.

"Pretty." She murmurs, turning her head to look at the male pacing back and forth outside the car.

The muffle sounds of Elijah's voice fills the silent car, as he has a conversation with someone. Someone she did not know. Someone she is curious about but not for the reason the campus may believe. She's curious if this person can help her. If this person can finally get her out of the student housing she was so excited to live in the beginning. Now her longing dream is turning into a nightmare.

Elijah ends the call, and sighs out of frustration. He turns around and knocks on the passenger side window. Aurelia presses the button down, letting the window down enough for him to lean into the car.

"Judging from your expression," she shyly leans away from him and avoids eye contact. "There's no one to help me out of this situation."

Elijah sighs again. "Not even my influence can help you get a new place."

Aurelia sighs and tucks her head into her knees, hugging herself tighter.

She didn't want to stay a night in the house. She didn't feel safe. Aurelia has nothing to do with everything that's going on with Jackie and Aiden. Judging from the way the man talked to her on the phone, assuming it was Genesis, they have done things together a lot more. Even Jackie confirmed that Aiden cheated more than once.

So why?

Why is she the only one suffering from this? She has nowhere to go, and she doesn't want to stay in the small home anymore. Aurelia could feel the tears coming again, and her mind clouding with doubts and regrets. Scary thoughts.

"Hey..." Elijah's smooth voice softly fills her ear. "Calm down. There's this senior I know, I think she doesn't have a roommate. If we talk to her, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

Aurelia peeks from her knees, staring at the pretty male, who's smiling but his gaze is filled with cautiousness. He's more than likely thinking about his choice of words before he says them. He reaches into the car, his thumb gently brushing the tear from his cheek. "Don't cry, okay? There's no need to be afraid anymore."

"Is this even allowed? Am I allowed to move houses?" She asks quietly before looking at him with panic in her eyes. "What if the school-"

Elijah holds his finger up to his lips and shakes his head. "Don't worry about what the school would say. You want out of this situation, right? Trust me."